Confirmed, a Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced this year [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I reported last week that an EOS R cinema camera would be coming in the future. I have now confirmed this to be true, and we should expect an announcement in late 2021 with availability in early 2022.
The camera, which we are calling the EOS R5c will be equipped with the same image sensor as the EOS R5 and will have all of the same recording options.
The big news? It will be a slightly bigger body with active cooling and it will also remain a hybrid camera for stills shooting.
The EOS R5c will also come with C-Log 2.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5

A bunch of video features are being added to the next firmware. Cooling.... we'll see if they can improve it some more.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
Thats bad news for current R5 owners , that means the next firmware updates are not going to sort the heating issues out , or add much to the video side of the current R5
Well I am afraid there is a limit what a software can achieve regarding heating.
If the "physical" design of the camera is creating "heat", a software may reduce slightly the speed of the phenoma but not stop it.

Sad for sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Well I am afraid there is a limit what a software can achieve regarding heating.
If the "physical" design of the camera is creating "heat", a software may reduce slightly the speed of the phenoma but not stop it.

Sad for sure.
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
FINALLY!!! That will be a REALLY exciting 4K camera. R5 in a C70 type body. Internal NDs I wonder? I'm assuming no pro level mic inputs and preamps sets like the cinema line but hey, that's just fine. I'd almost rather see them ditch the stills completely and go with a DV 7 chip

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
It seems to me like Canon are saying , we made a mistake with the R5 so we will now release another one , with cooling built in so the video side works better .
Made a mistake? Totally disagree. Of course we haven't seen the new model yet, but I guess most people still will go for normal R5. A body with active cooling sounds like something you want only if you plan to do a lot of video with it.

Reactions: 21 users
Upvote 0
Made a mistake? Totally disagree. Of course we haven't seen the new model yet, but I guess most people still will go for normal R5. A body with active cooling sounds like something you want only if you plan to do a lot of video with it.
Absolutely agreed. Active cooling is a hard pass for me for me if it means reduced weather sealing. This is positive though - Canon obviously sees that there is a market here which isn't perfectly aligned to the needs of traditional 5D users, which the R5 was aimed at. Having an R5c and an R5 allow flexibility for potential buyers to balance their needs without compromising their use case.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
I will take my weathered sealed R5 over a Camera that has longer record times and is not weather sealed all day and everyday. (No idea what the R5C will have but it is safe bet that active cooling = fan = less weather sealed.)

Right tool for the job, if the new Camera better suit for your needs buy that and be happy but I think calling one of the best selling Cameras on the market a mistake is just trolling.

BTW, I have not had a single overheating issue with my R5 or my R6 because I know what it is capable of and work with what I have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Don't understand the bit about it still being a Hybrid as it would make the R5 almost redundant?

In the UK the R5 is £4200 and the C70 is £4800 so cost wise the R5c has to come in between and will hurt sales of both.

R5c = full frame, 8K, down sampled 4K HQ
C70 = DGO, codecs, XLR audio features, ND's, DR.

Will be a tough call between those two

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I hope they don't just pull an FX3 and make the exact same camera but sliiiiightly different. For an R5c to have a place, it has to have some big video advancements. Something like S1 sized, no record limits, with internal NDs and a mini XLR or two (or at least an XLR adapter), and timecode would be AMAZING. The C70 is close, but it's still a chunky beast and non full-frame.

If I had to pick two features, it would be some sort of XLR module or mini XLRs on body and a timecode port (like the S1H).

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nah. Just making a video centric camera for people more into video than stills. The R5 is more stills oriented. People should, and most will, choose the right tool for the job. Anyone who did not think shooting a weather sealed camera in FF 4K for extended periods of time wouldn’t have heat issues just wasn’t thinking the purchase through. It’s like ordering a hamburger and then complaining there’s no cheese. This is particularly true because Canon outlined the limitations before release.

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

jdavidse

R5
CR Pro
Sep 13, 2012
You want a weather sealed rain proof camera? R5. You want a video rig with a vent on the side that lets in anything? That’s what the R5c is for

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
All makes sense now. The R5 was built to a price that is a lot less than a Sony A1 (or the upcoming Nikon Z9).

This new variant will cost way more though, the previous rumour suggested ND filters, that probably sounds too good to be true, to keep it working as a "full-on" hybrid camera it will have the mechanical shutter and IBIS retained (just like the Sony FX3).

I wonder if they are going to "unlock" the 5.1k60P internal RAW recording in the 1.6x crop mode as well or keep it at 8K only, as it is just an artificial limitation on the R5, the 1DX III can handle it with the same processor and memory card interface. Although AF is disabled on the 1DX III in 5.5k60p or 4k60p FF mode, while DPAF is fully operational on the R6 in the almost FF 4k60p mode, maybe even Canon is getting confused about which camera can do this and that :)

Upvote 0