Multiple cameras coming to the new Cinema EOS R lineup. Along with a new XC series camera. [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told that the new RF mount Cinema EOS cameras will be part of a new lined called Cinema EOS R.
It looks like the rumor from a few days ago are specifications from various cameras if the specifications below are true.
Please keep in mind these are base specifications and don’t paint the whole picture of each camera.
Canon Cinema EOS C50 (Name not confirmed)

Super 35mm 4K sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C200)
No IBIS
RF Mount
Internal ND (10 Stops)
CLog 2 & CLog 3
4:2:0 8bit internally onto SD cards up to 4K60 & 1080/120
No RAW
Dual LP-E6NH battery slot
Price: $3499 USD

Canon Cinema EOS C70 (Name not confirmed)

Super 35mm 4K DGO sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III)
No IBIS
RF Mount
Internal ND (10 Stops)
CLog 2 & CLog 3
4:2:2 10bit onto SD cards up to 4K120 and 2K180...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Hmm R200 seems somewhat uninspired...no IBIS? Only 4:2:0 8 bit? A year and a half ago this would've been amazing, but we can get a used C200 (with raw) or an R5 (w/ internal 10 bit) for close to the same price... The dual LP-E6 is interesting, hopefully that’ll make them hot swapable at least. Hoping a C100 style articulating screen and removal grip are still incorporated.

I’d like a C/R100 with Ibis and 10 bit for $4500

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2014
Hmm R200 seems somewhat uninspired...no IBIS? Only 4:2:0 8 bit? A year and a half ago this would've been amazing, but we can get a used C200 (with raw) or an R5 (w/ internal 10 bit) for close to the same price... The dual LP-E6 is interesting, hopefully that’ll make them hot swapable at least. Hoping a C100 style articulating screen and removal grip are still incorporated.

I think this camera is the C100 replacement. It doesn't have much in common with the C200 based on specs. You're right that the C100 replacement should have a IBIS, though.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Not a video guy, but seen a lot of videos on the R5 lately.....is the lack of IBIS in these cameras a result of the weird artifacts it creates when panning in video? From what the reviewers were showing it can change the framing ever so slightly as it bumps the sensor around, and can be noticeable in some types of shots.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I hope Canon never puts Ibis in a cinema camera. It is just not professional looking with all wobbles that’s what gimbals are for. The codecs will probably be H.265 so most of the footage will be terrible to edit. The specs for all these cameras are great but again using RF glass for cinema is not a wise thing to do. But the RF to EF with the variable ND that is a wonderful set up on a small little body like this. The RF mount I believe will make EF glass even more valuable because of the adaptability.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SpaceGhost

Canon 1DX
Jul 19, 2012
Texas
I just want the R5 with a bigger heat sink, proper dual card support, and xlr support. I'm open to form factors. I don't see why this would practically double the price but I'd accept that (especially if the 1DX line offers that).

However, based on this rumor... why would they then offer only S35 for double the R5 price (with no IBIS too)? I'm still hoping the RF mount on the cinema cameras would be better at these prices.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sounds like Canon ditched CF Express cards Out of Cinema EOS R. I wonder why :)
This will have something to do with the cripple hammer effect. Them doing SD cards with H.265 files at IPB compression (most likely) is a way of protecting their ef cinema line

• Haha
Upvote 0
Not a video guy, but seen a lot of videos on the R5 lately.....is the lack of IBIS in these cameras a result of the weird artifacts it creates when panning in video? From what the reviewers were showing it can change the framing ever so slightly as it bumps the sensor around, and can be noticeable in some types of shots.
Exactly and thats why we will most likely never see IBIS in a Cinema Camera tho I see it coming to the XC Line due to its fixed lens and smaller sensor they will be able to optimise the IBIS to function properly with an IS in the pense. I’m hoping for the perfect grab and go B-C Cam.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
This will have something to do with the cripple hammer effect. Them doing SD cards with H.265 files at IPB compression (most likely) is a way of protecting their ef cinema line
in my opinion, CFE cards runs way too hot as we found out recently and throttle themselves down when reached a certain temperature. so SD card is naturaly a cooler option :). they may consider using a lower bandwidth codec to fit in...

Upvote 0