Industry News: Sony officially announces the A7 IV and new flashes

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
San Diego, CA – October 21, 2021 – Sony Electronics Inc. today announced three new additions to its imaging line-up: the Alpha 7 IV interchangeable-lens camera (model ILCE-7M4) with a newly developed 33-megapixel (approx.,effective) full-frame image sensor, as well as two new flashes – the HVL-F60RM2 and HVL-F46RM.
The Alpha 7 IV takes “basic” to the next level for full-frame cameras with excellent image quality and performance, redefining the lofty standards set by the acclaimed Alpha 7 III. The new model features many of Sony’s most advanced imaging technologies, including the latest BIONZ XR™ processing engine and advanced AF (autofocus) capabilities from the flagship Alpha 1 combined with streamlined operability and enhanced reliability for photos and movies, making it the perfect all-around camera for today’s imaging enthusiasts and professionals. The Alpha 7 IV also boasts a 33MP (approx., effective) image resolution, rich movie expression and various features to...

Continue reading...

Traveler

EOS R6
Oct 6, 2019
This is the first Sony camera that I’d be able to use. And it seems even better than the R6 for that price. They brought even the cloud service that I love on Canon, got rid of the stupid exposure compensation dial etc. I know the R6 can shoot 12/20fps and has higher resolution LCD but on the other hand its 30 MPix, has faster card, better customization etc. I think Canon would need to do at least an FW update to the R6 to catch up with the customization…

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0
Slow sensor readout kind of kills it for me, 4x slower than the R6.
Seeing as I probably wouldn't shoot electronic shutter much and don't care about video, that doesn't matter to me. I wish Canon had a 30 MP camera for that price. I don't need the 45 MP of the R5. The R6, while a nice camera seems like a step backwards, but I will probably give in and buy an R6 anyway for the stabilization and focusing as finally make the plunge to step up from 5D IV's.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Seeing as I probably wouldn't shoot electronic shutter much and don't care about video, that doesn't matter to me. I wish Canon had a 30 MP camera for that price. I don't need the 45 MP of the R5. The R6, while a nice camera seems like a step backwards, but I will probably give in and buy an R6 anyway for the stabilization and focusing as finally make the plunge to step up from 5D IV's.
Canon have the R, which has an excellent 30MP sensor and is a lot cheaper. It can’t match the Sony in terms of burst speed or dynamic range, and it doesn’t have IBIS or twin card slots, but it’s a great camera to use. Canon have said that they won’t bring out a MKii version. Instead, I think they’ll bring out a pro-grade APS-C body with 30MP+ in RF within a few months.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hard choice... R6 or IV?!
:(...
I suppose, but really only for those who aren't invested in either mirrorless system or those like me who are invested in both. Currently since I have the A7III, A7RIV, and Canon R5 my upgrade path is R6 or A7IV as the A7III is missing a few things I would like it to have.
Most likely I will end up with the A7IV as the higher resolution sensor is something that I like and the electronic shutter is basically useless on either one for action shots. Need to go up to the stacked sensor before I would end up using the electronic shutter at the high frame rate and the R3 and A1 are out of my price range at the moment.
The video features on either are good enough on either for what I do but I currently do more video on Sony so this would be a good upgrade for the camera I use as a backup for stills and more often for video.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Curious why a Canon site would report on Sony cameras. Is there not a Sony rumors site that already does this?
I'm curious as to why anyone would take the time to write such a thing. You didn't need to read the press release, you didn't need to watch the video, you didn't need to enter the forum discussion. Yet here you are.

• Haha
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0