Industry News: Panasonic S5 specifications leak ahead of an official announcement

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The full specifications for the upcoming Panasonic S5 have leaked out ahead of the official announcement. The S5 will be Panasonic’s entry-level L mount full-frame camera body.
There are currently three L mount Panasonic Lumix bodies, the S1, the video focused S1H, and the high-resolution S1R.

Pansonic S5 Specifications:
Type
Digital Single Lens Mirrorless camera
Lens mount
L-Mount Image Sensor Type
35mm full-frame (35.6mm x 23.8mm) CMOS sensor Camera effective pixels / Total pixels
24.20 megapixels / 25.28 megapixels Aspect ratio / Color filter
3:2 / Primary color filter Dust reduction system
Image sensor shift type Latitude
14+ stops (V-Log)
Still Image Recording file format
Still image: JPEG (DCF, Exif 2.31), RAW, HLG Photo (CTA-2072)
6K PHOTO / 4K PHOTO: 6K PHOTO: MP4 (H.265/HEVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))
4K PHOTO: MP4 (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, Audio format: AAC (2ch))
Extracted still images: JPEG (DCF, Exif 2.31) Aspect ratio
4:3 / 3:2 / 16:9 / 1:1 / 65:24 / 2:1
File size...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Nice, but will it have good video AF?

I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but would be pleasantly surprised if that changed. The Panasonic contrast AF I'm used to works well for setting up your shot, but not for tracking. It surprises me that they can't get an amazing auto focus system considering they've been able to produce reliable oversampled 4K since 2014.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
I wouldn't hold my breath for it, but would be pleasantly surprised if that changed. The Panasonic contrast AF I'm used to works well for setting up your shot, but not for tracking. It surprises me that they can't get an amazing auto focus system considering they've been able to produce reliable oversampled 4K since 2014.

As I answered myself it won’t, and I know what it works for, and it’s about damn time it gets good AF, or at least their attempting at it..
Canon has had good video AF for a looong time, Nikon has had since Z6, Sony for longer.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
How well is the “L” mount doing? I read that they’re selling in “minuscule numbers”. Perhaps this isn’t the time in photographic history for a mount like this? I know it’s basically been around for a while with Leica, but that means it’s not really been around at all, considering the tiny number of cameras and lenses Leica manages to sell.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
How well is the “L” mount doing? I read that they’re selling in “minuscule numbers”. Perhaps this isn’t the time in photographic history for a mount like this? I know it’s basically been around for a while with Leica, but that means it’s not really been around at all, considering the tiny number of cameras and lenses Leica manages to sell.
Gotta imagine pretty terribly...they made bodies that were too large, lenses that were too expensive, and even to this day basically dont have any lens options for <$800.

I imagine a decent chunk of video people went with them who dont care as much about video AF and want max video quality, but thats not a big niche long-term.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
The idea of introducing a higher end mirrorless into a declining market is a questionable strategy. I feel Panasonic was reacting to the endless cries for FF and the realization that the Sony A7SIII was coming out. Of course the S1H (the A7SIII competitor) competes in a tiny segment to start with.
The S1R and S1 are good cameras but the market is demanding faster AF even if the bulk of shooters don't need much in terms of performance. The IQ is unassailable and the lenses are excellent but history will lament the loss of the line due to the poor sales.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
The idea of introducing a higher end mirrorless into a declining market is a questionable strategy. I feel Panasonic was reacting to the endless cries for FF and the realization that the Sony A7SIII was coming out. Of course the S1H (the A7SIII competitor) competes in a tiny segment to start with.
The S1R and S1 are good cameras but the market is demanding faster AF even if the bulk of shooters don't need much in terms of performance. The IQ is unassailable and the lenses are excellent but history will lament the loss of the line due to the poor sales.
It seems to me that people might question the long term commitment there. We now have four mounts. With continuing declining sales in ILC, introducing this just dilutes the market.

I also wonder if Sony is now concerned that making that off the cuff decision to use an APS-C mount for their FF mirrorless products was such a good idea after all. If so, can they really have another mount, and another line of lenses? They’ve just thrown mounts around like they can be made on lathes, or something.

