Patent: Canon RF 28mm f/1.4L USM and Canon RF 35 f/1.4L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent showcasing what would be two popular fast prime optical formulas in the form of an RF 28mm f/1.4L USM (Yay!) and an RF 35mm f/1.4L USM.
As you may remember, we recently saw a patent for the long-rumoured Canon RF 35mm f/1.2L USM. It probably doesn’t make much sense to have both a `1.2 and a 1.4 35mm lens in the lineup. The RF 28mm f/1.4L USM does excite me on a personal level.
Canon RF 28mm f/1.4L USM

Focal Length: 28.00mm
F-number: 1.42
Half angle: 37.69°
Image height:21.64mm
Lens total length: 140.62mm
Backfocus: 21.99mm

Canon RF 35mm f/1.4L USM

Focal Length: 34.98mm
F-number: 1.42
Half angle: 31.73°
Image height: 21.64mm
Lens total length: 154.45mm
Backfocus: 16.17mm

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Jun 12, 2015
Does "Lens total length" not mean what I think it does? These would be wayyyy too big at 140mm and 154mm in length. The EF 35 1.4L II is 105mm. The new Sony 35mm 1.4 is 96mm.
My first reaction as well. As much as I appreciate the RF lenses, I do envy Sony for the small but still very good 24 and 35 f1.4 GM lenses. I thought the larger RF lens mount would benefit Canon in both size and quality. Maybe I am wrong.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Does "Lens total length" not mean what I think it does? These would be wayyyy too big at 140mm and 154mm in length. The EF 35 1.4L II is 105mm. The new Sony 35mm 1.4 is 96mm.
You have to subtract 20 mm from total lens length to get how much is sticking out of the body. And of course you have to add 24 mm to an EF lens length to get a fair comparison, as that's the length of the adapter.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
9mm difference. 9mm makes absolutely no difference to me. I find it very hard to believe that 9mm is a deal breaker for anyone. It certainly isn’t a reason to switch brands. 9mm? Nothing to sweat about.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I would appreciate smaler lenses on my R6. The EF-Lenses are quite big with adapter. Here is a comparison with my Leica SL and the 2.8/60mm Macro-Elmarit. This is the size i would have for RF-Primes.
I too have the R 2,8/60 .
And absolutely love it, not only for being small.
It is deadly sharp, contrasty, distortionless, flare resistant, low vignetting : just a perfect MF lens.
Is this the way to go: smallish EOS R cameras with barrel-sized lenses ?
We need more options.

Upvote 0
Hmm, I don't know, this trend of lens development starts to look excessively over-engineered. Ok, I guess some people might wish to have an extremely well corrected lens with large aperture. But how much is this lump of glass going to weight? IQ will certainly be much better than the old style SLR lenses, but at some point the improvement isn to worth the extra weight and size. Maybe it's my old eyes that don't need pixel perfect resolution anymore.... Anyway, as long as it sells for Canon, it's ok. But don't forget lenses for the rest of the photographers that would like to have something reasonable that is better than a smartphone.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Funny timing on this one. I just ordered the Sigma 28 f1.4 ART to use on my R5. Canon really needs to step up their game on the wide end for the RF lenses. I look enviously at all the great wide angl;e options available in the Sony E mount and what Nikon has already put out for the Z cameras.
It always makes me smile when an individual says something like “Canon needs to...”. Canon are turning out class leading and tech leading lenses and bodies faster than anybody else.

As an aside, can you get uncooked RAW files from the Sony’s or Nikon’s when using those new small fast wide primes? I suspect not....

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
It always makes me smile when an individual says something like “Canon needs to...”. Canon are turning out class leading and tech leading lenses and bodies faster than anybody else.

As an aside, can you get uncooked RAW files from the Sony’s or Nikon’s when using those new small fast wide primes? I suspect not....
Fair enough. I must say that I love the files coming from Sigma ART lenses on the R5. I can deal with the extra ounces.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I'd love a 28 mm fixed lens, though I'd prefer a compact f/2. With IS, doesn't have to be an L. It will always be a street/travel lens for me, on an R body.

And an f/1.4 50 mm with IS!
I am with you on the 28 being an F2. I feel like a broken record harping on Sigma and Canon to follow Nikon with a 1.8 or F2 lens. That is all we need in the street, I get them wanting the 35 and the 85 that is big and bright and comes with an optional sherpa, but the 28 is a lens that should slip in to a pocket!

Last edited:
Upvote 0