Canon EOS R5 firmware update coming soon, RAW light to be added? [CR2]

Sep 17, 2014
First it was, “Who needs 8k? “

Now, apparently, everyone needs it... and with unlimited recording times.

I don't think people have issue with the limited 8K or 4K120. The problem is recovery time. So you shoot 10 minutes of 4K120P and then next time you want to use it you only have 5 minutes for example. Or maybe just 3 if you use the camera in the meantime. Same situation with 4K60 or 4K HQ.
So you cannot depend on it because you don't know how long the camera will let you shoot when you need it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
And how many damn fools have tried to claim precisely that they are marketing ploys, just on this thread? Some people are so full of it.
Obviously Canon is intentionally heating up their camera to sell cinema cameras like the new one that will only cost 500 more than R5. IMAGINE the incredible profits!!!!Canon must be making AT LEAST a few thousand extra in exchange for pissing off their stills market. :ROFLMAO: (Obvious sarcasm is obvious)

These people are certainly entertaining at least. Most destructive bunch of "victims" who are outraged at a product they don't own that I have ever seen. I wonder what camera they use today and how they are not outraged at it, and are getting by without 4K60 and up?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
I don't think people have issue with the limited 8K or 4K120. The problem is recovery time. So you shoot 10 minutes of 4K120P and then next time you want to use it you only have 5 minutes for example. Or maybe just 3 if you use the camera in the meantime. Same situation with 4K60 or 4K HQ.
So you cannot depend on it because you don't know how long the camera will let you shoot when you need it.
To me, it is people complaining they can't use a feature as much as they say they'd like to without doing something to make it more appropriate. Some of them don't have the camera, never had the camera, never intended to buy the camera. Honestly, an external recorder seems to be the biggest and best work around, except for 8k. I know, people don't want to use external recorders, I guess, but all the complaining seems to be dumpster fires of the Id.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
But you do know how long you can shoot when you switch to a thermally limited mode. It shows you right on the screen, just like I have battery display or a shot counter.

If you need 10mis of 8K and the Camera shows you have 5 mins well you need to either let the Camera cool off or switch to a mode that is not limited.

It has been well establish that if you shoot x amount of 4K 60 and y 8K 30 etc... and move thru the menus the total time will be impacted. How much the mode is impacted relies a lot on a variety of factors that luckily we do need to worry about because AGAIN the conservative time remaining is on screen. We are a highly intelligent species (debatable) that should be able to learn there are limitations and how to work with those limitations.

How the limitation are imposed is COMPLETELY irrelevant because they exist. The cool thing is a lot of us have not had to adapt or evolve our shooting style cause the R5 just works for us.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
But, whether using a ff lens or not... there’s still a crop. My understanding is that an EFs lens with 50mm printed on it is 50mm IF that lens is not cropped by the sensor. The FOV is actually 50mm x 1.6 = 80mm on a crop sensor. So, in my opinion, the FF lens vs crop is moot for getting the wide shot. The sensor will crop the FF image circle, so one is cropped either way. I guess what I am not seeing is how in the world choosing an efs lens helps in any possible way. I don’t believe it will make the shot wider.

So, usually you cant put an apsc lens on a ff camera because the image circle isnt big enough.

But if the sensor is cropped to use the same size as an apsc sensor then it will work.

A 50mm FF lens on an apsc sensor would be cropped by 1.6, so you end up with a 85ish mm equivalent.

A 50mm efs lens on an apsc sensor should have the same focal length has a 50mm lens on a FF sensor.

Where you'll find the difference is in the way the aperture works. Afaik, f2.8 on FF isnt equivalent to f2.8 on apsc, it still applies a crop to that. So to get the f2.8 FF equivalent on the apsc sensor, youd need a lense 1.6 times faster.

So that same EF 50mm f2.8 would be both longer and slower on an apsc sensor (roughly 85mm f3.something). This wouldnt apply to efs lenses on the apsc sensor because you're not losing any of their image circle.

