Canon confirms discontinuation of EF and EF-S lenses

In a report from PetaPixel, more information about the discontinuing of Canon EF and EF-S lenses has become apparent.  While here at CanonRumors we’ve already labeled most of these lenses as discontinued.  But, investigating this more and it’s painfully noticeable that slews of EF and EF-S lenses are now officially on a discontinued page for Canon Japan.

As CanonNews mentions; 
Currently, Canon Japan has 27 EF lenses, 6 EF-S lenses, and 7 EOS-M lenses available.  Everything else is on a page called “生産終了した商品情報” which machine translates into “Discontinued Product Information”.
Before when I at least looked at this, Canon was tagging these lenses as “not available” or “back ordered”, however, now, there’s no doubt that...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
If 6 EF-S lenses are still in production, that might indicate the Canon still intends to release (or at least, continue manufacturing) APS-C DSLRs. Even the lowest priced new RF model will likely be at least twice the cost of a budget crop DSLR.

It's no surprise to me that M lenses continue to be produced, as the cameras sell extremely well, especially in Asia.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
In the old days, Canon started to introduce the EOS line and changed the mount from FD to EF, while making the change they stopped making FD glass. But unlike these days, it was not possible to convert FD glass to EF while today it is easy without loosing image quality.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
View attachment 202476

Guys... c'mon... seriously?
Yes, seriously. But then, many on this forum seem to think EF-S and EF-M are dead. Probably they also think that very small rocks float.

Have a look at the top 6 best-selling ILCs in Japan last month:

AE144AF7-90F0-4E36-A690-FB6E46EEC07B.jpeg
55514D77-C015-4556-9979-0128DACAF3DD.jpeg

Two M-series MILCs on top, and three APS-C DSLRs close behind, four of the five kitted with two EF-M or EF-S lenses.

But hey, probably just a flesh wound. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
sooooo i guess ill ask. which lenses are still in production?
The 9 EF primes still in production are:

24mm F1.4L ii
35mm F1.4L ii
50mm F1.2L
50mm F1.4
50mm F1.8
85mm F1.4L
85mm F1.8
400mm F2.8L iii
600mm F4L iii

I haven't seen any mention of zooms being discontinued.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

josephandrews222

Square Sensors + AI = Better Images
Jul 12, 2013
Midwest United States
1. It is meaningful, I think, that EF-M lenses are still in production

2. It seems to me, when I read the 'EF-M bodies are dead' comments on this forum, that many of those who hold those opinions WANT the EF-M format buried. I do not understand that logic...at all...unless (leading to #3)

3. ...unless they have never used the M6MkII--which is a marvelous camera. In fact, may I supply the following thought: Most of the EF-M naysayers have never owned any EF-M camera...and probably never will. That's OK with me...and my entire family, including two daughters who have become quite skilled with their M's

4. Even with Canon introducing a cropped-sensor body that accepts RF lenses, there is still a place for updates to the best-selling M's

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
There will always be people who delight in predicting doom. Most of the time they get it wrong.
The M5 was a delight to use, the only small body camera I could use, as a large handed person with proper ergonomics. The wishes and demand for a Mkll is somewhat akin (but in a much smaller way) to the sentiment for a 7D mirrorless.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
The 9 EF primes still in production are:

24mm F1.4L ii
35mm F1.4L ii
50mm F1.2L
50mm F1.4
50mm F1.8
85mm F1.4L
85mm F1.8
400mm F2.8L iii
600mm F4L iii
Canon no longer manufactures the TS-E lenses, though some are new (5yo), and only two are even rumored to be replaced?

I can see Canon reusing the optical formula with new body & electronics, but I'd expect a rumor saying Canon is going to release the whole bunch in TS-R.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon no longer manufactures the TS-E lenses, though some are new (5yo), and only two are even rumored to be replaced?

I can see Canon reusing the optical formula with new body & electronics, but I'd expect a rumor saying Canon is going to release the whole bunch in TS-R.
I use the extremely sharp TS-E 24mm ii on my R5. There are loads of them in pristine condition available secondhand (in the UK) because a lot of people buy them new but then find that they hardly ever use them. The old TS-E lenses are manual focus of course, but shooting architecture or landscapes is rarely a hurried affair, so I don't miss the AF, and I wouldn't be prepared to pay the high cost of RF versions with AF.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

They still have the TS-E17, 24, 50, 90 and 135mm in production.

it's the older ones that were discontinued.

Upvote 0

Maps

EOS M7 (please)
Jan 10, 2021
1. It is meaningful, I think, that EF-M lenses are still in production

2. It seems to me, when I read the 'EF-M bodies are dead' comments on this forum, that many of those who hold those opinions WANT the EF-M format buried. I do not understand that logic...at all...unless (leading to #3)

3. ...unless they have never used the M6MkII--which is a marvelous camera. In fact, may I supply the following thought: Most of the EF-M naysayers have never owned any EF-M camera...and probably never will. That's OK with me...and my entire family, including two daughters who have become quite skilled with their M's

4. Even with Canon introducing a cropped-sensor body that accepts RF lenses, there is still a place for updates to the best-selling M's

For what it's worth I have the original M50 and a handful of M mount lenses and I think they're brilliant in the right situation. Fantastic value for money. But that doesn't change my opinion that Canon gave up on the M mount 3 years ago. Sales volume and profit are two totally different things unfortunately. I'd love to see them bring the M mount back, but how anyone can be holding out hope at this point is beyond me.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth I have the original M50 and a handful of M mount lenses and I think they're brilliant in the right situation. Fantastic value for money. But that doesn't change my opinion that Canon gave up on the M mount 3 years ago. Sales volume and profit are two totally different things unfortunately. I'd love to see them bring the M mount back, but how anyone can be holding out hope at this point is beyond me.
hope for what though? it's never going to be like a fuji mount where they create professional grade lenses for it. it's a mirrorless rebel system.

While I would love a 15-50mm F2.8 for it, maybe one day Sigma will put the EOS-M mount on theirs.

While sales and profit are driving factors, so is marketshare and Canon cares a lot about that.

Your post makes it sound like they have discontinued it - they haven't.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
If 6 EF-S lenses are still in production, that might indicate the Canon still intends to release (or at least, continue manufacturing) APS-C DSLRs. Even the lowest priced new RF model will likely be at least twice the cost of a budget crop DSLR.

It's no surprise to me that M lenses continue to be produced, as the cameras sell extremely well, especially in Asia.
Not only in asia, bought an M50 when it came to market. Bought two M50 ii to have a RAIC - a redundant array of inexpensive cameras. I live in Europe.
With a bunch of EF(-S) lenses and the phenomenal EF-M 32 they deliver if you are fine with 24 MPix and FullHD. And the sparse number of buttons :)

Upvote 0