There will be an EOS M/EF-M announcement this year [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Uh oh, am I going to eat crow about the future of EOS M? I don’t believe so, but I have received some pretty cryptic information about an EOS M/EF-M product launch apparently coming in 2021.
I have been told that Canon plans to “pivot the EOS M system is a new direction”. Was this only brought to my attention because of the recent reporting about the PowerShot lineup moving in a new direction, or is there something actually to it?
You do remember that we have seen some very in-depth patents recently showing a new type of ILC camera from Canon that appears to have an EF-M mount.
The same source also told me that you’re going to have to wait until later in 2021 to learn more about what Canon plans to do with EOS M.
Now I’m not going back and forth for the clicks, I’m just...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
As one of the twitter EOS-M lovers, I totally understand your call that EOS-M is on borrowed time. I agree, it is. I just think there's probably an iteration or two left in it, and maybe more if they are really innovative with the format.

I'm not expecting to see any more EF-M lenses launched though (although that would be nice!). But the current lineup is pretty good as it is for the target market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
The only reason you would have to eat crow is if you were invested in the death of the M line. Simple reporting is not a reason to be embarrassed. Judging from the wording in some of your earlier posts, it does seem like there is some investment there :). If Canon morphs M into a solid competitor for Fuji X, then we M aficionados will no doubt give you a little well deserved ribbing and a few excellent recipes for Crow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
I still believe the EOS M series has a part to play in its current form, so do the sales numbers if stats are to be believed.

Not all! But many buyers of the EOS M series are happy snappers, like me when I’m on holiday etc! I think I can remember holidays lol

With some updates and tweaks the compact light-weight EOS M bodies and lenses are still very sought after. My EOS M5 is showing its age but I still enjoy using it and look forward to seeing newer models in the future.

Upvote 0

JoFT

I do love photography
Nov 9, 2014
Germany
delightphoto.zenfolio.com
I still hope for a bright future of the EF-M mount. I love to carry the M6II with me and I still hope for an M5MkII - with 8stop IBIS - and some more lenses.... especially a 100-400, a 56 f1.4 (But I can live with the Sigma....) as well as a 64nn f2.8 macro with 1:1 magnification amd some light....

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
If it takes choice away from the end-user then by all means cry.

People need to get out of this mindset of "oh that's what companies do, we just have to deal with it". No, companies can only exist so long as they meet the needs and desires of customers.

I want to whole-heartedly agree, and I can at least half agree… But it’s worth remembering that while the (in my opinion brilliant) M cameras were selling very well to a lot of happy customers, Canon was hemorrhaging money.

Upvote 0
Why not pivot EOS-M to video? The EF-M lenses (even the zooms) are really good quality and remarkably compact. A shift to video-centric EOS M cameras with C-log2 & C-log3 profiles, full sensor 4k recording, IBIS or built-in ND (don't think they could fit both in one camera body), and a retooled set of EF-M lenses with power zoom functionality would get a lot of attention for uses like vlogging, drone cams, travel cams, and crash cams.

EOS R cameras and RF glass may have secured the top-shelf video performance capabilities among Canon's products, but not everybody wants or needs a 5-6 lb. camera/lens combo coupled to a massive gimbal just to get some decent B-roll. But whatever - the market will decide I guess.

Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
Why not pivot EOS-M to video? The EF-M lenses (even the zooms) are really good quality and remarkably compact. A shift to video-centric EOS M cameras with C-log2 & C-log3 profiles, full sensor 4k recording, IBIS or built-in ND (don't think they could fit both in one camera body), and a retooled set of EF-M lenses with power zoom functionality would get a lot of attention for uses like vlogging, drone cams, travel cams, and crash cams.

EOS R cameras and RF glass may have secured the top-shelf video performance capabilities among Canon's products, but not everybody wants or needs a 5-6 lb. camera/lens combo coupled to a massive gimbal just to get some decent B-roll. But whatever - the market will decide I guess.

That’s kind of what I hoped the M50II was going to be. I think it’s a great idea; I don’t think it’s going to happen, but I think it’s a great idea.

Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Because the mount does not attract CR's core audience does not mean it isn't profitable. ;)

True. But Just becuase they sell a boat load of them doesn't make them profitable ether. Looking at the patent listed they could be trying to take M a little more upscale in order to be able to fatten the margins.

Upvote 0

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015
Interesting news, and I can't wait to see what this new direction is!

True. But Just becuase they sell a boat load of them doesn't make them profitable ether. Looking at the patent listed they could be trying to take M a little more upscale in order to be able to fatten the margins.

If it means an M5 Mark II with a DIGIC 8 or X processor, IBIS, and Animal Eye AF, then I'm all for it! :)

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0