Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Back in November, I promoted a Kickstarter campaign for the X-Tra Performance battery, a very cool looking battery product for your Canon and other mirrorless cameras.
In the past, I’ve generally only ever promoted campaigns by companies that have had a track record of delivering on their promises, the likes Kurvd, Peak Design and Gura Gear have never really let anyone down, outside of minor delivery delays.
This time, however, it looks like we have all been taken, and I would like to apologize for not properly vetting the project because once I dug deeper after the fact, it became apparent that this project was likely a scam from the get-go.

When did I become suspicious?
I was signed up as an affiliate for the project, and I had spoken directly with the claimed CEO “Jeffrey”, and I was offered 20% of all sales driven to the project. Being the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020
Once Indiegogo and Kickstarter have your money they could care less. You are investing in an idea and nothing else. Credit cards won’t pay you back. Very difficult. They Will temporary give you the money back until the investigation comes back and then they will take your money again quoting that you invested in an idea not a product

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Wow..that sucks.
I have backed a number of Kickstarter campaigns and have gotten what I feel are great deals on new products and have been generally satisfied.

But I supposed bad ones slip through....thanks for the update.

I remembered looking at this one and it just didn't happen to tickle my fancy. Thankfully.

cayenne

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Once Indiegogo and Kickstarter have your money they could care less. You are investing in an idea and nothing else. Credit cards won’t pay you back. Very difficult. They Will temporary give you the money back until the investigation comes back and then they will take your money again quoting that you invested in an idea not a product

The person I spoke to at American Express says they refund all crowdfunding scams. That said, it may depend on your country, card type or even the person you speak to.

If a few hundred people get the refunds, there's no way Kickstarter is going to fill out a few hundred disputes, because they'd probably still lose.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I saw alot of convincing suspicions in thread when you posted this.
Same here. Fishy from the start and was surprised you backed it initially. Sorry to everyone who did. Having a solid bank behind your accounts is so important these days. I've never done the Internet begging thing and now after reading this am more convinced I never will. I'd rather be the 'sucker that pays retail' and does not get scammed or put through a hassle.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
Sorry for all that, and glad to see there are still some people as honest as you are about their mistakes.
To ease the pain, I would say it's more and more difficult to even simply define "scam", some campaigns can be perfectly legal and still a clear loss for investors. Sometimes, you can't even know who's fooling who (and some are even fooling themselves, probably, or at least a part of their staff).

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
My radar went off immediately and I’m sorry you and others got tricked. This is the kind of thing that makes it harder for the legit guys, because, as they say, one bad apple spoils the bunch.

I do give you credit for stepping up and admitting your mistake of backing and recommending them, though. And to the others that got taken, call your CC company. I have seen them do charge backs/refunds in situations that may surprise you.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
When crowdfunding you are taking the place of a capital investor, someone who is experienced at analyzing risk and probability. The kickstarters will print up a proof of concept and the public sees it and thinks that the product actually exists. It doesn't.

I see no reason to kickstarter anything now. You take no risk, and if its a success, you can buy once the first units ship and you'll have a better product because the kinks are smoothed out.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

another_mikey

CR Pro
Feb 17, 2015
Disappointing - I was VERY close to backing this myself but held off, not due to suspicions but just because I was saving for another purchase. I thought the design looked cool though - maybe someone reputable could pick up on the idea, as I thought they had some cool concepts incorporated into the proposed product. Sorry folks may lose their hard earned cash, makes it that much harder for the reputable Kickstarter types in the future too no doubt.

ML

Upvote 0

cuboci

EOS R6
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2014
I looked at your post from back in November and it is in the category Industry News. Now, it was obviously a promotional article but there was nothing in there about your 20% stake in the product, not even that you backed the campaign yourself. A little disclaimer about that would have been nice. I think being transparent about your own involvement when you promote such campaigns is the ethical thing to do. I'm kind of disappointed.

Reactions: 22 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I had backed five Kickstarter campaigns. Two of them came through, and the other three? Well, I have no idea. I haven’t done that for several years, and I never will again, except for a book that someone I know very well is doing on professional audio. But he’s very well known in the industry and has a company that has made numerous high quality recordings. This is his second book. But otherwise, I‘m done with it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I looked at your post from back in November and it is in the category Industry News. Now, it was obviously a promotional article but there was nothing in there about your 20% stake in the product, not even that you backed the campaign yourself. A little disclaimer about that would have been nice. I think being transparent about your own involvement when you promote such campaigns is the ethical thing to do. I'm kind of disappointed.

i didnt know that too , is it the norm for such articles on most reputable sites?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I agree. He probably didn’t think of it at the time. But definately. If someone promotes a product, or any kind of possible product, and has a stake in it, then ethically, they must say that.

actually, I believe it‘s legally required in some jurisdictions. Additionally, if he has a stake, or partial ownership position in the project, he may be responsible for the losses others have suffered.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
i didnt know that too , is it the norm for such articles on most reputable sites?

Yes, it's normal. You can usually tell by the URL of the link. But yes, an affiliate disclaimer is supposed to be on such posts.

Gura Gear, Peak Design, Kurvd are all affiliated as well. It's just standard marketing practice, they only pay marketing dollars out if there are direct sales.

I did put my money where my mouth was and ordered two of the batteries. Thankfully I was refunded, I hope others are successful too.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.