DJI officially launches the DJI Mini SE, a sub 250g drone for only $299

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
DJI has officially launched the DJI Mini SE, an extry level drone that comes in at under 250g and costs only $250. The weight of this drone gets you under the weight requirement of testing and registering your drone in various countries. Be sure to check to rules of your country to be sure.
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use drone for your kids or as a first-time drone purchase, this may be the drone for you.
The added bonus is this new drone is in stock and ready to ship from Adorama.
DJI Mini SE Key Features:

3-axis motorized gimbal camera lets you capture aerial 12MP shots and 2.7K Quad HD videos
Features a Vision Sensor + GPS Precise Hover and a 360-degree propeller guard
QuickShot modes, including Dronie, Circle, Helix & Rocket allow it to move within a preset motion
DJI Fly app lets you conveniently view live recordings and access Flight Tutorial
Long-lasting battery life provides a maximum flight time of approximately 30...

Continue reading...

csibra

I'm not an M6 for sure
Jul 21, 2017
Hungary
The weight is < 250g which makes it legal to fly in the USA unlicenced.
The price is $299
This is the title: "DJI officially launches the DJI Mini SE, a sub 250g drone for only $299"
This is the first row in the article: "DJI has officially launched the DJI Mini SE, an extry level drone that comes in at under 250g and costs only $250."
That's why I ask :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Saw this review and boy, save your money, 4km my ass

Good advice about what happens when it goes out of range and not to press buttons.
I don't think anyone should be flying a drone 4KM from where they are.
Legally in my country its 400m which is reasonable considering how dangerous they could be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Good advice about what happens when it goes out of range and not to press buttons.
I don't think anyone should be flying a drone 4KM from where they are.
Legally in my country its 400m which is reasonable considering how dangerous they could be.
But that’s not how my DJI drone works once the Return Home function has been initiated, either automatically or manually. On mine if you want to override the Return Home instruction you have to push a button and swipe the screen on the controller to confirm that instruction. The Cancel Return Home is a deliberate two operation function, random input to the controller does not over ride it in my experience.

What can easily happen is people don’t program in suitable parameters for that Return Home function and if the drone doesn’t have obstacles avoidance it can hit something, but if it does have obstacle avoidance it will stop before hitting that obstacle and go into a hover and await instructions. Which never come so it lands where it is when the battery gets to a critical low level. It is important to set the auto return parameters and what the drone should do when it encounters an obstacle. I set mine to go to an altitude 100’ above the highest surrounding feature before making it’s way back to the launch site.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The weight is < 250g which makes it legal to fly in the USA unlicenced.
The price is $299
Yes, because of the weight, you don't need to get the register the drone. However, for recreational flying, you still need to pass the TRUST test (The Recreational UAS Safety Test) which is pretty easy. However, the TRUST certificate only allows you to fly for personal fun. But the FAA's idea of "fun" is for your own personal enjoyment. If you decide to post the drone footage on social media, the FAA says it's no longer considered for your own personal enjoyment, but rather, you are sharing that enjoyment and thus are subject to Part 107 which requires a much more difficult test. As far as I know, very few people will fly a drone and be able to keep the footage to themselves.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0