Stock Notice: Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon USA store has stock of the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, which like most RF mount lenses, it is hard to come by when you want one.
Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM Key Features

Bright, Constant f/2.0 Zoom Lens
L-series Lens with High Image Quality
Control Ring for Direct Setting Changes
12 pin Communication System
Dust- and Water-resistant with Fluorine Coating
Air Sphere Coating (ASC) Minimizes Lens Flare and Ghosting
Two UD Elements and One Super UD Element
Zoom Focal Length: Focal Length: 28-70mm

Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM $2999

Continue reading...

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Great lens, but was too heavy for my taste and use. Stuck with the 24-70 mm f2.8 and the 50 and 85 mm f1.2 primes.
I've been wanting the 50mm now, but not sure if I'm being a bit over zealous. I use my 85mm for work portraits, 70-200 for sports and events, but I'm missing that leave it on the camera lens. Debating waiting for the 35mm though. Feel like 50 is so close to 85 and 70. I thought I'd be fine with the RF nifty fifty, but the novelty wore off quick.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Great lens, but was too heavy for my taste and use. Stuck with the 24-70 mm f2.8 and the 50 and 85 mm f1.2 primes.

Yup, I ended up in a similar place as you (minus the 85).
Can't thank you both enough for your commentary about the RF28-70 lens and your experiences with it. Caused me to have an Ah Ha moment and rethink my purchase of it, especially after my similar experience with the RF 100-500 lens. Great lens but gets a little tiring lugging it around on a photo shoot for a few hrs. Using a Peak design or Spiderpro hand strap makes the process much easier and far less fatiguing but worry about the possible long term stress this may put on the R6 mount, when holding in rest position, walking around with the lens pointed toward the ground. So, for now, in lieu of buying the RF 28-70, will just stick with using my RF24-105, while I wait for my new RF14-35 to arrive. Then, if necessary, I may consider the RF24-70 F2.8 down the road. So, thank you gentlemen, you just saved me spending $3000.00 on a lens having huge size and weight constraints that would probably have caused that lens to just sit on the shelf.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Can't thank you both enough for your commentary about the RF28-70 lens and your experiences with it. Caused me to have an Ah Ha moment and rethink my purchase of it, especially after my similar experience with the RF 100-500 lens. Great lens but gets a little tiring lugging it around on a photo shoot for a few hrs. Using a Peak design or Spiderpro hand strap makes the process much easier and far less fatiguing but worry about the possible long term stress this may put on the R6 mount, when holding in rest position, walking around with the lens pointed toward the ground. So, for now, in lieu of buying the RF 28-70, will just stick with using my RF24-105, while I wait for my new RF14-35 to arrive. Then, if necessary, I may consider the RF24-70 F2.8 down the road. So, thank you gentlemen, you just saved me spending $3000.00 on a lens having huge size and weight constraints that would probably have caused that lens to just sit on the shelf.
Your welcome.

Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I'm not sure how anyone that's owned the 28-70 or used it could deny how amazing it is. It's not much heavier than the RF 85-1.2 and most of the weight is near the mount instead of it being a front heavy lens. A true one of one.
Hands down... it's amazing. It's about 1/2 lb heavier than the 85/1.2L, and just a tad lighter than the 100-500L, but the front element is huge (thread at 95mm vs 82/77 respectively). And I truly thought all those that warned about the size were wimps (so much so, that I ditched the 24-105/4L in prep). But it's not the weight so much as the diameter/balance of it (to me it 'felt' more awkward than the 100-500 due to the weight distribution and diameter). Oh, and it's really hard to be incognito with that lens... you might as well put a flashing sign over your head.

To be honest, I thought I wanted the best of the best... but I really 'needed' a lens in that range I could travel with and the 24-70/2.8L fit that better than the 28-70/2L would. I would rather travel with the 24-70 + 50/1.2L (or the 24-70 alone) than the 28-70.

The thing is the lens is a tool... it has to both fit a need and justifiable usage time. For me... I needed a zoom to cover this range. I wanted L glass. I wanted fast. I wanted mobility. I had all 3 contenders at some point (24-105/4L, 28-70/2L, & 24-70/2.8L) and the 24-70 was the winner in my eyes. Do I still wish I had the 28-70/2L or even the 24-105/4L sure... I have use cases for those... but it comes down to 'how often'. If money was no object, I would have all 3 no doubt about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Not a problem. I wrote about my experiences with the lens comparing it to others (multiple times in the forums). And I really don't want to discourage anyone from getting this awesome lens. But, I do want them to be informed before pulling that trigger just in case they have/had the same starting/ending point I did.

Also, for point of reference. I prefer how the 100-500 lens feels in hand over the 28-70.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got mine today. Yes, it's heavy, but it's worth the weight to me.

View attachment 199659

Nice! I'm just curious where you picked this lens up? Did you order and have to wait a long time?

Side note: it's been kind of a fiasco on the canon shop website. The last couple days it's shown in stock and I even tried to order it, but when go to order it, it said back ordered and got email notification stating as such. I called and had that order canceled but I have it on order from earlier and am hopeful that it won't take too long to get mine.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Nice! I'm just curious where you picked this lens up? Did you order and have to wait a long time?

Side note: it's been kind of a fiasco on the canon shop website. The last couple days it's shown in stock and I even tried to order it, but when go to order it, it said back ordered and got email notification stating as such. I called and had that order canceled but I have it on order from earlier and am hopeful that it won't take too long to get mine.
I ordered from the Canon website when it said "In Stock." After a week of waiting for them to ship it, I called. At first, I was told "it's on backorder," but when I asked to cancel, the computer wouldn't allow it. It turns out they did have one for me after all. I think it's strange... I'd like to know what is going on.

Upvote 0
I ordered from the Canon website when it said "In Stock." After a week of waiting for them to ship it, I called. At first, I was told "it's on backorder," but when I asked to cancel, the computer wouldn't allow it. It turns out they did have one for me after all. I think it's strange... I'd like to know what is going on.

Nice. I should have ordered sooner, but my back order is in place so I don’t lose my place in line. Though it’s strange, even now when I checked, it says “In Stock” but I don’t think that’s the case actually. Their website is kind of aggravating. I am hoping that it won‘t be on back order for very long. I suppose I can wait for a while, however I am just eager to get it.

Upvote 0