Panasonic announces the LUMIX GH5M2 as well as the development of the LUMIX GH6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The LUMIX GH5M2 features 4K 60p 4:2:0 10-bit video recording and wireless live streaming capability
Newark, NJ (May 25, 2021) – Designed with video creators in mind, Panasonic is proud to introduce its newest digital mirrorless camera, the LUMIX GH5M2, featuring outstanding video performance for all film creators. The next high-performance product in the evolution of the GH5, the LUMIX GH5M2 achieves C4K[*1]/4K 60p 4:2:0 10-bit[*2] video recording and simultaneous output of 4:2:2 10-bit over HDMI during 4K 60p 4:2:0 10-bit internal recording. With the pre-installed V-Log L, it is easy to match the color tone with the footage recorded in V-Log of S1H/S1 and V-Log L of GH5/GH5S.
The 20.3-megapixel Digital Live MOS Sensor with Anti-Reflective (A.R.) coating clearly captures details and drives the maximum performance of the lens. The image processor is also updated from that of the GH5 by adopting the latest Venus Engine that boasts high speed and performance.
*1 Corresponding...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Have I just watched a company advertise a new product, with a message of don't buy, wait for the next one later in the year?
Honestly, it's a good move. They can utilize some of the old parts but upgrade the processor to provide new functionality, and still match the current model's price point. It's a workhorse for those who use it and see the value, and more options are always good.

For those who need/want/can afford the best of the best, they can also wait for that.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Have I just watched a company advertise a new product, with a message of don't buy, wait for the next one later in the year?
I do not think they would mind that much whether you buy this camera now or wait and buy the more expensive one.
They are targeted at different sets of buyers.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
In current situation that direct live streaming option is going to be useful to a lot of people who are teaching online classes.
I would have bought a $1000 WiFi battery grip for my R5 if it di video streaming like that.
It is good at what it does but it has a special use case that kind of wastes the potential it has.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
I sold my Panasonic gear because all my videos came out blurry. I loved the camera and lenses other than that. How can they still not have fixed this?
Sounds like a problem with your work; I've had amazing results, significantly better than anything I was getting out of a Canon camera at that price point (the XXD series or even like a 7D).

Isn’t this the Same Old Sensor? They can do whatever they want, but if it is, it’s almost 6 years old. They can just squeeze so much out of it.
Yeah, sounds like they managed to squeeze a little more dynamic range with some coatings, but, this is clearly merging available parts and supply lines to keep customers happy til a GH6 hits.

Im personally very excited for when the GH6 releases and the GH5II prices hit $1000 on the used market so I can grab a second body

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
A FF sensor with the capability of what they promise in a GH6 would be almost perfect for a hybrid camera.
5.7K 60p no crop, 4K 120p with a 1.4x crop (I assume), internal 10-bit, fast readout, great ISO and dynamic range and the stills resolution would be around 22 MP which is enough.

It would be better than an FX9 or a C500 Mark II (or maybe the C90) regarding the slow motion, and it would not have the low megapixel count of the A7SIII, so of course a camera like this is highly unlikely.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A FF sensor with the capability of what they promise in a GH6 would be almost perfect for a hybrid camera.
5.7K 60p no crop, 4K 120p with a 1.4x crop (I assume), internal 10-bit, fast readout, great ISO and dynamic range and the stills resolution would be around 22 MP which is enough.

It would be better than an FX9 or a C500 Mark II (or maybe the C90) regarding the slow motion, and it would not have the low megapixel count of the A7SIII, so of course a camera like this is highly unlikely.
You may be describing the R1 but we still do not know the MP count.

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019

They might offer what you say with a modification of the S5 software.
When you see what is already available on the S5, this might be an option for them?

Upvote 0

telemaque

Before Sunset
CR Pro
Nov 30, 2019
I've had amazing results, significantly better than anything I was getting out of a Canon camera at that price point (the XXD series or even like a 7D).

Like you I have a strong respect for Panasonic who pushed the idea of DSLR becoming a real camera. What Canon started with the 5D Mark II, Panasonic brought it further. And today part of the excellent bodies from Canon were influenced by the video quality of the GH series.

And let's type in Google: Lumix GH5 footage

What do you get on top of the list? The below video... and honnestly a very nice result and pleasing images.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
When you see what is already available on the S5, this might be an option for them?
No, that sensor is yesterday's news. It has no FF 4K60P (only APS-C) no 4K120P of any kind and also much more rolling shutter.

The sensor in the R5 is more advanced compared to this one but FF 4K60P is line-skipped and the 4K120P is lower quality. 8K is not worth it for this.

Again, the main problem with a 6K camera like this is that it really starts to cannibalise higher-end cinema cameras while also being able to shoot good stills.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
S5 overheats while shooting 4K 60 FPS.
Even the larger and actively cooled S1H has a crop at 4K 60 FPS.

Upvote 0