Venus Optics announces the Laowa 14mm f/4 FF RL Zero-D lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Venus Optics announces the new Laowa 14mm f/4 FF RL ZERO-D lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras – a super-compact ultra-wide-angle lens with ZERO-D and 52mm filter thread
Anhui China, Sept 18, 2020 – Venus Optics, the manufacturer specialized in making unique camera lenses, introduced the Laowa 14mm f/4 FF RL Zero-D lens for full-frame mirrorless cameras. As one of the smallest and lightest 14mm Zero Distortion ultra-wide-angle lens, the lens does not compromise on its performance. It is equipped with a 52mm filter thread so that urban explorers can simply put on the screw-in filter and create incredible images with ease.

Ultra-wide 114° Angle of View
The 14mm f/4 FF RL Zero-D delivers an extraordinary image sharpness with 114°angle of view. The ultra-wide-angle lens allows photographers to have one-of-a-kind and inspiring pictures in an ultra-wide perspective. Landscape photographers can capture rich scenery with a single shot...

Continue reading...

BeenThere

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2012
Eastern Shore
at 14mm one should be able to get a good 30s exposure with relatively sharp stars. I've pushed a 28mm to 30s with reasonable results, though the stars are ovals at that time.
The stars in the central part of the example image don’t look smeared at all from time exposure. The ”500” rule would say use a 16 second exposure. From my experience, I would guess this is more like a 10 sec exposure. Maybe the new low light Sony could capture this image at 10 sec And f~4?
edit: the star reflections are time smeared, so it may be a composite shot with the foreground at a longer exposure?

Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
This says it’s available in Canon RF but the drop down on their site does not include Canon and does not say when a Canon version will be available.

From the Post:

Multiple Mount options

Laowa 14mm f/4 FF RL Zero-D is available in Leica M, Leica L, Canon RF, Sony FE and Nikon Z mounts . 2 different colours (black and silver) are offered for Leica M mount.

(The RF mount and the silver version of M mount will be available in Late-Oct)

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
The stars in the central part of the example image don’t look smeared at all from time exposure. The ”500” rule would say use a 16 second exposure. From my experience, I would guess this is more like a 10 sec exposure. Maybe the new low light Sony could capture this image at 10 sec And f~4?
edit: the star reflections are time smeared, so it may be a composite shot with the foreground at a longer exposure?
The 500 rule is decent, but I think you can push it the wider the FOV. When the objective of the image is to show the expanse, the eye tends not to focus on the exact shape of the stars. There are also some plugins that can round out oval stars to help you push it a little farther. Viewing distance of the image also impacts this. A huge print up close will require a shorter exposure and possibly a stacked image.

-Brian

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've not had a lot of time to play with it, but a few months ago, I bought their EF mount 15mm Wide Angle Macro lens :

It seems really solid and well made and my early thoughts are very positive with it.....really a unique view on the world with this one, so, I"d guess this new 14mm would be worth giving a shot.

cayenne

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
With high density sensors such as 45 MP or 51 MP or 20 to 32.5 in APS, the 500 rule is outdated. Badly. To avoid streaking stars your rule needs to be more like 125 to 150.
But who cares about pixel peeping on a night sky shot? Unless you zoom in to the pixel level, resolution doesn't matter for choosing the amount of star streaking that's acceptable to you. That's depending on how far you want to magnify the image.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0