Is the Canon EOS R7 the next camera to be announced? [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
A source with a pretty solid record has chimed in about coming Canon EOS R cameras based on my report last week about 3 new RF mount cameras (Not including Cinema EOS) that the Canon EOS R7 is likely the next camera to be announced.
The announcement I have been told could come as early as March of this year.
No specifications or other details are currently known, but I’m hoping more will come in the next little while.
Please remember announcement dates for products can be affected by the current manufacturing challenges.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Reactions: 2 users

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Honestly, the only real crop-dedicated lens a R7 needs is something like a APS-C RF-S 15-50mm F/2.8. Anything longer and you might as well just get the RF 100-400 or RF 600, both of which really don't cost all that much to begin with.

Would be nice to see Canon release a 200-600 or 200-500 sorta lens for $1500, though. That would be a great middleground between the RF 600/800, 100-400, and 100-500.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Honestly, the only real crop-dedicated lens a R7 needs is something like a APS-C RF-S 15-50mm F/2.8.[..]
If Canon does a non-L zoom with that range I doubt we'll get a constant aperture. The EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 always seemed to be out of character for Canon to me, like the EF-M 32mm f/1.4. Maybe that's how Canon keeps us guessing, by releasing a solid L-like non-L lens that doesn't work on the high end bodies.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2015
I have effectively moved from 5D4 to 90D (still keeping 5d for special occasions). Various reasons, but R7 is the only mirrorless camera I'm looking at the moment.

In order for me to "jump" to RF several things needs to be addressed.

- Better battery life
- Better prices overall for RF lenses (RF 50mm f1.8 is almost twice as expensive in my country than regular EF 50mm f1.8 STM)
- Sub 2000 eur camera price, in-line with 7D/MK2 at their announcement dates.

Until then, I'm more than happy to stay where I am. For less than 1700 euros I have bought Canon 90D, 18-135 nano, 24mm 2.8 stm pancake, 10-18mm f4.5 stm lenses. All new, left the factory plant in November 2021! And all stellar performers, nailing the focus even in high-changing situations like birding at 135mm. Or ideal lifestyle documentary lens of EFS 24mm. With a battery life of 1300-1800 shots Cipa, I forget when I charge it. If I need a quick live view, there's a swivel touch screen with face and eye detection that is focusing brilliantly and intelligently throughout the frame.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon no invirtio en lentes aspc Ef-S ni en los Ef-m asi que esta vez tampoco será diferente
No necesariamente. Creo que es bastante probable que lancen un pancake gran angular y un kit de zoom especialmente para el "R7". Eso es todo lo que realmente necesitan, ya que los teleobjetivos EF y RF existentes, como 100-400 mm y 100-500 mm, se combinan perfectamente con una cámara APS-C.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I bet (it's free :)) it will be the hybrid APS-C. That way it would follow the tradition (5D -> R5, 6D -> R6, 7D -> R7)...

In addition, the (I assume fake) photo at CanonRumors shows a crop sensor ;)

BTW... what are the chances of an hybrid (EVF+OVF) R1?
Yes I think we can take it for granted that all future R series cameras will be video-stills hybrids. Some will prioritise stills, others will prioritise video, but both will be on all models.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Honestly, the only real crop-dedicated lens a R7 needs is something like a APS-C RF-S 15-50mm F/2.8. Anything longer and you might as well just get the RF 100-400 or RF 600, both of which really don't cost all that much to begin with.

Would be nice to see Canon release a 200-600 or 200-500 sorta lens for $1500, though. That would be a great middleground between the RF 600/800, 100-400, and 100-500.
That might be true if the owner also owns a FF body. Otherwise, the R7 also would need a wide zoom, perhaps a 10-20 f/4 and a fast and small 30mm prime.

If Canon makes an R7, might they also introduce an M7 that is 90-95% common with the R7?

Upvote 0
In order for me to "jump" to RF several things needs to be addressed.

- Better battery life
- Better prices overall for RF lenses (RF 50mm f1.8 is almost twice as expensive in my country than regular EF 50mm f1.8 STM)
- Sub 2000 eur camera price, in-line with 7D/MK2 at their announcement dates.

you'll be waiting a long time then. the battery life on MLCs is generally worse than their DSLR cousins, the prices of RF glass is generally more than EF equivalents and the RF cameras have also been priced higher than their DSLR equivalents.

All that said, I wouldn't give up my R5 :D Its been a fantastic improvement over the 5D IV.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Fingers crossed that this will be a pro-grade sports/wildlife orientated camera, although the hints that it is a cross between an M50 and a 7DMkii could indicate otherwise.

If it's pro-grade, with bird-eye AF, fast burst speeds, an R6-based bodyshell, and a decent sensor with 28MP or more, it would make a great companion to my R5.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2015
you'll be waiting a long time then. the battery life on MLCs is generally worse than their DSLR cousins, the prices of RF glass is generally more than EF equivalents and the RF cameras have also been priced higher than their DSLR equivalents.

All that said, I wouldn't give up my R5 :D Its been a fantastic improvement over the 5D IV.

No probs then, though I do think the prices will go down eventually. Esp. with cropped sensors. I was always a massive fan of 7D cameras so will get my eyes on R7 specs at least.

I'm nowhere in a hurry, I can get everything done with 90d and 5d4, both professionally and for a hobby. I made a vow with myself never to spend over 2k for a camera anymore. The images I'm most fond of and the most money I made (per-image ratio) was with original 7D. And I'm not even doing sports, but lifestyle and portraits.

Last edited:
Upvote 0