Long story short, I think having the option would be good

Upvote 0
I hope they add some kind of Raw option for 4k or 1080p

I mean, if you had 1080p available to record in RAW (24, 50 & 120fps) along with the lite raw code, I think that could cover 90% of what mostly anyone would want to do with the camera

Clog3 to bring the available dynamic range up to snuff (I think I read its stuck around 11 with clog and clog 3 should bring that up by at least 1 stop?)

throw in maybe 4k RAW as an option,

Do something about recovery times on the camera

a7siii killer right there
Raw lite at 4k120 would be fantastic. H265 is not a good codec to use. I’d rather pay more for storage than deal with that codec

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
It's stupid. like who would even sit there with a stop watch to find out how long its been. at least have a timer on the camera.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
It does (HDMI) but it's not supported by any of the current external recorders.

Yep I said this a while back, yet no one supports it. Why? Cause probably the overhead of processing 8K is a design challenge even on an external recorder....
I wonder if there is a chance that Canon comes out with its own external recorder to solve some of these issues rather than waiting for a 3rd party solution?

Upvote 0
What people seem to either don't know or don't admit is that when you hit that 8K limit you can just switch to more standard 4K mode.

Here's one guy that used 8K for a wedding:

He wrote:
"This weekend I had the chance to film some wedding footage in 8K on the Canon EOS R5. The footage that this camera produces is absolutely mind blowing. The skin tones are accurate and flattering, and the autofocus is spot on. The camera is a pure dream to use. Will it overheat when you're shooting in 8K. Well yes, kind of. The camera itself doesn't really get hot. It seems like it's a gimp-hammer addition. Hopefully it can be remedied in a firmware update. Not to worry, anytime it "overheated", just turn it to 4K mode and continue as usual."

So yes it has gone from "who needs 8K" to "we all need 8K for every second of footage"...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You can download firmware version 1.70 for the EOS R and all of the lens firmware updates from Canon Canada’s website, as the Canon USA website is still down due to a recent hack.

R Link
Lenses Firmware Link

Canon has released new firmware updates for its EOS R camera and a handful of its RF-mount lenses. The updates bring support for Canon’s latest lenses to the EOS R and improve compatibility between the in-lens stabilization and in-body stabilization of the EOS R5 and R6 with RF-mount lenses.

Firmware version 1.7.0 for the Canon EOS R adds support for Canon’s RF 600mm F11 STM, 800mm F11 STM, RF 1.4x teleconverter, RF 2x teleconverter and the new LP-E6NH Battery Pack. No further bug fixes were addressed in this firmware update, but Canon does say the using the EOS R’s multifunction bar in playback mode has been improved.

------

Canon has also released updated firmware for seven of its IS-capable RF-mount lenses so they will better work alongside the sensor-shift image stabilization inside Canon’s new R5 and R6 mirrorless cameras. Below are the lenses getting the new update:

• RF 15–35mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • RF 24–70mm f/2.8L IS USM
  • RF 24–105mm f/4–7.1 IS STM
  • RF 24–105mm f/4L IS USM
  • RF 24–240mm f/4–6.3 IS USM
  • RF 35mm f/1.8 IS Macro STM
  • RF 70–200mm f/2.8L IS USM

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
What I cannot understand is why they have rated R5 with 8k raw at 12 stops of DR. Probably cause of C-Log which provides 12 stops only. BUT Raw is a container and when you import it on Davinci Resolve then you can apply on it a clog2 curve. Isn’t that 15 stops of DR? or am I missing something here?
its raw so the DR is greater.
Yeah if Canon could add something like this
View attachment 192096
that would be awesome
oh that what that is. i see why the manual is 500 pages. is that timer consistent and realtime or do the numbers go up and down.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
So, usually you cant put an apsc lens on a ff camera because the image circle isnt big enough.

But if the sensor is cropped to use the same size as an apsc sensor then it will work.

A 50mm FF lens on an apsc sensor would be cropped by 1.6, so you end up with a 85ish mm equivalent.

A 50mm efs lens on an apsc sensor should have the same focal length has a 50mm lens on a FF sensor.

Where you'll find the difference is in the way the aperture works. Afaik, f2.8 on FF isnt equivalent to f2.8 on apsc, it still applies a crop to that. So to get the f2.8 FF equivalent on the apsc sensor, youd need a lense 1.6 times faster.

So that same EF 50mm f2.8 would be both longer and slower on an apsc sensor (roughly 85mm f3.something)
. This wouldnt apply to efs lenses on the apsc sensor because you're not losing any of their image circle.

Long story short, I think having the option would be good
Nope. F2.8 is F2.8 regardless FF or aps-c. Your exposure does not change if you cropped the frame..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0