Canon updates its list of products affected by supply chain issues

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has updated its list of current products affected by supply chain issues to include the recently announced Canon RF 5.2mm f/2.8L Dual Lens Fisheye.
If you have read much about the global chip and optical glass shortages, all signs point to this being an issue well into 2022. If any of the new products are going to fit into your workflow, I’d definitely get on a preorder list or two, as there are always cancellations.
I appreciate Canon doing this, as a lot of these things are out of its control. Even bad news can sometimes help you plan projects and work taking place in the near future.
[Applicable products]

EOS R3
RF5.2mm F2.8 L DUAL FISHEYE
RF14-35mm F4 L IS...

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-updates-its-list-of-products-affected-by-supply-chain-issues/]Continue reading...

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
ALL of the RF lenses on the list published here are actually in stock and available right now from Panamoz, which is where I buy all my gear. I honestly wouldn’t use any other company. They are a grey exporter based in Hong Kong. I’ve never been let down once in the 10 years I’ve been buying from them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

I watched their demo dance video on Oculus VR and I can confidently say that Canon just made history in the world of VR. 30yrs from now (or could be even before that), this will be known as one of legendary lens, along with R5 for its 8k. People simply haven't realized it yet, wait until Oculus Quest series became a mainstream personal entertainment & productivity gadget, when more and more content for VR are created, 8K and this lens will be the initial dominator in the market. The quality is that good! A complete system in a tiny form factor with quick & hassle free processing.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
really? lens hood, strap, eye cup..... :ROFLMAO:
Yes, initially it seems laughable, but it’s not just chips that are suffering from supply chain issues. Almost every company, even those that manufacture entirely in-house, have problems obtaining raw materials and components. In the UK we even have a shortage of truck drivers, so fuel, food and manufactured goods are all stuck firmly in the pipeline.

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
A lot of the items on the list, that have actually been released, ARE available in other countries.

Are these worth getting? It all depends on:
  • how badly buyers want something
  • how much buyers are willing to pay, considering the inflated overseas prices compared to the US
  • whether the item would survive the long shipping journey
  • what the shipping costs
  • if Canon would honor the warranty on an item purchased in another country

I've previously posted a link to a YouTube video of a guy in Australia who somehow purchased and reviewed the RF 100-400 f/8, and it's not a preview, nor loaner from Canon, just someone who ordered it and it shipped.

That got me curious about what's available outside the US, so I did a google search for the same place. There are plenty of RF 100-500 lenses for around $5,000 AUD, which translates to around $3,650 USD before shipping, way more than the $2,800 that B&H sells them for normally, basically 30% more.

Upvote 0
A lot of the items on the list, that have actually been released, ARE available in other countries.

Are these worth getting? It all depends on:
  • how badly buyers want something
  • how much buyers are willing to pay, considering the inflated overseas prices compared to the US
  • whether the item would survive the long shipping journey
  • what the shipping costs
  • if Canon would honor the warranty on an item purchased in another country

I've previously posted a link to a YouTube video of a guy in Australia who somehow purchased and reviewed the RF 100-400 f/8, and it's not a preview, nor loaner from Canon, just someone who ordered it and it shipped.

That got me curious about what's available outside the US, so I did a google search for the same place. There are plenty of RF 100-500 lenses for around $5,000 AUD, which translates to around $3,650 USD before shipping, way more than the $2,800 that B&H sells them for normally, basically 30% more.
Once you factor 10% GST and Australian consumer protection the difference isn’t that bad.

Upvote 0
Yes, initially it seems laughable, but it’s not just chips that are suffering from supply chain issues. Almost every company, even those that manufacture entirely in-house, have problems obtaining raw materials and components. In the UK we even have a shortage of truck drivers, so fuel, food and manufactured goods are all stuck firmly in the pipeline.

I doubt that plastic is in short supply and the strap looks like any other canon strap. I have 2 or 3 somewhere lying around.

That's not a shortage of truck drivers, that's just because you thought Brexit was a smart move.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I doubt that plastic is in short supply and the strap looks like any other canon strap. I have 2 or 3 somewhere lying around.

That's not a shortage of truck drivers, that's just because you thought Brexit was a smart move.
Well for starters, I most definitely didn’t think Brexit was a smart move, although we do seem to have handled Covid vaccinations much better when freed from Euro bureaucracy. But let’s not dwell on politics, this isn’t the place for it.

Your assumption that plastic isn’t in short supply is based on zero evidence. Covid caused and continues to cause massive logistical problems worldwide, and it affects almost everything, including plastics. Also almost all companies worldwide are short-staffed, so they don’t have the labour available for either manufacturing or delivery.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Your assumption that plastic isn’t in short supply is based on zero evidence.
In fact, the resins used to make plastics have been in short supply for months. There have been multiple news reports on it, and I’ve heard it from multiple contractors in plumbing and irrigation. The cost of PVC is up substantially.

Sadly, lots of people posting here spout opinions with no facts to support their claims.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

I watched their demo dance video on Oculus VR and I can confidently say that Canon just made history in the world of VR. 30yrs from now (or could be even before that), this will be known as one of legendary lens, along with R5 for its 8k. People simply haven't realized it yet, wait until Oculus Quest series became a mainstream personal entertainment & productivity gadget, when more and more content for VR are created, 8K and this lens will be the initial dominator in the market. The quality is that good! A complete system in a tiny form factor with quick & hassle free processing.

Is there a higher quality version available to download somewhere? Looks like trash on my quest 2 with I'm guessing youtubes terrible compression.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Is there a higher quality version available to download somewhere? Looks like trash on my quest 2 with I'm guessing youtubes terrible compression.
Canon uploaded it in 8k to youtube, you could use something like youtube-dl to download the 8k version and use your regular VR video player to play it.

Upvote 0