Canon officially announces the RF 50mm f/1.8 STM and the RF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., November 3, 2020 – Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, is excited to introduce the compact and lightweight RF70-200mm F4 L IS USM and the RF50mm F1.8 STM, two completely re-designed RF mount lenses with bloodlines to immensely popular EF models that feature new lens formulas and enhanced elements. Canon is also introducing the PIXMA PRO-200 printer, which is ideal for photography students and graphic designers.
“As Canon began to further build out the company’s RF lens portfolio, the goal in mind was to create advanced lenses, for a variety of experience levels, that also featured a sense of familiarity for longtime Canon users,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, executive vice president and general manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies & Communications Group. “Canon prides itself on being able to uniquely offer both input and output solutions to our customers. We are equally excited to see the images captured with the new lenses, and...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Quite expensive cuties outside the USA:
Calumet Germany charges respectively Euro 225 (that's OK) and Euro 1755 !!!!:eek:
I'll keep my excellent EF 70-200 IS II... and, in case I need compactness, I'm gonna buy a used EF 200 f2,8 II.
Or... wait for the price to decrease.

Canon.nl wants €1830 for the RF70-200 f/4L, so that €1755 is a steal!

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have the older EF 4.0 70-200 IS mark i which will have - my expectation - less breathing (co-used for video) due to better ratio of minimum focus distance compared to max. reprod. ratio (EF: 1.2 metres @ 0.21 / RF: 0.6 metres @ 0.28). So I will keep it.
RF 2.8 70-200 has more appeal to me (except price wise).
EDIT: O.k., 12 cm length ("collapsed") is a strong argument if size matters, just read that in the specs ... mmhhhh , very attractive!
If I will acquire an R6 the RF 1.8 50 with the exceptional 7 stops image stabilization (and if it is 4-5 stops in real world) would be a great addition - with EOS RP I better rely on my RF 1.8 35 !
Besides: Great options from Canon for different levels of wallet thickness and photographic skills/needs!

Upvote 0

Mahk43

EOS R6
CR Pro
Feb 28, 2020
France
www.clarenc.art
They finally have affordable primes in the three equivalent focal lengths I use the most on APS-C. 35, 50 and 85. Might just consider a used EOS R a year from now strictly for portraiture. Or a used R6. (Also, any motorheads here? Yamaha R6 and R1 hehe..)
For portraiture take the R and save money for the lenses!
About R1 yeah definitely the same kind of rocket flagship everyone's expecting

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The RF 50mm F/1.8 was the easiest pre-order decision in my life. I've spent 3x more on a pair of boots than I did the lens...

Really, really looking forward to that tiny size on the R5. The fact that the physical size is the same but the flange distance is smaller makes this a much smaller lens when in use, far more compact having this on a R5 than even a 40mm pancake on a 6D.

The other reality is that this saves me another spot for my EF adapter, during portraits my EF adapter swaps between the 50mm and 24-70, now it'll just be on the 24-70.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
That 50mm is basically a lens cap for the R system. Canon might as well sell them bundled with the camera, because everyone's going to buy one!
As the RF 35 mm 1.8 actually is a kit option for the RP, I would not be surprised if the 50 mm 1. 8 becomes one too for the RP or a future entry level model.

Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Can anyone explain why Canon is making these super compact 70-200 RF lenses, and to a lesser extent the 100-500, and then putting out these humungous lens hoods for them. How about somebody making some good old tulip type hoods for these suckers.

For protection against bright sun rays and acute light sources, longer is better. I've only seen "tulip type" hoods on WA and UWA lenses for which anything longer would actually appear (as vignetting) in the image. Personally, I don't find the hood length problematic. Other long telephoto zooms and primes I have sport even longer hoods. To me, the compact size matters most in transport during which length is not a problem. I just reverse the hood producing a package that is not appreciably longer than the lens without the hood. The Canon L-lens hoods are of such high quality that when reversed they lock in place and just get out of the way.

In use, the hoods are light enough that they don't alter the balance while providing additional protection against bumps and drops. Recently I had a $3600 lens saved from an accidental drop by a long lens hood. The kit fell onto an asphalt walk and, other than a few scraps to the camera and lens hood, there was no damage and not a mark on the lens itself. Hence, I have no complaints about lens-hood length or size.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0