Adorama wants your gear, and they are also offering special financing options for all of the new Canon gear

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Adorama is offering a few options for people looking to grab themselves any of the new Canon gear, such as the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 mirrorless camera bodies.
Special Financing Through Adorama EDGE
Don’t have $4000 just hanging around for a new camera? Check out the Adorama EDGE credit card.
No Interest if Paid in Full Within 6 or 12 Months*
6 Months Special Financing available on purchases of $199-$799.99. 12 Months Special Financing available on purchases of $800 or more.
Only valid on purchases made with the Adorama Edge Credit Card. Interest will be charged to your account from the purchase date if the promotional purchase is not paid in full within 6 or 12 Months. Minimum monthly payments required.
You may also split the purchase between the EDGE card and any other payment method...

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Interesting, they appear to be offering $700 for a 5D3....I guess that's not bad.

However, just looking on eBay, they appear to be going in the $900 range (plus shipping).

I've not checked the local craigslist, but I"m guessing you could get that much just selling locally?

cayenne

As for eBay, barring a sellers promotion, you're giving them 10% selling fees plus Paypal fees. Plus the time answering what are honestly a bevy of stupid questions.

The route with Adorama is just quick and easy, but not for everyone.

There is zero risk of getting scammed either.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
As for eBay, barring a sellers promotion, you're giving them 10% selling fees plus Paypal fees. Plus the time answering what are honestly a bevy of stupid questions.

The route with Adorama is just quick and easy, but not for everyone.

There is zero risk of getting scammed either.
Yeah, the zero risk of getting maybe slightly less makes this much more appealing than eBay/Craigslist.
Now I just have to figure out whether to sell my 5D4 as I intended... or actually sell my R.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Interesting, they appear to be offering $700 for a 5D3....I guess that's not bad.

However, just looking on eBay, they appear to be going in the $900 range (plus shipping).

I've not checked the local craigslist, but I"m guessing you could get that much just selling locally?

cayenne
I have sold a lot of gear on ebay. The problem is that buyers can suddenly decide a week or two later that they don't want the item after all and make up bogus excuses as to why it wasn't as listed, etc. to get a return. Happened to me twice. Then I am out shipping costs both ways, risk a bad mark if I try to stop the return at all, etc. It can get scary with big ticket items. I decided just last week to pull down all my listings for my vintage lenses because a single buyer was making it all a living hell. When I sold my very lightly used 600EX-RT speedlites two years ago, one guy bought 3 and the transmitter at auction. After he got them he decided he'd paid too much and was trying to shake me down and refund a portion because my other four sold for less each individually. Took me a month to get back my speedlites. Never selling on ebay again after this past week's drama with a vintage lens buyer. Too stressful for me. I'll just try and sell locally from now on and avoid the hassle.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I have sold a lot of gear on ebay. The problem is that buyers can suddenly decide a week or two later that they don't want the item after all and make up bogus excuses as to why it wasn't as listed, etc. to get a return. Happened to me twice. Then I am out shipping costs both ways, risk a bad mark if I try to stop the return at all, etc. It can get scary with big ticket items. I decided just last week to pull down all my listings for my vintage lenses because a single buyer was making it all a living hell. When I sold my very lightly used 600EX-RT speedlites two years ago, one guy bought 3 and the transmitter at auction. After he got them he decided he'd paid too much and was trying to shake me down and refund a portion because my other four sold for less each individually. Took me a month to get back my speedlites. Never selling on ebay again after this past week's drama with a vintage lens buyer. Too stressful for me. I'll just try and sell locally from now on and avoid the hassle.
Just today, I had a buyer ask for a return/refund...because he didn't read the description. I made certain the sale was perfect to the letter. I told him he made the error and if I accepted the return I would have more work to do, I did my part correctly. You screw up, you deal with it. Now he can list it. (Waiting for the other shoe to drop and it turning into a Paypal dispute...)

On that note, Ebay is actually very pleasant compared to my dealings with Adorama used sales dept. I have posted that story here before which Craig deleted. I understand. There may be no scam or risk but it will not be the experience you think it is.

Oh and my 5D3 works just fine, worth WAY more to me than $700-900

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Just today, I had a buyer ask for a return/refund...because he didn't read the description. I made certain the sale was perfect to the letter. I told him he made the error and if I accepted the return I would have more work to do, I did my part correctly. You screw up, you deal with it. Now he can list it. (Waiting for the other shoe to drop and it turning into a Paypal dispute...)

On that note, Ebay is actually very pleasant compared to my dealings with Adorama used sales dept. I have posted that story here before which Craig deleted. I understand. There may be no scam or risk but it will not be the experience you think it is.

Very true. I had a real bad experience selling to KEH a few years ago when I got rid of all my EF-s lenses and non-L EF. I take extremely good care of my things. KEH painted a very rosy picture until they got it from me. Then they practically wanted it all for almost nothing. Sold it locally for at least 5x what they wanted to pay.

Ebay can be a mixed bag. Who buys the gear can make all the difference, whether they are honest or not. I sold my last RF lens the other day on ebay. My 85mm. :cry: I can't begin to explain how relieved I was when the buyer sent me a note saying, "Perfect. Just like new. Best lens I ever had." That pretty much closed the door to him contesting anything. Most people are honest, but it just takes one guy to bigly and yugely ruin the day. Tremendously incredible. ;)

Upvote 0

I used to use Ebay. I thought about dealing with Adorama/B&H for selling used gear, and even went as far as getting a quote over the phone. And then I tried KEH and have sold several items that way.

Upvote 0

I think I had a similar experience. Make sure you realize that the price they quote you as the value of your gear is not what you will get, but what they base their 30% profit on.

Upvote 0
Kind of a crap shoot. Adorama is obviously being overly generous compared to B&H quotes, but B&H has never once tried to come back and say my stuff was worth less once it arrived. However, B&H once did lose my stuff once – showed delivered but never got checked into the used dept. Eventually they agreed it had been too long (a month!) and sent me a check anyway. eBay can be its own nightmare.

Always a risk no matter how you get rid of equipment that something will go wrong or you will feel like something went wrong. Just realize you'll probably get a little less than what Adorama quoted you once they get it and discover it's not the grade you think it was. Everyone thinks their gear is Mint+, and it rarely is.

Upvote 0

Hi CanonFanBoy!
Hey, I had the same problem with eBay a couple of times. Do you know of an alternative for eBay? I wonder if you had some experience and/or success with a similar site. I would love to learn from your experience.

Thanks mate!

Upvote 0