A new camera not named the R1 is coming in the 2nd half of 2021 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been talking about an EOS R1 for quite some time now, and with Nikon formally announcing the development of the Z 9, that will put a bit of pressure on Canon to do the same.
A source with a pretty decent track record has reached out and told me that an exciting new RF mount camera is coming early in the 2nd half of 2021, but it won’t be the R1. Canon doesn’t have a launch date yet as they continue to battle supply chain issues, but they want to get it out as soon as possible.
Could this be the high-resolution version of the EOS R5, or something else?
The R1 will likely get a development announcement, but won’t be available until the first half of 2022 at this point.
More to come on this…

Continue reading...

That's somewhat surprising - with all the glass coming, one would think the next body in the pipeline would be the flagship. I wonder if they just aren't calling it the R1 and the next camera is yet still a flagship?

With that said, I'm pretty keen on the high resolution body and wouldn't be upset if it was next.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
Think the writing was on the wall on this one.

I would guess it's the R7 that's coming, but I wouldn't bet a dime on it, or frankly, anything right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Interesting development. I guess this makes some sense because typically Canon releases their 1-series bodies in Q1 of a given year. Historically, the 1Dx Mk3 was released in January 2020 and the 1Dx Mk2 was released in Feb 2016. Fingers are crossed for a Q1 2022 release and a Q4 2021 development announcement. I just hope that Canon coordinates the delivery of the 1-series mirrorless camera with the delivery of various super telephoto lenses. I am booking photography trips in Q3 2022 and hope that Canon has the R1 body and super telephoto lenses by then.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
Well, Canon delivered 1Dx III a year ago as usual, just before the expected Tokyo Olympics 2020, so now everything is possible. They do not have an urgency to bring R1 until Soccer World Cup 2022. So Spring-Summer 2022 look legitimate IMO. And considering that Canon still need to generate return on investment for 1Dx III they may postpone R1 even more.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
There are a couple of things that could be going on here. First, this doesn't mean no R1 type body. Second, it could be the low-priced new R body that we've read rumors about in the past. Third, it could be the APS-C sports/action body that would presumably replace the 7D (R7?) for a lower-cost pixel-dense, high speed camera for us regular people. Or, it could be the high-megapixel body that would accompany the R5 (an R3, perhaps?).

Hard to say which one(s) of these could be true, or if its something else.

Upvote 0
All I want for Christmas is... EOS R mark II
Three years after its initial release, it would be great.

Just take the EOS R and give it:
- slight bump in MP, about 32-34 MP
- 10 FPS with full auto-focus
- maybe IBIS (depending on pricing)
- Joystick, no Touch Bar (although I like the Touch Bar...)
- one extra customizable Button (I'm always missing one )

And yes, I know there won't be an "EOS R Mark II", but I honestly believe that there will be a successor with a different naming scheme. RP and R don't fit in with R5/ R6 and the upcoming R1

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0