Gerald Undone completes exhaustive record time testing on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Gerald Undone, one of the premier camera tech YouTubers has completed an exhaustive record time test on the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6.
He hopes to have the full video up on Monday or Tuesday for your viewing pleasure, but for now, he has provided us with a handy chart detailing his methodology, record times in all modes both internally and externally.
All of these tests were done indoors in a climate-controlled environment.
As for recovery time, Gerald has this to say:
It should also be noted that these times are from a 2 hour cooldown period. You will only get these durations once, then they’re significantly cut down. Takes about 1 hour for 60% recovery and 2 hours for full recovery.

It...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I'm getting a bit of information overload at the moment with all the vlogs, comments and reviews going on for the R5 & R6.

It's great that people like Gerald Undone do things like this and I'm sure people looking to decide to buy may find it useful. However, in the real world where most people don't use these camera's in temperature controlled environments, only your own experience matters.

I suppose the headline stats along with those provided by Canon give you an initial idea to base a decision on but when all said and done, only you and you alone know what kind of shooting you do, stills, video, stills and video, video at normal or 8k etc etc. so maybe it's time we stop hanging on everyone's review and make our own minds up??

That's certainly what I did and now I have the R5, I'll decide on my own experience. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
These figures all seem fine to me (4K normal quality is probably good enough for many already), especially with the external recorder.
It is the cooldown period, which is the real problem, maybe they can make tweak that a little bit with software.

If that Tilta cooling kit or something like that actually works in practise (even though it looks quite ridiculous and probably quite loud when it works) they might sell quite a few of those.

We might not see another 8K camera with a great IBIS, etc. like this any time soon, it is a unique product, no matter how flawed it is being presumed, people expected it to cost a lot more initially (and I expected the rolling shutter to be much worse than it is, although curious to see the measurements).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
R5: no overheating in 4K@60p (external recording) looks pretty damn good to me. 19 mins 8K in one take also seems not tooo bad to me.

I wonder if the camera lay flat on a table with no convection from underneath or if it was mounted "free" on a tripod. Also, Canon recommends an external fan during recording, that might also greatly improve cooling.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I own a FullHD tv from 2012, it was a $2500 top of the line 55” from Samsung.
I last night finished my binge watching the Netflix series “DARK”, which is amazing btw, and I sat there through 3 seasons completely amazed by how ridiculously sharp and detailed the video quality is. It’s not “pretty decent for an old tv” or “fine for 1080”, it’s amazingly detailed and sharp.

I always drop by the stores to see what’s new in 4K and 8K and the only amazing new thing is how detailed the 8K is at a viewing distance of 10 cm. I can’t see the need for 4K and 8K. Yes cropping bla bla, but output? I rather have superb 1080 than iPhone 4K.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Is it the sensor that heats up, or a processor that is doing it? The sensor, since it has movement to deal with IBIS, would be difficult to cool other than by the air around it. Mounting it solidly to the magnesium frame would cool it, but it would then be unable to move for stabilization.

The processor, on the other hand, could use part of the magnesium housing as a heat sink if designed as such, even if the heat transfer is through a conductive heat sink type of thing. If the heat is adequately transferred to the back or bottom of the camera body, then some type of external cooling would be effective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Damn, I was ready to get R6 but I canceled my preorder. If it builds up heat even during stills shooting and recovery times are so high then sorry but I don't see it to work in hybrid shooting stills / video (50%/50%) in temperature of about 30 Celsius degrees. I am talking about amateur use, short periods of hybrid usage for 2-3 hour walks. It's a real pity as everything else in R6 is almost perfect.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm getting a bit of information overload at the moment with all the vlogs, comments and reviews going on for the R5 & R6.

It's great that people like Gerald Undone do things like this and I'm sure people looking to decide to buy may find it useful. However, in the real world where most people don't use these camera's in temperature controlled environments, only your own experience matters.

I suppose the headline stats along with those provided by Canon give you an initial idea to base a decision on but when all said and done, only you and you alone know what kind of shooting you do, stills, video, stills and video, video at normal or 8k etc etc. so maybe it's time we stop hanging on everyone's review and make out own minds up??

That's certainly what I did and now I have the R5, I'll decide on my own experience. :)

There's a difference between data and information. Gerald, etc., have a habit of tweeting realtime observations, thereby stimulating all sorts of speculation about what it may or may not mean. I guess that's how he makes money (?), but all this unprocessed data simply serves as noise around these releases.

Doesn't anyone wait until all the information is in, and THEN publish a comprehensive review?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I own a FullHD tv from 2012, it was a $2500 top of the line 55” from Samsung.
I last night finished my binge watching the Netflix series “DARK”, which is amazing btw, and I sat there through 3 seasons completely amazed by how ridiculously sharp and detailed the video quality is. It’s not “pretty decent for an old tv” or “fine for 1080”, it’s amazingly detailed and sharp.

I always drop by the stores to see what’s new in 4K and 8K and the only amazing new thing is how detailed the 8K is at a viewing distance of 10 cm. I can’t see the need for 4K and 8K. Yes cropping bla bla, but output? I rather have superb 1080 than iPhone 4K.
Dark:
I don't wanna see Adam's skin in 8k.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
The R6 will not work for me as a hybrid, as it seems to be to unreliable with how much I can record after shooting stills or video for 15mins, stills, video, then suddenly as a b cam for interviews (so 30mins for example). My non weatherproof camera has not failed yet even though it has rained on it several times, so weaker weather sealing is fine as heat problem gets fixed for me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
One thing of context that I have only seen written once. Even when the camera stops recording in the limited modes, 8k, 4k120 etc, it will still work as a stills and video camera for any other mode, instantly. This is not the behavior all other hybrids exhibit, once they ‘overheat’ they are bricks. The Canon NEVER bricks even when it won’t record in the limited modes anymore.

• Wow
Reactions: 18 users
Upvote 0