New reports about the next Cinema EOS camera have surfaced [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Rumors of the next Canon Cinema EOS camera have started to hit the inboxes of like sites. This one I haven’t heard anything about previously, so please treat it accordingly.
The name for the camera is suggested to be the EOS C5, which would be a new line of Cinema EOS cameras from Canon.
Below are the rumored specifications from Canon Watch

The camera is a combination of the EOS R5 C and EOS C300 III, similar in appearance to the EOS R5 C, but more square, with the electric ND filter of the EOS C300 III, the professional interface of the EOS C70, and an extended battery compartment.
Its XF-AVC recording format is the same as the 

[url=https://www.canonrumors.com/new-reports-about-the-next-cinema-eos-camera-have-surfaced-cr1/]Continue reading...

This one feels weird to me. To me, the specs read like something left on the table during R&D for the R5C. It's too similar and not different enough enough from anything in the lineup imo.

Not that everything about it doesn't excite me. I just more agree with CanonGrunt that it feels like disgruntled wishful thinking. I was hoping for DGO and internal NDs in that camera, too.

That said, this camera could easily cost upwards of $8-10K, so... that would be one notable difference. Lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
If the rumor is true then this camera will be positioned not as a hybrid but as a true Cinema EOS camera.
Square body which means more conventional video controls layout, no mechanical shutter, built-in ND and expandable battery compartment.
IMHO such a camera makes sense, and I do not see any confision in such a lineup:
R5 - stills camera which is also great for occasional short video clips;
R5C - hybrid 2-in-1 with well known limitations;
C5 - real Cinema EOS camera.

Upvote 0

mxwphoto

R6 and be there
Jun 20, 2013
Internal ND for RF mount is overrated. If you want ND just get an EF-RF adapter with drop in filter and voila, problem solved for a few hundred bucks. Get a PL-EF adapter and you essentially have 'internal ND' compatibility with a vast majority of cine lenses since 1980s. Canon really did us a favor releasing the drop in filter adapter and I am suprised Nikon did not follow suit.

On the whole I agree with the C5 naming scheme being messed up. I would believe it if it was a rumor of C500 variant though, but pricing would likely be $18-20k with that BSI FF DGO sensor in tow.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
Internal ND for RF mount is overrated. If you want ND just get an EF-RF adapter with drop in filter and voila, problem solved for a few hundred bucks. Get a PL-EF adapter and you essentially have 'internal ND' compatibility with a vast majority of cine lenses since 1980s. Canon really did us a favor releasing the drop in filter adapter and I am suprised Nikon did not follow suit.
This would obviously do not work with RF lenses.

Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
"electric ND filter " this is possible?! Why we don't have this in the R line yet....
Not sure what they meant, probably lost in translation. EOS C300 III has mechanical ND filter assembly, and there is no way to fit it even into the slightly thicker R5 body because of shorter flange distance of RF compared to EF. RF would need a different construction.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia

On the whole I agree with the C5 naming scheme being messed up. I would believe it if it was a rumor of C500 variant though, but pricing would likely be $18-20k with that BSI FF DGO sensor in tow.
Built in is far from overrated. You can use any glass with filters with a touch of a button. The rf15-35 on a c70 is amazing and compact. Also for gimbal work the filters make the cameras more front heavy so it is less work balancing as well in real world usage. If you are a set with a ton of time or a team than maybe wasting time is more acceptable...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
"electric ND filter " this is possible?! Why we don't have this in the R line yet....
I really like what Sony is doing but a proper cinema camera needs fixed ND filters to properly calculate T-stops.
That being said, I would love for Canon to make an electronic variable ND EF lens to RF mount adapter that the camera could control with autoexposure.

Upvote 0

MythPlayer

EOS R6 Mark Ⅱ
Sep 7, 2021
could it be this canon camera patent that surfaced in 2020?
This image is more like this one :ROFLMAO:

canon_xc15_f003.jpg
:)

Upvote 0