Industry News: OM System launches the OM-1

Today the OM System launched a new OM-1 and several lenses.
Olympus was my first ever camera system back in the film days, so I still have a soft spot for them.  With the OM-1 camera body, OM has also launched two new professional category lenses, the ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO II and the 40-150mm F4 PRO.
OM System’s Press Release is below.

Introducing the OM SYSTEM OM-1 Interchangeable Lens Camera with a New Stacked BSI Live MOS Sensor and Cross Quad Pixel AF

The New OM SYSTEM Flagship Model Revolutionizes Emerging Technology and Newly Developed Devices
Bethlehem, PA, February 15, 2022 – OM Digital Solutions is pleased to announce the introduction of the OM SYSTEM OM-1: This Micro Four Thirds System standard interchangeable lens camera features a compact, lightweight design for superior mobility along with high image quality. It is scheduled to go on sale in early March 2022. As the OM SYSTEM flagship camera, this model will deliver a one-of-a-kind experience to...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The light and compact lenses are what makes M43 attractive, together with the legendary Olympus weather sealing (I know someone who dropped a EM Mkii in a river - we fished it out, dried it in the sun, and it's still working fine 3 years later!).

What lets M43 cameras down for many, is the low MP count, which is a negative factor if you need to crop heavily, as most wildlife photographers do. When shooting BIF in particular, filling the frame with a bird, and keeping it from wandering beyond the frame edge, calls for a great deal of skill and experience. A higher MP sensor allows a safety margin that just doesn't exist with 20MP.

The OM1 is also let down by the small buffer. Imagine having to wait 15 seconds for the buffer to clear, before you can shoot the next burst. So as a sports or wildlife camera I feel this is a complete failure. And for most other purposes, a FF camera will be better.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
The light and compact lenses are what makes M43 attractive, together with the legendary Olympus weather sealing (I know someone who dropped a EM Mkii in a river - we fished it out, dried it in the sun, and it's still working fine 3 years later!).

What lets M43 cameras down for many, is the low MP count, which is a negative factor if you need to crop heavily, as most wildlife photographers do. When shooting BIF in particular, filling the frame with a bird, and keeping it from wandering beyond the frame edge, calls for a great deal of skill and experience. A higher MP sensor allows a safety margin that just doesn't exist with 20MP.

The OM1 is also let down by the small buffer. Imagine having to wait 15 seconds for the buffer to clear, before you can shoot the next burst. So as a sports or wildlife camera I feel this is a complete failure. And for most other purposes, a FF camera will be better.
There are some really good improvements to new Camera and a sign that new owner of OM brand is quite interested in actually selling cameras to photographers(JiP has notorious reputation in laptop sector). New menu system is really great and lets wait for final production units to see how the new sensor compares and performs to older ones.

Edit: Checked B&H turns out along with new battery OM System has released a new charger to charge dual batteries(though quite expensive). I know Fuji sells similar dual battery charger for their own batteries and I hope Canon also comes out with a 1st party Dual battery chargers soon.
Link for new charger https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._blx_1_lithium_ion_battery_charger.html/specs

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
There are some really good improvements to new Camera and a sign that new owner of OM brand is quite interested in actually selling cameras to photographers(JiP has notorious reputation in laptop sector). New menu system is really great and lets wait for final production units to see how the new sensor compares and performs to older ones.

Edit: Checked B&H turns out along with new battery OM System has released a new charger to charge dual batteries(though quite expensive). I know Fuji sells similar dual battery charger for their own batteries and I hope Canon also comes out with a 1st party Dual battery chargers soon.
Link for new charger https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._blx_1_lithium_ion_battery_charger.html/specs
Yes I agree. I struggled to comprehend Olympus past menus system which had indecipherable terminology, ambiguous icons on a horrible grid-style interface, and low resolution. So I very much welcome the improvements. With the OM1 on paper almost everything has been improved, including the ergonomics, and the camera can match most FF cameras on specification, and has the added bonus of Pro-capture (a feature that *all* cameras should have) and in-camera merging for focus-stacking and HDR.

I also absolutely appreciate the weight-saving and greater portability of M43, which would allow me to pack a complete M43 system in a flight case, and to carry a wider range of lenses in the field - so I've been tempted by M43 in the past. Many of the reasons that have prevented me from using M43 in the past have been answered with the OM1, but the meagre buffer and low MP count are total deal-breakers for me.

When I read about the "wow camera" stories, I hoped that the OM1 would have a global sensor, as this, combined with a really powerful processor, would enable near-instantaneous in-camera multi-shot merging, with massive benefits for hand-held pixel-shift with moving subjects, focus-bracketing, HDR and noise-reduction. I still believe that smaller formats such as M43 are the future, I'd much prefer a compact system to my existing FF, but OM have not yet come close to realising the full potential of the small format.

I wish the new company well though, and look forward to seeing their future offerings.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

I do prefer high Mpx FF sensors myself for BIF. But, the 20 Mpx Nikon D500 is reckoned by serious extreme BIFers to be the best DSLR for birds in flight, and I can testify to how good it is. And the 20 Mpx 1DX and Nikon D series are no slouches. The R6 is good too.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
A future R7 say with a version of 90D's 32.5Mp sensor would give a SQRT(32.5/17.5) = 1.36X advantage over R5 with the same lenses. 17.5Mpixels correspond to the 1.6 crop mode of R5.

Of course this is more suitable for static birds and not BIF.

Same Olympus equivalence is 2X (crop factor) so talking about heavy crops has no meaning in birding. With the same lens focal length we have to crop more using Canon rather than Olympus. The criteria is Pixels per ... Duck :D

IQ due to pixel size is a totally different matter of course.

Upvote 0
Doesn't Canon have the patents for DP AF and QD AF?
Canon's implementation is different that what Olympus is using with this sensor from Sony. Canon is able to capture both the DP and image data at the same time while Olympus needs to read 2 frames alternating between the 80mb QP PD data and the 20mp. Due to the very fast readout from the stacked Sony Sensor the OM-1 still has a very faster readout for the 20mp images.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
"Canon's implementation is different that what Olympus is using with this sensor from Sony. Canon is able to capture both the DP and image data at the same time while Olympus needs to read 2 frames alternating between the 80mb QP PD data and the 20mp."

And where did you get an idea that Sony Semi sensor needs to alternate anything and Canon does not ? from raw files ? that is what firmware writes... Olympus simply does not write anything by binned data in the raw files... Canon R3 does not have raws with DP-data either... does it mean that it alternates 48mp DP PD and 24MP ?

Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
"Doesn't Canon have the patents for DP AF and QD AF?" - both things are used in cell phone sensors for a while... does Canon make sensors for cell phone cameras ?
for example = https://www.androidauthority.com/all-pixel-phase-detect-autofocus-1065470/

and somewhat related

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I wish Olympus luck. I enjoyed their EM1-II and their 300mm f4 lens (FF EQ 600 f8) was really amazing for close focus, extreme sharpness and ease of use.

I wonder what the OM-1 and their 150-400mm f4.5 1.25xTC lens would do as far as image quality? It would certainly cover the FF 300-1000mm range (f9-~11) with close focus ability without swapping lenses.

Upvote 0