Patent: Canon RF 200mm f/2L IS USM and other Big White Lenses

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It’s no secret that Canon is going to announce a slew of RF mount super-telephoto lenses later in 2021. Which ones will come first remains a mystery, but I’m quite happy to report that Canon has finally patented an RF 200mm f/2L IS USM optical formula, a lens I would be over the moon about when it gets officially announced.
I haven’t yet seen an...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
I have my 200 and 800. Wish I never bought either. Most of the Philippine-based bird watchers I met through photography with these lens are trash.

"Environmentalists" would only steal your photos for their "fundraising" and "awareness campaigns". Paying you in crediting you as the photographer without any sort of compensation.

Other times when I am unlucky they edit out my watermark and present it as works of their own.

The really loonie ones will impose their "ethics" on you that you never signed up for. I never joined you happy lil club because I know its reputation years prior.

They'll never speak up that the real reason the habitat is in decline because they're silent with how prolific they are in baby making.

If I instead used the money of those 2 lenses to buy mining shares in PSE:NIKL at ₱1.51/share in Dec 2010 and sold ₱8.97/share in Jan 2015 I'd have made ₱5.3m and avoided people looking for a handout.

Now if I used all the money I spent on camera gear + birding trips on PSE:NIKL at the above buying and selling price I would have made ₱70m.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I owned the previous version, the EF 200/2L IS. Sold it since I did not use it that often. Haven't had any regrets yet :)
Tue, I use it very, very, rarely that I cannot justify the price. Still, it is my dream lens. Cannot afford it. I rent it once or twice a year for very special occasions. It would be nice to have the RF version available for rent in my city someday.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I owned the previous version, the EF 200/2L IS. Sold it since I did not use it that often. Haven't had any regrets yet :)
I don't get this lens. Too heavy, too short, too little depth of field, too big, and too expensive. I'm sure others love it, but I can't see any situation where I would want this lens.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
"Environmentalists" would only steal your photos for their "fundraising" and "awareness campaigns". Paying you in crediting you as the photographer without any sort of compensation.
Surely unterstand your anger. And people should ask in first and pay in second for copyrights if not given for free.
But a little bit OT, isn't it?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I don't get this lens. Too heavy, too short, too little depth of field, too big, and too expensive. I'm sure others love it, but I can't see any situation where I would want this lens.
Photographers buying this particular glass can replace multiple lens by using teleconverters 1.4X or 2X, saving them space and $$$.

200f2 x 1.4 = 280 f2.8
200f2 x 1.4 = 400 f4

So

If this RF is really sharp, then it’s like having two extra lens for the price of one, covering multiple genre in one. This setup will probably be lighter than having the real RF 300f2.8 or RF 400f4 DO with a tiny drop in IQ and AF performance.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Surely unterstand your anger. And people should ask in first and pay in second for copyrights if not given for free.
I'd do what smart people would do. Ignore. :ROFLMAO:

I think of this as a public service for those on the fence for a purchase.

Internet squatters will steal your work. So is it really worth posting it online or even a buy?

I wish someone pointed it out to me in my 20s so I wouldnt waste my time and money with a bunch of social justice warriors who are going after "evil corp" "fighting the good fight" when the real culprit of habitat destruction and flora/fauna extinction are their next door neighbors producing demand by having more than 2 kids.

Think breeding like rabbits of 6 or more offspring.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The comments on this thread are interesting. I have heard nothing but good things about the EF version of this lens. People glowing about its performance for things as diverse as portrait, sports, and wildlife with and without extenders.
For me, I’m sure the price will be too high, but I’m not really the buyer they are targeting. Sounds like a great lens though.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Same, even with all the fanfare it never had the lure of the relatively inexpensive 135 or even the cost effective very good 2.8 200L, which is very underrated. Like others said, just too much in so many ways.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
I have my 200 and 800. Wish I never bought it. Most of the Philippine-based bird watchers I met through photography with these lens are trash.

The really loonie ones will impose their "ethics" on you that you never signed up for.

They'll never speak up that the real reason the habitat is in decline is because they're silent with how prolific they are in baby making.

If I instead used the money of those 2 lenses to buy mining shares in PSE:NIKL at ₱1.51/share in Dec 2010 and sold ₱8.97/share in Jan 2015 I'd have made ₱5.3m and avoided people looking for a handout.
You’re a horrible person.

• Angry
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
Honestly not really that over the top. I have cerebral palsy and I have had other "birders" nearly knock me down while trying to capture images of a bird in a rare location.

If people are willing to shove a handicapped person to get a photograph of a bird then they certainly will steal a photograph.

Which is exactly why I pretty much gave up on any organized "birding". The rudeness is astounding.

Upvote 0
Honestly not really that over the top. I have cerebral palsy and I have had other "birders" nearly knock me down while trying to capture images of a bird in a rare location.

If people are willing to shove a handicapped person to get a photograph of a bird then they certainly will steal a photograph.

Which is exactly why I pretty much gave up on any organized "birding". The rudeness is astounding.
You’re NOT a horrible person.

Upvote 0
Hopefully, someday, I can get one. In the meantime, I’ll distract myself by breeding like a rabbit. Shooting blanks, but still free and fun.:p
I really wish that was the case for almost everyone. Especially those who are in their 60s and approaching half a dozen kids from more than 1 partner!

Upvote 0