Canon has released an interactive brochure for the Canon EOS R3

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
While we wait for Canon to make available the manual and white paper for the Canon EOS R3, they have provided this thorough interactive PDF for the king of Canon’s mirrorless lineup.
The Canon EOS R3 is expected to begin shipping near the end of November 2021. The first round of shipments likely won’t fulfill all of the preorders, as the camera has proved to be quite popular amongst shooters just going by the preorder numbers.

Preorder the Canon EOS R3

Canon EOS R3 $5999 \ €6099 \ £5879
Canon Eyecup ER-HE $48 \ £69
Canon AD-E1 Multi-Function Shoe Adapter $39 \...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Jul 21, 2010
That large eye cup does seem ideal for left I people.
I am right eye so that is just a guess.
Actually, I suspect the reference was to the accessory eyecup:

639033A1-D7FE-4BE4-A7D0-B715E34E202E.jpeg

There’s a seam between the central plastic circle and the rubber cup, so I’m pretty sure it will be reversible.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
“A big new feature for EOS mirrorless cameras, the Smart Controllers are sensitive touchpads that act as optical devices, allowing you to control the AF area while shooting.”

This implies that the Smart Controller will be a standard feature on all future R series cameras.
That would be nice, but I think they mean it’s new to the line, not every camera in the line. Certainly on the R1, maybe on an R5 II, but not on the rumored >$1K R body, for example.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Interesting that they basically confirm that they R3 uses the same IBIS unit as the R5 and R6.

Also noteworthy that AF now covers virtually 100 % of the frame. Hopefully, whatever enabled that will make it into the lower end bodies sooner rather than later.

Also, while it is understandable that they compare the rolling shutter performance to the 1DX III, it would be nice to see a direct comparison with the R5. From all I know, the R5 already outperformed the 1DX III with regards to rolling shutter. Which is remarkable, as it has a far greater resolution. Makes you wonder if the R3 really is the first stacked Canon sensor, or if it just is the first stacked BSI one (which is what they claimed in the marketing material).

I'm also really looking forward to the point in time where PTP got some images to measure the sensor performance. Canon claims AF capabilities at even less light than the R6, so perhaps that points to an actual improvement in (measured) image quality.

Upvote 0
Of all the stuff in that brochure, the thing that really caught my eye was the example they gave of low light performance at 50k ISO. Normally, companies will have a well-lit shot, where the noise performance will be fine, but this had a rather dark, broody image, and at 50k it looked implausibly good. My curiosity is piqued.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
So if I use the St-E3-Rt with the R3, I need the adapter?
Anyone think it's worth getting the St-10?
My current understanding (based on forum posts and my own examination of images of the R3 shoe, ST-E10 base, 1D X shoe and bases of current sealed and non-sealed flashes that I have in hand, but subject to change) is that you can use the ST-E3-RT directly on the R3, but the combination will not be weather sealed. If you use the AD-E1 shoe adapter (or the ST-E10), you'll have a weather-sealed combination.

Personally, I have an ST-E3-RT, 4 600EX-RT flashes, along with a 270EX II and MT24-EX. FWIW, I preordered both the ST-E10 and the AD-E1 adapter, but that was before I had the piece of information from Canon that non-sealed flash units can mount directly on the R3. I'll probably cancel/return AD-E1 once it's confirmed that direct mounting of sealed flashes on the R3 works (I have never used a flash in the rain), but I'll probably keep the ST-E10 – I like the smaller size, and I am used to controlling the flashes via the camera menus rather than the controls/LCD on the ST-E3-RT.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Krispy

EOS R3/R5
Oct 21, 2019
My current understanding (based on forum posts and my own examination of images of the R3 shoe, ST-E10 base, 1D X shoe and bases of current sealed and non-sealed flashes that I have in hand, but subject to change) is that you can use the ST-E3-RT directly on the R3, but the combination will not be weather sealed. If you use the AD-E1 shoe adapter (or the ST-E10), you'll have a weather-sealed combination.

Personally, I have an ST-E3-RT, 4 600EX-RT flashes, along with a 270EX II and MT24-EX. FWIW, I preordered both the ST-E10 and the AD-E1 adapter, but that was before I had the piece of information from Canon that non-sealed flash units can mount directly on the R3. I'll probably cancel/return AD-E1 once it's confirmed that direct mounting of sealed flashes on the R3 works (I have never used a flash in the rain), but I'll probably keep the ST-E10 – I like the smaller size, and I am used to controlling the flashes via the camera menus rather than the controls/LCD on the ST-E3-RT.
Gotchaaaaa. I have a couple 600 ex-Rt II's and the ST-E3 myself. I COULD sell off the e3 and just keep the e10. I have the adapter on order just in case too.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Gotchaaaaa. I have a couple 600 ex-Rt II's and the ST-E3 myself. I COULD sell off the e3 and just keep the e10. I have the adapter on order just in case too.
I expect Canon will bring out native multifunction shoe flashes at some point. I may hang onto the ST-E3-RT and sell it with some (or all) of my 600’s at that point.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0