Upvote 0
Panasonic' Contrast AF system DFD technology is not going to cut it. They have great cameras, great features, great ergonomics. I wish they get on boarded to PDAF and give some real competition. Other issue is lens line up but I have hopes Sigma will fill that with great lenses.
They are going to pair this initially with their 20-60mm F3.5-5.6, which should be interesting especially if they can keep the body price close to the Nikon Z5. The soon to be announced Sony A5 (or whatever) won't even be interesting, because the least expensive good zoom you can on put on it is the FE24-105 which costs $1100 or more

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
They are going to pair this initially with their 20-60mm F3.5-5.6, which should be interesting especially if they can keep the body price close to the Nikon Z5. The soon to be announced Sony A5 (or whatever) won't even be interesting, because the least expensive good zoom you can on put on it is the FE24-105 which costs $1100 or more
Tamron 28-200 is $729 and probably has equal IQ to that 20-60 while actually being a useable focal range.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
It seems to me that people might question the long term commitment there. We now have four mounts. With continuing declining sales in ILC, introducing this just dilutes the market.

I also wonder if Sony is now concerned that making that off the cuff decision to use an APS-C mount for their FF mirrorless products was such a good idea after all. If so, can they really have another mount, and another line of lenses? They’ve just thrown mounts around like they can be made on lathes, or something.

I think the cost of developing a FF line with lenses implies an optimistic commitment to a long range strategy. The market may have other ideas though.

Sony may be regretting their choice of mount size but it doesn't seem to have stopped people from buying the cameras or from Sony and others delivering a range of interesting lenses. The difference between them and their full frame competitors is not all that different in the actual optical performance. In fact the ratio of diameter to flange distance for Sony is actually comparable to the Canon RF while the Z mount is a lot greater.

Upvote 0

They should have made the move before Canon and Nikon entered the mirrorless FF market IMO. I’m sure it took years to set up the alliance and design the cameras, but I can’t see how they’ll make an impact.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
In fact the ratio of diameter to flange distance for Sony is actually comparable to the Canon RF while the Z mount is a lot greater.
I don't think that ratio means much, does it?The flange distance in general doesn't play all that much of a role as designing a lens that sticks into the body is a possibility. If using an APS-C style mount like Sony E didn't come with significant drawbacks for lens design in the long term, Canon would have just expanded their already established EF-M mount (which has a larger diameter than E mount) rather than come up with RF.

Nikon seemingly got so frustrated with F mount that they felt it was necessary to even go 1 mm wider than Canon EF / RF, just to make sure they'd never have to face those design constraints again.

Sony may not regret their mount choice, as it at least allowed them to establish the FF mirrorless market quickly before any competition arrived. But it will impact them in the long term. What is more frustrating to me is that it will also impact the third party manufacturers if they want to serve all major mounts.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
They should have made the move before Canon and Nikon entered the mirrorless FF market IMO. I’m sure it took years to set up the alliance and design the cameras, but I can’t see how they’ll make an impact.
I think there’s some desperation in the move. Leica is increasingly irrelevant. We read of decreasing sales. Since they’re on their own, with Leitz being another company, they’re significantly affected by the decline in the industry, being a pure photo play. They’ve always been willing to work with other camera companies to the point of having some of their cameras and lenses made by others.

sigma can’t really lose with this, even if it doesn’t really work out, and Panasonic can afford to play around for some time.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
One more thing not directly related to this al9ne. Why is it that after Apple introduced the wider gamut DCI-P3, only the cameras on iPhones and iPads are capable of shooting still and video in that gamut? Unless some other smartphone also does it that I’m not familiar with.

its not as though there aren’t monitors that can show it. That was true, other than for Apple’s equipment, years ago. I can see an improvement when shooting with my iPhone, as opposed to my 5D mk IV.

what’s the holdup?, this is cinema standard, and 4K Tv standard, so it’s not as though it’s an oddball gamut that no one other than Apple uses.

Upvote 0