Canon China Teases ‘New Companion’ Coming Feb 24

Canon China is much more active on social media than in many other regions. Its Weibo account this morning published a teaser (Chinese) featuring a large, gold number three, and writing that states, “The new friend you’ve been waiting for is finally here; see you here in three days.”
A QR code at the bottom leads to a live event site showing a countdown to February 24 at 7 p.m. local time, seemingly suggesting a product launch.
Canon-Teaser-for-2-24-22-168x168.png
Commenters on Canon’s Chinese social media feeds do not appear to have any earlier references, and are using (much as English-speaking comment boards tend to do) the open-ended teaser as a bit of a Rorschach test of personal hopes and desires. An R7 and an RP II have been speculated, but then so have some pretty crazy ideas...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Most likely are those 800mm and 1200mm tele lenses I guess.
I don't believe it happening without some more rumors about it first, but I'll be happy to be surprised by an R7 anyway :)

Could also be some of these "stupid" gadget things ("social-camera", Powershot Zoom, and that kind of stuff :-/)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Interesting. Google lens translates the vertical text to the side of the big 3 as "There's still more to come from Canon's new product launch". If that 'still more' is translated accurately, it could be meant to indicate this launch is related to the last one from recent memory. Which is the R5C I believe.

That would indicate an RF body rather than some new gimmick camera to me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If the translation "Your new friend is finally here" is correct, it´s shurely not gonna be anything pro grade. I bet it´s either gonna be the RP II, an R APS-C body far lower grade than an R7 or some consumer oriented product like their AI automatic powershot PX or something similar that no one on this forum will get excited about ;-).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I am guessing we are getting three new products. I'd guess:
1. R7 semi pro camera
2. 800mm lense
3. 1200mm lense

I´m hoping for:
1. Spiritual Eos R successor (imho R8)
2. RF 300-800mm F8 L zoom
3. A big surprise :) make it an RF 14mm F1.8 L and take all my money :)

I´m wishing for:
1. A R6 Mk II with 32MP
2. RF 12mm F2
3. RF 300-800mm F8 L (boy, that patent got me dreamin´)

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I´m hoping for:
1. Spiritual Eos R successor (imho R8)
If we expect the R7 to be an APS-C body, I would the the R8 must be one as well.

But maybe you are onto something here. Looking at that 3 in the picture, it does come suspiciously close to an 8. Not to mention the infinity symbol at the bottom, which might also just be an 8 on its side.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Google lens translates the vertical text to the side of the big 3 as "There's still more to come from Canon's new product launch". If that 'still more' is translated accurately, it could be meant to indicate this launch is related to the last one from recent memory. Which is the R5C I believe. That would indicate an RF body rather than some new gimmick camera to me.
The translation is wrong. The vertical text is part of the sentence with “3 days”. So the “still more” means “still 3 days”. According to the red infinity sign below, I suspect it might be R5c which provides infinite recording time without overheating

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Most likely are those 800mm and 1200mm tele lenses I guess.
I don't believe it happening without some more rumors about it first, but I'll be happy to be surprised by an R7 anyway :)

Could also be some of these "stupid" chinese gadget things ("social-camera", Powershot Zoom, and that kind of stuff :-/)
My money's on it being the latter: a consumer market knick knack sort of thing. It's the word "companion" or "friend." Someone who actually knows Chinese might be able to give us better subtlety here. The other reading of that is that it's an accessory to something already launched, like something that uses the smart shoe on the new cameras.

Upvote 0
My money's on it being the latter: a consumer market knick knack sort of thing. It's the word "companion" or "friend." Someone who actually knows Chinese might be able to give us better subtlety here. The other reading of that is that it's an accessory to something already launched, like something that uses the smart shoe on the new cameras.
There is no meaning of “friend” or “companion” in the poster. More accurate translation could be “Sorry for coming late” or “I am finally coming”.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0