Firmware: Updates available for RF lenses with image stabilization for use with the EOS R5 and EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released new firmware for the Canon RF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM to add compatibility with the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6.
Canon RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM Firmware Version 1.0.7 incorporates the following enhancements:

The lens-based image stabilizer function works together with the camera-based image stabilizer function to achieve greater image stabilization effects with EOS R5 / EOS R6.

Download firmware v1.0.7

Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Firmware Version 1.0.7 incorporates the following...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am not seeing these updates on the Canon USA website. Do we know when Canon USA will release the updates? Please advise.

Thank you,
John

Sometimes they appear on other sites well before Canon USA. It's the same firmware, so Canon Poland is just fine.

Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
Interesting. I really hope it helps fix some of the issues with the warping/wobble w/ the 15-35mm. (Case in point, peter mckinnon's recent vlog is almost unwatchable). I have the R5 +15-35 on pre-order so a bit important to me.

*edit: I do realize that UWA + IBIS has a tendency to be like this in alot of setups, but this is the most severe i've seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
How does one update the firmware on a lens? Does Canon have a dock I need to buy like with the Sigma lenses?

Put the .FIR file on the card, put card in camera, go to the 'firmware update' in the spanner menu, select the lens and follow the instructions on the screen.

And Canon covers it in the PDF they include in the update package.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
I really hope it helps fix some of the issues with the warping/wobble w/ the 15-35mm. (Case in point, peter mckinnon's recent vlog is almost unwatchable).

I don't think that is an issue with the IBIS. That is how IBIS generally looks in the corners of video from very wide angle lenses. As far as I remember mckinnon also reminds himself on not shooting ultrawide video with IBIS.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

xanbarksdale

Canon Collector
CR Pro
Jul 18, 2019
Kentucky
Interesting. I really hope it helps fix some of the issues with the warping/wobble w/ the 15-35mm. (Case in point, peter mckinnon's recent vlog is almost unwatchable). I have the R5 +15-35 on pre-order so a bit important to me.

EXACTLY what I was thinking. It's pretty bad in some of his shots, I'm really looking forward to seeing how much this helps.

Side note, IBIS looks great for photography and a lot of hand held video shots, but I've been really disappointed in how bad it looks in the two vlogs PM has posted using it w/ the 15-35.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I believe IBIS will be very helpful especially when combined with IS lenses like when shooting still subjects in low light situations. So no matter what I say about not getting R5 any time soon, eventually I may get one IBIS R series camera.

Amd I just wonder how a downscaled 45mp image of R5 will compete with the 20mp image of R6 for these low light/high iso situations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wanderer23

CR Pro
Feb 8, 2020
I don't think that is an issue with the IBIS. That is how IBIS generally looks on video for very wide angle lenses. As far as I remember mckinnon also reminds himself on not shooting ultrawide video with IBIS.

Ah yes, I've seen this using a 12-24 on sony FF and 10-24 on fuji's apsc, but this is by far the most severe i've seen - definetly another level. Although given how bad sony ibis is for video i'm not overly surprised and the fuji does indeed have a smaller sensor, but while sometimes its annoying, its not usually nauseating like this.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0

WriteLight

Landscape and Architecture, R5
CR Pro
Mar 15, 2020
Des Moines, IA
Upvote 0