The Canon EOS R3 will be officially announced in September

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
After my previous announcement date gaffe, I decided that the next time I give everyone an announcement date, it’s actually accurate. This time, barring any unknown catastrophe, I have received confirmation from good sources that the Canon EOS R3 body will be announced in September 2021.
I do not have the exact announcement date in September, but I think we may need to be closer to September before the hype machine starts rolling.
At this time, I have no additional features or specifications to report.
Canon EOS R3 Specifications:

24mp (Rumored) 30.1mp (Rumored) backside illuminated image sensor
Multi-Controller &...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2010
Certainly, if you don't mind losing your place and going to the back of the pre-order line when you re-place your pre-order down the road. We all know you're just fooolin......
If it could be pre-ordered, I’d have done it already. B&H pre-orders start after the product is officially announced.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Was the 30.1mp announced by Canon or is it from a third party rumor? There was also some report of a surprise about sensor resolution?
I think the "surprise" was that the resolution is quite low - many must have been expecting the R3 to match the resolution of the R5 and the Sony a1. But for 95% of images (if not more) 30MP is more than enough, and has multiple advantages over higher resolutions e.g. less noise, higher max ISO, better DR, higher fps/bigger buffer. The design of the R3 seems almost perfect, considering the type of user it is aimed at.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
…multiple advantages over higher resolutions e.g. less noise, higher max ISO, better DR, higher fps/bigger buffer…
Those advantages were more apparent five years ago or so. In real world use today the 45 mp sensor performs very well at high ISOs. At the same time the 1Dx III sensor’s 20mp sustains cropping much better than previous generations. We are fast approaching the point where the old assumptions are relevant only for theoretical debates on geek forums.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Was the 30.1mp announced by Canon or is it from a third party rumor? There was also some report of a surprise about sensor resolution?

As far as I have read, the 30.1MP sensor is still a rumor, and not officially announced yet.

Here is the information originally posted about the "resolution trick":

"The image sensor is all-new from Canon, as we know it’s a stacked backside-illuminated image sensor. Beyond what Canon has told us, I have been told that this camera will have a “resolution trick”. Does that mean it will have pixel-shift or something else? This will not be a 20mp camera like the EOS-1D X Mark III, so expect a very high-resolution image sensor."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
I think the "surprise" was that the resolution is quite low - many must have been expecting the R3 to match the resolution of the R5 and the Sony a1. But for 95% of images (if not more) 30MP is more than enough, and has multiple advantages over higher resolutions e.g. less noise, higher max ISO, better DR, higher fps/bigger buffer. The design of the R3 seems almost perfect, considering the type of user it is aimed at.
The rumor was about a "resolution trick," not a "surprise". A 30MP sensor would not be considered a "trick" though it could be considered a "surprise".

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0