R5C’s Hybrid Interfaces a Feature, Not a Hack

One R5C element that got some attention among reviewers was the fact that it appears to have two independent operating systems available, depending on whether you’re using the camera to shoot video or stills. Most reviewers found this a bit janky, as it requires a reboot to switch over.  DPReview’s video-focused reviewer Dale Baskin disagrees in an interesting way.
Baskin notes that in the past cameras moving toward hybrid functionality would add video- or stills-related features in an add-on menu. Being a video guy, he finds himself frustrated with interfaces that throw video features into a submenu.
It is true that most R5C buyers are less likely to be amateurs – who would find the R5 perfectly suitable – and are more likely to be applying the body against actual professional work. Those people...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 2 users

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Makes a lot more sense to me to have different menus and EVF interfaces optimised for each purpose.

Most people will be primarily video shooters and will appreciate the new GUI, but they'll also already be completely familiar with the stills GUI from previous Canon cameras.

The only issue I can see is for people who need to switch rapidly between stills and video. The time taken to reboot will be a problem for wedding photographers etc, but can probably be shortened considerably by turning off the sensor-cleaning option at startup and shutdown.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

JP Davis

EOS R5, EOS R
Jul 19, 2019
As I find myself split almost 50/50 photo/video these days, think this will be the perfect 2nd body for me. Currently I have an R5 and R for backup, looking to replace the R with the R5c. For photo my primary will be the R5, and vice versa for video. Will be very nice to have matching resolution, video quality and color profiles. For my purposes I couldn't imagine a better combo.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I think the dual boot feature is epic. Really happy Canon chose this way to do it.

I shoot both photo and video, but never within the same job. It's always a photo or video job. Currently I have two R5s for photography, and a C70 for video, so the R5C slots perfectly in the middle for me. The menu system and functionality can just match whatever other camera i'm shooting with. If i'm on a video job, i'll have a video menu system that matches my C70. For a stills job, i'll have a menu system that matches my R5.

I always hate shooting video with the stills-based menu you get on the R5. The menu system for the C70 is WAY better for video, i'm super happy that Canon have this split menu system, it's absolutely perfect for the way I shoot.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is how computers generally work, dual boot different OS's. The other option is a virtual machine. That is mainly done when they OS you want to run doesn't natively support the hardware you're trying to run it on. But since both these OS's support the hardware, there's no point in that. Thus dual boot is a good solution. Does that mean it is the perfect solution? I don't know. I'm not an expert and you'd probably get divided opinions on that. For Canon's sake they're probably better off going the hybrid route at some point to save money. Merge the two OS's together as best you can and call it a day. Then you have 1 development pipeline and 1 development team. It makes sense but I don't understand the product well enough to know if that would work really well. I would assume that if that happened then essentially every Canon camera going forward would have cinema video built in, so it may not be what Canon wants to do. *shrug*

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
As I find myself split almost 50/50 photo/video these days, think this will be the perfect 2nd body for me. Currently I have an R5 and R for backup, looking to replace the R with the R5c. For photo my primary will be the R5, and vice versa for video. Will be very nice to have matching resolution, video quality and color profiles. For my purposes I couldn't imagine a better combo.
This is exactly the situation I am in. I almost got an R3 but am glad I waited as the EOS Cinema firmware is far more useful to me than the better sensor. I sold my R and pre-ordered the R5C to use as an A cam for my video work and as a B cam for my photo work. Really looking forward to the cinema firmware and to not needing to attach a Ninja V. A plus is that it works with the same battery grip as the R5; however I am really intrigued by the video functions that come with the WFT-R10A. I have always wanted the ability to put the camera on a gimbal and have a second operator adjust the exposure and autofocus points wirelessly and it looks from the R5C promo video like this is the answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Baskin's review is actually really interesting reading. Very different to the 'initial impressions' reviews (including DPR) that coudn't get past the fact the IBIS was left out (and internal NDs not included). He comes to the conclusion that it is probably the first genuine hybrid - not 100% perfect either for video or stills, but very usable at a high/professional standard for both, in a way that previous cameras haven't been.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
I have no problem with it but for event shooters that need to switch back and forth its no good unless there is a fast record mode. Is there one. the battery life situation and reboot made me hold off. I already have a c70 and r3.
Guess it's not a device for an event shooter that carries a single camera, else carry a second dedicated still camera. Most professionals rarely carry a single samera.

Upvote 0
This is exactly the situation I am in. I almost got an R3 but am glad I waited as the EOS Cinema firmware is far more useful to me than the better sensor. I sold my R and pre-ordered the R5C to use as an A cam for my video work and as a B cam for my photo work. Really looking forward to the cinema firmware and to not needing to attach a Ninja V. A plus is that it works with the same battery grip as the R5; however I am really intrigued by the video functions that come with the WFT-R10A. I have always wanted the ability to put the camera on a gimbal and have a second operator adjust the exposure and autofocus points wirelessly and it looks from the R5C promo video like this is the answer.
I think that the R3 is a better tool in video than the R5C: IBIS, better AF, better in low light situation, and better dynamic range in RAW…just got the R3 instead of the R5C because yes the cinema firmware is cool but I chose the image quality and the most essential options (in my opinion), and I chose it instead of the c70 for the photo.

Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
I think that the R3 is a better tool in video than the R5C: IBIS, better AF, better in low light situation, and better dynamic range in RAW…just got the R3 instead of the R5C because yes the cinema firmware is cool but I chose the image quality and the most essential options (in my opinion), and I chose it instead of the c70 for the photo.
I agree that based on the tests I’ve seen the quality of the R3 is great. I actually preordered one but cancelled it after the announcement of the R5C. For my use case, more important than the better low light/dynamic range of the R3 is RAW in full frame and S35, Face Only AF (99% of my work is people), size for gimbal use, the exposure tools, and the better custom white balance adjustment. On the photo side, I need the higher pixel count for the print work that I do. The 24 MP of the R3 would have been cutting it close, but the unlimited video recording time would have made up for it. However, in the R5C I get the best of both worlds, and I am saving over $2,000 in the process. And if I need IBIS for some reason I’ll still have the R5.

I appreciate that Canon now has so many options based on the needs of the shooter (R6, R5, R5C, C70, R3, C300iii, etc…). What’s great is that we can all find a really powerful tool for our individual needs.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Actually I only remember to see positive
Most reviewers found this a bit janky, as it requires a reboot to switch over

Actually I only remember seeing positive receptions of the camera when it comes to articles (features, preview/review,..). I don't watch "youtubers" if that is where people are seeing negative stuff?

Comments is another story... Of course the "dual-boot" concept will not work for everybody, but as always when somebody does something new there's lot of negative comments if it is not exactly the camera people was waiting for (or in some cases probably mostly because it is the "wrong" brand)...

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I have no problem with it but for event shooters that need to switch back and forth its no good unless there is a fast record mode. Is there one. the battery life situation and reboot made me hold off. I already have a c70 and r3.
As a former event shooter, I find this idea somewhat laughable. Taking photos while shooting video in most instances results in a pause in the video, and that's a big no for me.
Hire a photographer to take photographs while you take videos. If you can't do that, than this camera isn't for you. It's a camera aimed specifically at the video crowd while maintaining the photo-centric features of the R5.

When it was first announced and people were complaining, it just reminded me how no matter what camera you put out, there will always be voices who will never purchase or could even afford the camera, complaining about what it does or doesn't have.
Except the Sony crowd. Like the Macbook crowd, they will take a punch to the face before they admit there's an issue.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
The R3 has a better sensor for sure and it is definitely better in lowlight. But I shot all day with the R5’s IBIS on and there is no way I’ll ever use that again in video. The jello effect is much too strong. Canon’s IBIS is great for stills and poor for video. As for the AF on the R3, you can’t control the speed of the focus racking which is a big issue in video. While it may track better than the R5C, changing focus will look much too fast and robotic, instead of gradual and natural.

Upvote 0
The R3 has a better sensor for sure and it is definitely better in lowlight. But I shot all day with the R5’s IBIS on and there is no way I’ll ever use that again in video. The jello effect is much too strong. Canon’s IBIS is great for stills and poor for video. As for the AF on the R3, you can’t control the speed of the focus racking which is a big issue in video. While it may track better than the R5C, changing focus will look much too fast and robotic, instead of gradual and natural.
Last year I shot my video wedding season with the canon R5. I gave up the gimbal (which made my equipment heavy and finally limited me artistically), I just work with a cage + handle...and honestly I don't regret it. I can tell you that I am happy with IBIS. There are so many shots where I was happy to have the IBIS and when it wasn't needed just turned it off. I have never had so much fun as last year.
For this year I was thinking of buying the c70, for a better dynamic range...but finally I took the R3 because in raw the dynamic range is close to the c70 (which is not the case with the r5 and certainly the r5c ) while keeping the advantages of the R5 that I loved…then I also take photos.
After my first tests, I do not regret my choice. The R5 will be my b-cam in video.

If the r5c had the same dynamic range as the c70 I would have taken it and overlooked the IBIS. But honestly not having the IBIS, less good AF and having the same limited dynamic range of the R5 is very annoying I find. The R3 seems to me the most balanced.

Upvote 0
I agree that based on the tests I’ve seen the quality of the R3 is great. I actually preordered one but cancelled it after the announcement of the R5C. For my use case, more important than the better low light/dynamic range of the R3 is RAW in full frame and S35, Face Only AF (99% of my work is people), size for gimbal use, the exposure tools, and the better custom white balance adjustment. On the photo side, I need the higher pixel count for the print work that I do. The 24 MP of the R3 would have been cutting it close, but the unlimited video recording time would have made up for it. However, in the R5C I get the best of both worlds, and I am saving over $2,000 in the process. And if I need IBIS for some reason I’ll still have the R5.

I appreciate that Canon now has so many options based on the needs of the shooter (R6, R5, R5C, C70, R3, C300iii, etc…). What’s great is that we can all find a really powerful tool for our individual needs.
I understand your choice.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As a former event shooter, I find this idea somewhat laughable. Taking photos while shooting video in most instances results in a pause in the video, and that's a big no for me.
Hire a photographer to take photographs while you take videos. If you can't do that, than this camera isn't for you. It's a camera aimed specifically at the video crowd while maintaining the photo-centric features of the R5.

When it was first announced and people were complaining, it just reminded me how no matter what camera you put out, there will always be voices who will never purchase or could even afford the camera, complaining about what it does or doesn't have.
Except the Sony crowd. Like the Macbook crowd, they will take a punch to the face before they admit there's an issue.
Depends on the client budget and team availability if I want to hire a team or do it myself. plenty of pros do both. That is why they call it hybrid. With the R series the pause is tiny. I made plenty of money doing it that way. Who says we cant afford more shooters. I have R5s, R3, c70s etc and still can pay my bills and run a studio. So hybrid shooting isn't all that bad for me. There are a lot of weird closed minded people on this page when it comes to topics related to photo and video.

Upvote 0