New adapters coming for the RF mount [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I previously mentioned that we’d be getting new adapters in 2020 for the RF mount, but I wasn’t sure which adapters were coming next.
I have been told the following adapters will be coming this year.

PL to RF with Cooke/i
EF-Cinema Lock to RF
Speedbooster (Perhaps for 4K recording on the EOS R)

There are usually announcements from Canon and others at the end of August or early September, so I suspect we’ll see these announced some time around then, along with new RF lenses.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Non-video guy here, but I have a question:

If this rumor is true, and that a cinema to RF adapter is being offered, does that mean:
a) A cine line of RF lenses is never happening?​
b) Canon will not make an RF cine body?​
c) Canon is just being wise and maximizing the RF platform's appeal to sell more R mount bodies?​
d) Canon just wants to sell more PL lenses and this is a way to do it?​
e) Canon would rather monetize mount conversion into a product (adaptor) rather than a service (an actual physical mount conversion)?​

I don't know if such adaptors were expected or a very big piece of news. Which is it, and why?

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

If this rumor is true, and that a cinema to RF adapter is being offered, does that mean:
c) Canon is just being wise and maximizing the RF platform's appeal to sell more R mount bodies?​
e) Canon would rather monetize mount conversion into a product (adaptor) rather than a service (an actual physical mount conversion)?​

I don't know if such adaptors were expected or a very big piece of news. Which is it, and why?

- A

I think you're overthinking it. An RF Cinema camera is coming. Cinema people will want to use both PL and EF mount lenses on it (hence those adapters). Canon will likely release cine RF lenses eventually, but those are quite some time away.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

- A
I think if Canon were to release an RF-mount cinema camera, they'd need a way to on-board EF/PL users and that means bringing your current lineup of lenses to keep you satisfied until they can round out an RF cine lens line. I'd see this as an indication that an RF cinema camera is coming, and they may be looking at moving cine lens development to RF as well.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
A speedbooster from FF to APS-C/Super35 would have at least the following uses:

• 4K with EOS R without crop
  • 4K in R5 crop mode to reduce heat output
  • Adapt EF to a hypothetical Super35 RF mount video-oriented body
  • Adapt EF to a hypothetical APS-C RF mount body
  • Shoot more manageable-sized stills with future high-res R body in crop mode

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Speedbooster! That is how they could get RF lenses to work with the M series. I hope! If not, I don't see a future for the M once the RF line is established. But with a speedbooster adapter the M series has a future. Just like it is now, your main line could be the RF, but you have a M camera and a couple lenses for travel, family, weekends, but with the speedbooster adapter, your M body could also be a backup/secondary body if needed. I have no desire to go full frame (big, heavy and expensive) and love my M5's (I have 3) and would welcome the rumors of a M upgrade equal to a 7D. I wouldn't buy into the RF line, but if the future includes a speedbooster adapter to adapt RF to EF-M, it guarantees a future for the M. If not, Fujifilm X series becomes the future for me.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Will speedbooster mean shallower DOF ? And will they may an 800mm F11 more of a F8?

Will AF still be possible with the canon speedbooster

An FF to APS-C speedbooster would make a 800mm/11 FF image circle lens a roughly 500mm/7 crop image circle lens for all intents and purposes. That is, you’d get the same exposure, noise, diffraction, FoV and DoF on crop as on unboosted FF. I doubt Canon would release a booster that’s not compatible with AF.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
Would the speedbooster convert RF lenses for EF-M bodies - reuse your RF lens collection on a smaller body?
No, you can only make one for SLR lenses where there is space for additional elements.

The RF lenses have a much newer, faster 12-pin communication system, e.g. they are not backwards compatible with anything, only RF-mount cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0