Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM specifications

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Here are the full specifications for the Canon RF 50mm f/1.8, I expect this lens to be announced later tonight.
Canon RF 50mm f/1.8 STM:

6 elements in 5 groups
Minimum focusing distance: 0.3m /  11.8″
Maximum magnification: 0.25x
7 aperture blades
43mm filter thread
Size: 69.2mm / 2.72″ x 40.5mm / 1.59″
Weight: 160g / 0.35lbs
Price: $199 USD

ElekeGPVMAAuUye-168x168.jpg

rf50lensdiagram-168x168.jpg

Continue reading...

Interesting stuff. Let me complain, but still be happy (i.e. price): filter thread is odd size, # of apeture blades is lacking but 7 is better than 5 (...), and cool they have moved away from double gauss lens design (right, or is it just -- different..?). It will likely be my first RF lens for my EOS R (still anxious about selling my EF lenses..!).

Upvote 0
1:4 max. reproduction ratio converts to 95 x 144 mm image field which is a post card sized object: Fine!
I expect a quality similar to the EF 2.8 40mm (both have one aspherical element which helps a lot wide open and in the 50mm range) and great flare resistance/contrast in contralight due to the low lens element/group count: Fine!

I will use the RF 35 due to its better 1:2 macro and the built in IS but if I wouldn't own it I would buy it without hesitation!
EDIT: And if I find out that this lens is better suited to film lessons from a tripod than 35mm I will buy this one which will well perform AF with DPAF and STM.

Upvote 0
Interesting stuff. Let me complain, but still be happy (i.e. price): filter thread is odd size, [...]

Same filter thread size like EF-M 32 and EF-M 22 - is there any chance for a convergence between RF and M camera line (with a dual flange distance mount however this will be realized)?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Interesting stuff. Let me complain, but still be happy (i.e. price): filter thread is odd size, # of apeture blades is lacking but 7 is better than 5 (...), and cool they have moved away from double gauss lens design (right, or is it just -- different..?). It will likely be my first RF lens for my EOS R (still anxious about selling my EF lenses..!).

No it's a pure simple double-gauss design. So it's pretty much identical in capabilities to the EF 50mm STM. Slightly better macro (0.3m MFD vs 0.35m = 0.25x instead of 0.21), same number of diaphragm blades, and same weight.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
Sorry for being late in the thread but does this come with a hood? Even an additional cost might interest me. I own the pancake and it is a pain to use it outdoor or near a window light. Third party hoods don't always deliver. The price is really fantastic for the time I need a 50mm, and if a native hood is available, I am all for it.

Upvote 0

Dmcavoy

EOS R
Nov 20, 2019
Sorry for being late in the thread but does this come with a hood? Even an additional cost might interest me. I own the pancake and it is a pain to use it outdoor or near a window light. Third party hoods don't always deliver. The price is really fantastic for the time I need a 50mm, and if a native hood is available, I am all for it.
Only L series lenses come with hoods.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Wow - only $199 - that'll sell a lot of lenses, and help some people wanting to jump into the R mount system.

It's not a lens for me, as I'd prefer a 50mm f1.4L which would have great IQ & build at a more moderate size & weight than the f1.2L. But anything that helps Canon with its market share and balance sheet is good news for everyone in the R mount system.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
No it is a double gauss formula and appears to be very similar to that used in the 1964 Canonet rangefinder camera where a similar optical formula appeared as a 45mm f/1.7 lens. The fifth element is aspherical in the new version. (As opposed to the other Fifth Element which was a rather lovely Milla Jovovich.
Screenshot 2020-11-01 at 12.17.17.jpg
I don't know what reputation this camera had as far as IQ goes, but I do remember that the simple double gauss 5 element 5 groups 40mm f/1.9 in the 1981 Canon Sure Shot AF35ML was very sharp indeed. In fact annoyingly so; it was better than my Nikkor lenses at the time.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0