The Canon EOS R5 manual is available for download

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I read the through it and for still images this stood out to me (some compared to the R and 1Dx3):
-20 fps, no loss in RAW quality
-No slow down in Servo mode and Flash photography using continues shooting
-AF assist beam firing is back!!! Curious how snappy this is because it was utter shit (pretty much nonexistent) on the R especially at low light conditions.

This is really HUGE for me and makes it the perfect DSLR replacement!

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
I
I read the through it and for still images this stood out to me (some compared to the R and 1Dx3):
-AF assist beam firing is back!!! Curious how snappy this is because it was utter shit (pretty much nonexistent) on the R especially at low light conditions.

I'm curious what it says about video and temperatures/etc.

And obviously...I'm not a Canon-hater. Quite the opposite.

But I am curious about what Canon themselves say...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
My BH order says backordered, I ordered it one day after the release, hopefully ships Thursday but it's fine if I have to wait some more

I've never pre-ordered and usually buy refurbished. This time I pre-ordered less than 2 minutes after the pre-order was open. I will NOT patiently wait, it's cold in my house and I want my heater NOW. :p

Just kidding, I don't care about this overheating nonsense unless it is way worse than described by all the hype, mostly want the amazing stills!

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
...answered my own question.

Thanks to cr for the link.

From the manual (p 375):

The camera may become hot in movie recording while connected via Wi-Fi. Use a tripod or take other measures to avoid handheld recording.

Red [] internal temperature warning icon

If the camera’s internal temperature increases due to prolonged movie recording o runder a high ambient temperature, a red [] icon will appear.The red [] icon indicates that movie recording will soon be terminated automatically. If this happens, you will not be able to record again until the camera’s internal temperature decreases, so turn off the power and let the camera cool down a while. Note that the time until movie recording stops automatically when the red [] icon is displayed varies depending on shooting conditions. Recording a movie at a high temperature for a prolonged period will cause the red[] icon to appear earlier. When you are not recording, always turn off the camera.375

[] icon[] may be displayed if repeated movie recording or extended use of Live Viewdisplay increases the camera’s internal temperature. Turn off the camera or take other measures when [] is displayed, and wait until the camera cools down.The camera will turn off automatically if you continue recording while [] is displayed. The camera may also turn off automatically if you continue using LiveView display while [] is displayed

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Upvote 0
I've never pre-ordered and usually buy refurbished. This time I pre-ordered less than 2 minutes after the pre-order was open. I will NOT patiently wait, it's cold in my house and I want my heater NOW. :p

Just kidding, I don't care about this overheating nonsense unless it is way worse than described by all the hype, mostly want the amazing stills!

You may not care, but it's not nonsense

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014

Unfortunately 20 FPS is 12-bit raw, and 12 FPS is 13-bit raw. 14-bit is limited to 8 FPS.

This doesn't matter if you're shooting above 800 ISO since the dynamic range is already limited by that ISO, but at ISO 100 these raws will definitely have less dynamic range in the highlights. Anti-flicker shooting is also limited to 6.2 fps, which is a shame since the 1DX2/3 can do it at 10+ FPS. Definitely still have a place in my kit for my 1DX2 with these considerations, anti-flicker saves my life in a lot of sporting events, and I'll be interested to see how much the dynamic range takes a hit at 12 fps and 20 fps.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I just did a search and don't see customize layout for the Q screen (quick control).

On the 5D4 you can place controls wherever you want on the Q screen and hide ones you don't use. Anyone see this feature described? I will be frustrated if they removed this, it is one of my favorite features of the 5D4 and 6D2. Nothing beats configuring the touch locations and display to your liking. For example when I press Q on the 5D4, my custom screen shows only Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed on the top row and drive mode, focus mode, and WB on the bottom. I got rid of all the junk I don't need to see frequently and positioned those where I can touch them with thumbs easily.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I just did a search and don't see customize layout for the Q screen (quick control).

On the 5D4 you can place controls wherever you want on the Q screen and hide ones you don't use. Anyone see this feature described? I will be frustrated if they removed this, it is one of my favorite features of the 5D4 and 6D2. Nothing beats configuring the touch locations and display to your liking. For example when I press Q on the 5D4, my custom screen shows only Aperture, ISO, Shutter speed on the top row and drive mode, focus mode, and WB on the bottom. I got rid of all the junk I don't need to see frequently and positioned those where I can touch them with thumbs easily.
I’ve been wanting that for the R as well, but don’t think it’s available with the R either.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
I’ve been wanting that for the R as well, but don’t think it’s available with the R either.

:(

I just looked harder and it is not there in settings or custom tabs. SO frustrated to find this was dropped! The default Quick Menu layout is awful and will be a major irritation to me, I do not need all that clutter and the touch items are senselessly placed. Guess I will have to adapt to using rings and dials that will now be different on my cameras. This was much better on the 5D4 especially when operating in live view or not wanting to disturb the camera but change a setting. Why would they not keep that feature when they already wrote this menu system?! Have to shake my head. Canon have good menus- except the terrible quick controls default which looks like it was barfed out in random order.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0