Here is the official Canon USA press release for the Canon EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY (September 14, 2021)  Building on the success of the EOS R camera series, Canon U.S.A. Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, today announced the next leap forward in full-frame mirrorless cameras – the professional-grade Canon EOS R3. The new camera leverages the advancements in technology that Canon has developed since the original EOS R launch in 2018 and bridges the gap between the immensely popular EOS R5 and the world-renowned Canon flagship EOS-1D X line. The EOS R3 is the first ‘3’ series camera from Canon since the widely used EOS-3 film camera was launched in 1998.
The EOS R3 camera’s features greatly emphasize superb AF performance and speed with fast-moving subjects. It was designed to meet the reliability and durability demands of professionals, even when working in some extremely challenging conditions.
‘The launch of the EOS R3 sets a new benchmark for the...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
While I'm totally happy with my R5, this is a fun announcement. Can't wait to see what the new sensor can do!

PS: I was expecting a price closer to USD $5,500, but given the particularly high inflation in the US this year, the announced price doesn't shock me...

PPS: I'm thrilled to see an articulating screen on a 1D-level body. I feel a wee bit vindicated after praising all of the Canon articulating screens I've used over the years* while others insisted it would NEVER be added to a pro body. :)

*A80, G12, 70D, R5...

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
I think its going to sell very well, for what you get the price seems reasonable. Nice and solid body which looks great if I could afford it id def get it ! Cant wait to finally see some images and reviews on it see how that eye af goes, if its just a gimmick or not ?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Sadly no resolution trick, no surprise features, no pixel shift, no GPS, no higher MP viewfinder, etc.
But... improved AF for animals will make my happy, assuming it is a significant/noticeable improvement. Also, looking forward to really clean files in low light! And best mirrorless ergonomics! And amazing speed! And improved battery life! Woo hoo!

Did everyone else already know that the hotshoe would not be backwards-compatible? You will need an adapter to use your existing hotshoe accessories, but that adapter will not be released until four months after the R3?

AD-E1
For a seamless transition from your current hot shoe accessories to the multi-function shoe, the
Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 is the answer. The Multi-Function Shoe Adapter AD-E1 provides a
reliable connection for dust and drip proof Speedlite accessories that you may already own such as the
Speedlite EL-1, Speedlite 600EX II-RT, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Speedlite 580EX II, ST-E3-RT or OC-E3 flash

cord. The shoe adapter will also hold current accessories such as shotgun mics and on-camera LED panels
securely to the camera body with dual locking pins on the multi-function shoe side.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Sounds like a great camera! I'm looking forward to holding one to see what I think, since I've always preferred a smaller camera and never had one with a dual grip. I'm fine with the 24MP (I'm used to the R5's 45MP) and think the BSI design and user-eye tracking will (hopefully) be a major step towards getting the most superb photos. This is probably the body that a lot of well paid professionals have been finally waiting for! I hope Canon comes out soon with similar technology (and hopefully QP) in future bodies, including R5-like sized ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
So, the R3 is nearly a flagship but doesn’t quite reach the dizzy heights of the 1DX III

I beg to differ… But we will soon see...
Yes and no. I would say it is absolutely a mirrorless version of a 1D series but that canon is adding a definition of a 'flagship' camera and that what that is will be is the camera with EVERYTHING instead of different cameras to fill different niches.

Upvote 0

Tidy Media

R5 | R6 | R3 | C70
Jul 13, 2020
Yes and no. I would say it is absolutely a mirrorless version of a 1D series but that canon is adding a definition of a 'flagship' camera and that what that is will be is the camera with EVERYTHING instead of different cameras to fill different niches.
This ^ I fully expect the R1 to have the resolution of the R5 (at least) with the speed and all the perks of the R3. More of an OP A1.

Upvote 0
The announcement implies the AF is on par with the R5. Unless the AF is a huge jump up, this camera may be a very hard sell. Same Digic X processor as the R5. With half the MP of the Sony A1 and half the VF resolution of the Sony A1, it faces tough competition.
Not to mention the a1 can shoot 8K 30p and 4K 120p Video in 10-Bit

Upvote 0
$6k LOL! This makes the a9II look like an absolute steal at $4500! Get ready to pay $8k for the R1 :ROFLMAO: Cant wait to see what new $3k RF lenses are coming next! Canon has lost their minds
If I click your name will it take me to a website to buy the a9?
Just wondering where to go to get one of these. That is why I follow Canon sites.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
With half the MP of the Sony A1 and half the VF resolution of the Sony A1, it faces tough competition.
People here have been claiming Canon will have a tough time competing with Sony for a decade. Why hasn’t Canon lost market share to them?

It’s ok…you keep irrelevantly complaining, Canon will keep selling cameras, and you’ll both be happy.

• Haha
Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
People here have been claiming Canon will have a tough time competing with Sony for a decade. Why hasn’t Canon lost market share to them?

It’s ok…you keep irrelevantly complaining, Canon will keep selling cameras, and you’ll both be happy.
One company is actually transparent with their camera sales and earnings, one is not. That's all we need to know.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
This is the part I love...

* Specifications, availability, and price are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.

You think???

IOW - You'll be lucky to get one at "List" price when they first become available as Canon is allowing dealers to set their own pricing - assuming it's NOT less that $5999.99

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
This is the part I love...

* Specifications, availability, and price are subject to change without notice. Actual prices are set by individual dealers and may vary.

You think???

IOW - You'll be lucky to get one at "List" price when they first become available as Canon is allowing dealers to set their own pricing - assuming it's NOT less that $5999.99
An authorized Canon retailer cannot go above the MSRP. They can go below MSRP in-store only.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0