The global chip shortage forces Canon to remove toner copy protection

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has been forced to remove copy protection chips to their toner cartridges in some regions. It’s obviously more important that customers can print, than the copy protection for Canon’s benefit.
Canon.de support has said that cartridges for a lot of ImageRunner series multi-function printers will be affected. For now, only toner cartridges are affected and ink-based cartridges will continue to have the chip.
Customer experience will be affected by this decision, as the Canon driver software will give users a warning about not using “genuine Canon toner”. There is a workaround if you’re affected by this issue.
Depending on the model of MFP that you have, you will be required to click, I agree, close, or press OK in the right spots to bypass the warning.
Image Credit: Canon // Via Tom’s...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 7, 2018
I still remember ink cartridges that were half full, but stopped working because the chip had calculated that they must be empty. The only reason for thise chips is to hinder competition and make it harder to refill a cartridge. The customer never had any benefit from them. If Canon really wanted to know how much ink is left, there would be many better ways do to that than "counting" the drops that went out of the cartridge.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Oct 3, 2015
I still remember ink cartridges that were half full, but stopped working because the chip had calculated that they must be empty. The only reason for thise chips is to hinder competition and make it harder to refill a cartridge. The customer never had any benefit from them. If Canon really wanted to know how much ink is left, there would be many better ways do to that than "counting" the drops that went out of the cartridge.
totally agree these are not for the customers benefit and in printer world in general Canon have caught a fair amount of flak over the chips, sketchy firmware behaviour, waste ink pad issues and many other things oft considered anti consumer for some time. Not that they're the only company doing it, and I get they're a business and whatever gives them an edge but still sad it went this way. There was earlier optical based ink level designs that iirc worked well enough, forget who used it (possibly even Canon) but remember the comments on print forum decade or more back when was switched to these newer types due to level issues from seemingly inferior [for consumers] design.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
When you do not get toner level info from the cartridges, its a pain. I use 3rd party toners in my Canon MF743 series laser printer. Images start to look slightly off when one color runs out. Since I have no idea as to how much toner is remaining in the other colors, I just replace all the cartridges which wastes far more toner than having a level gage that is 10 or 15% off.

Upvote 0