Canon officially announces the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon USA has officially announced the Canon RF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, the first dedicated macro lens for the RF mount.
Press Release
The Canon RF100mm F2.8 L Macro IS USM lens is not only Canon’s first RF lens designed specifically for macro photography, but also the world’s first[1] medium telephoto macro lens with a maximum magnification of 1.4x. The new lens, designed for both advanced photo enthusiasts and professionals, takes macro photography expression to the next level with the introduction of a spherical aberration (SA) control ring. The SA control ring allows users to change the character and appearance of the bokeh and obtain a softer focus effect with a simple turning of the ring to the desired result.
Additional features of the Canon RF100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM include:

Optical Image Stabilizer with up to five stops of Shake Correction[2].
When combined with...

Continue reading...

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Will be interesting to see how much light is lost in the SA adjustments. The "soft focus" lenses that canon produced with non-variable SA adjustments were cutting out > a stop of light.

The BH photo first look shows the exposure parameters(he's using auto exposure, it looks like, so it changes, but the subject stays the same) I'd say it looks like at most it's maybe 2/3rds of a stop, but it does seem like the lighting gets a little brighter when he's turned to plus, separate from the exposure, so maybe 1/3rd of a stop, Not really all that much.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
With a R5 + this RF100mm macro (5298$), and croping when necessary, you can do almost the same things than a R6 with a RF70-200 (5198$) for the same price... interresting for a futur choice
If you mean 70-200 f/2.8 then it's not exactly correct. Cropping 100mm (shot at 2.8) half gives you equivalent of 200mm but also f/5.6 and image quality of four times the ISO.
Even the f/4 lens would have an advantage at 200mm.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Great news. Except for the price. That is tough.
1.549,00 € in Germany (incl. VAT)

"Spherical aberration (SA) control ring" Let's see how that would work in real world and how useful it is
Yes that will be really interesting.

And as I do a lot of handheld marco the better IS togehter with IBIS and the 1.4x mag would make me want to get it - if I went into R/RF ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0