Adobe adds support for the Canon EOS R3 and more

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Unfortunately, DxO takes a while to provide support for new cameras, but IMO worth the wait. Maybe I'll use ACR instead of DPP for the first few weeks after my R3 arrives.
Was there a DPP update announced to support the R3? In that case, I missed it.

Looking forward to seeing the manual released as well.

Edit: well at least the support page is alive now, although with little or no content:

Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
R5/R6 camera profiles?
I won't speak for the R6, but Lightroom does now have camera matching profiles for the R5. I haven't had much time to compare, but a quick look seems they are close to the Color Fidelity v5 profiles - in other words way better than previous Adobe color profiles.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
R5/R6 camera profiles?

Oh yes. For R3, R5, R6 and 1DXIII:

Camera matching Color Profiles added for Canon Picture Styles
In the October 2021 release of Adobe Lightroom and Camera Raw, support is added for camera matching Color Profiles for Canon Picture Styles when you select Profile > Browse.
This release supports the following cameras that support the Canon CR3 raw format, with more models planned for future releases:
  • Canon EOS R3
  • Canon EOS R5
  • Canon EOS R6
  • Canon EOS-1D X Mark III

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I won't speak for the R6, but Lightroom does now have camera matching profiles for the R5. I haven't had much time to compare, but a quick look seems they are close to the Color Fidelity v5 profiles - in other words way better than previous Adobe color profiles.
Same here, a quick comparison shows that skin tones are a lot closer to DPP4 or CF v5.

Upvote 0
Finally! This is such good news and very relieving. I was so frustrated with this that I hated editing the images from the R5 and R6 with lightroom, especially for low light images were all the colors, noise and details were totally off. I could not get the "look" I wanted with the built in crappy profiles. The Color Fidelity were OK for nicely lit images for images shot between ISO 100-400, but nowhere near OG profiles pre EOS R era and fell apart quickly after ISO 800, not to mention the WB matrix being very janky as well. I hope these are addressed as well. Cannot wait to finally be able enjoy RAW editing again.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Just looked in to that. DPP still seems to be doing a much better job with noise, at least with the standard profile...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just looked in to that. DPP still seems to be doing a much better job with noise, at least with the standard profile...
With Adobe I set sharpening to 0 to improve the noise. Helps quite a lot… default settings are very oversharp anyway… still not as smooth looking as DPP.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
In the past I had done most work in LR and used DxO PL4 for a small subset of photos with the D series. Photoshop is overkill for the level of post processing that I want to do.

I moved to DxO PL4 for all post processing due to the lack of camera matching color profiles for the R6 in LR. I'm too lazy to create my own profiles or try to make others work. I've been quite pleased with the results. My workflow seems simpler in DxO and I am very pleased with the results from Prime and DeepPrime NR.

I'm glad to see the profiles back in LR for the R series, but that may not be enough to bring me back for new work. I've been considering dropping Adobe all together, but I may keep it for convenience. I have thousands of my scanned film and digital images cataloged from the last 50 years, and hundreds of scanned film and print images from the prior 50 years.

Upvote 0