Industry News: Nikon announces the entry-level full-frame Nikon Z 5, a new lens and teleconverters

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nikon Expands the NIKKOR Z Lens Lineup with the Addition of the Extremely Compact and Versatile NIKKOR Z 24-50mm f/4-6.3 as well as the new Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0X and TC-1.4X; Nikon Also Announces Free Webcam Utility
MELVILLE, NY (July 21, 2020) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the Z 5, the new full-frame (FX-format) entry-point into its award-winning lineup of Z series mirrorless cameras. The Nikon Z 5 combines sophisticated features inherited from the Z 7 and Z 6 with the benefits of Nikon’s next-generation Z mount at an unprecedented value. For those new to mirrorless or creators looking to push the limits of their craft with the power of full-frame, the compact Z 5 will exceed expectations. With an incredibly robust feature set, including in-camera vibration reduction (VR) image stabilization (IBIS) and the perfect balance of seamless automation and full manual control, creators can effortlessly share their artistic passions...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
D

Deleted member 381342

Looks like a lovely wee Camera, I just finished a wee over view video(Ricci Talks) on it and it seems to hit all the marks for a entry level FF. Still was hoping to see the Z6s and Z7s announced with it, but it looks like they'll be a longer wait before I can compare these to the R5 and R6.

The biggest flaw here with the Z5 is it just can't compete with the RP on price, and that is where I feel this could have been aimed more squarely at. Camera manufactures are going to be pushed kicking and screaming into the sub £1000 FF market.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Looks like a lovely wee Camera, I just finished a wee over view video on it and it seems to hit all the marks for a entry level FF. Still was hoping to see the Z6s and Z7s announced with it, but it looks like they'll be a longer wait before I can compare these to the R5 and R6.

The biggest flaw here with the Z5 is it just can't compete with the RP on price, and that is where I feel this could have been aimed more squarely at. Camera manufactures are going to be pushed kicking and screaming into the sub £1000 FF market.

I agree, the price segment they went for is sort of in no-mans land.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I agree, the price segment they went for is sort of in no-mans land.

It is currently more than I paid for for my new Z6 (£1,399.99). And if we compare the the Z5 is £1719 with the 24-50 and the RP is £1359 with the 24-105 IS 7.1 edition. So going into a camera shop to buy my first camera: Canon is cheeper, has a longer zoom, both have IS(I won't care what kind of IS), and both are SD(and I won't care that one has 2 slots).

From a pro point of view it could make a good second camera like the Z6 does, but the Z6 is still there.

Upvote 0
Looks like a lovely wee Camera, I just finished a wee over view video(Ricci Talks) on it and it seems to hit all the marks for a entry level FF. Still was hoping to see the Z6s and Z7s announced with it, but it looks like they'll be a longer wait before I can compare these to the R5 and R6.

In few months the price of Z5 will go down as usual with Nikon.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
It is currently more than I paid for for my new Z6 (£1,399.99). And if we compare the the Z5 is £1719 with the 24-50 and the RP is £1359 with the 24-105 IS 7.1 edition. So going into a camera shop to buy my first camera: Canon is cheeper, has a longer zoom, both have IS(I won't care what kind of IS), and both are SD(and I won't care that one has 2 slots).

From a pro point of view it could make a good second camera like the Z6 does, but the Z6 is still there.
Dont forget Canon 24-105mm IS STM has very good macro mode and better build quality than Nikon's 24-50mm.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Dont forget Canon 24-105mm IS STM has very good macro mode and better build quality than Nikon's 24-50mm.

Making it a even better buy with the RP. Other on the Nikon side the 24-50mm seems hated. But honestly, if someone buys this or a RP I am not going to loose sleep, just let them take nice photos.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020

I'd bet that there will be a rebate by end of year or sooner, it'll probably go down $200 to $300. Somewhere in the $1100 to $1200 price range seem about right

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I'd bet that there will be a rebate by end of year or sooner, it'll probably go down $200 to $300. Somewhere in the $1100 to $1200 price range seem about right

The RP is already down there, but I mean its not like this is even on a consideration list for most people that'll visit a photography forum. Still an odd ball position, it would have made more sense if it came with the Z6s and Z7s moving up market like the R5 and R6. As it stands the Z6 has the BSI sensor, better build, better storage, and it is cheeper. And compared to the RP, the RP is cheeper.

And as a cheeky aside. The more than fashionably late 70-200 S works with the extenders. But it looks way to big for the current Z bodies... The lens and body departments in Nikon and Canon seem to be really out of step with each other in some places. Like the range of 1.8 S lenses just feel perfect on the Z. The RF 70-200 is perfect on the R, but then the f/1.2 lenses are just massively unbalanced looking and dying for a bigger body behind them.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Does the 24-50mm range with the larger aperture seem pointless to anyone else? Sure it is a very compact lens but it doesn't seem that useful to me.

You have a wide and a 'portrait' end, very much like people are accustomed to on phones now. Taking it on holiday, you're unlikely to be disappointed in the results.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0