Canon officially announces the Canon EOS M50 Mark II

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., October 14, 2020 –– Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the EOS M50 Mark II Interchangeable Lens Camera, the successor to the #1 selling mirrorless camera in the U.S. market – the EOS M50*. An all-in-one product for content creators with improved video features and autofocus capabilities, the EOS M50 Mark II is the latest, high-quality digital imaging camera in the notable EOS lineup.
“Our customer base includes future content creators and imaging storytellers; it’s in our best interest to continuously provide high-quality products that are easy to use in the creative world of photography and video content creation, as well as streaming,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, executive vice president and general manager of the Canon U.S.A., Inc. Imaging Technologies & Communications Group. “The EOS M50 Mark II continues to pave the way for photography and video enthusiasts to experience a lightweight interchangeable lens camera with...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
Well it isn’t what we hoped, but let’s face it, the M50 II is what it is.

With tough times ahead Canon must feel they have done enough with this minor revamp, the most frustrating thing on my M5 when I first got it was the AF and Canon is fast catching up with mirrorless AF now.

The new AF on the M50 II looks good so, along with the other tweaks, that might be enough for Canons target audience, but not enough to warrant upgrading from the original M50 I doubt.

At $599 body only or and extra 100 for a kit lens I don’t think Canon have been greedy.

I wonder what the M5 II will bring to the table, a lot more, I hope!

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Pretty basic version upgrade to a very useful and popular camera. I don't see the need to upgrade mine because I don't do video content and most of the improvements were aimed at that, which makes sense since this is a SUPER popular vlogger camera. I still wonder if the 4k is full width or cropped? I imagine its cropped since most content created with this camera is not 4k. It will probably continue to sell very well at its price point.

That last spec list for this was too good to be true at this price point. Maybe that is the new M7 or whatever they will call it.

-Brian

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I'm really confused but are all the updates in software only? If that is so, will Canon update the M50 firmware as well? (I get they want a new version for marketing.)
That's just something people are saying to complain about not getting a bigger upgrade. The sensor appears to be the same, and the autofocus is improved, which they say is only software. The EVF and I think screen are also different, and there are probably logic chips and other internal components that are different to allow the AF performance improvement.

Everyone was thrown for a loop here, as the previous rumored specs looked like a huge upgrade. In retrospect, a camera that was better in some ways than the M6 at this price point was too good to be true. But it left people wanting more...

-Brian

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I'm really confused but are all the updates in software only? If that is so, will Canon update the M50 firmware as well? (I get they want a new version for marketing.)
I definitely don't think it is just a software update. I can see at least one difference in the images from the previous M50 :sneaky:Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 9.15.59 AM.png

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0