First Leaked Images of the RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM and the RF 1200mm F8L IS USM

These are the first leaked pictures of the upcoming Canon RF 800mm F5.6L IS USM and the Canon RF 1200mm F8L IS USM. Both of these lenses have been on our roadmap for quite some time.
The 1200mm is most definitely a normal optic (a monster lens at that) and not a catadioptric lens.
From the image, they’re going to be announced on February 24th.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Jan 29, 2011
How many of the 1200mm lenses do you suppose Canon will sell in the next 5 years?
I would think initially there will be a good pent up demand from the kinds of people that really use that kind of thing. I'd think there will be a lot of Government agencies looking to get them, all the big photo agencies will want a few, each Canon CPS nation will want several, lots of private security and surveillance users too.

Then you move on to the actual photographers, for shore based surf photography it is a dream lens, I'd think there will be a few astro photographers interested etc etc.

After the initial 5 years, once the pent up demand has eased, I'd think the sales would slow down to a trickle though.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Somehow they look shorter than I'd expect. Perhaps the objective lenses are just so darned wide that it gives that impression, and I'm not thinking in the right scale.

I will be very interested to see if the MTF graphs that'll come out on launch compare favorably to the 600mm with a 1.4x teleconverter. To launch this sort of a monster I suppose it must.

Also curious about the 800 + 1.4x TC versus the 1200 f/8. If the 1200 doesn't beat the pants off the 800, then it's just a lot more bulk to carry around.

Big "whomp whomp whooomp" to Sony wildlife shooters for the next bunch of quarters before they can marshall something equivalent. And for the next few years for the Nikonians, who have a better chance of getting something from Sigma or Tamron in terms of big pro lens release timing.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

These just look like EF lenses with adaptors bolted on. I was very much hoping the 400 and 600 were using a stopgap design and that the newer lenses would ether have some value add, or at least a better looking mount design. Of course performance comes first, but I can't help but think the Nikon super tele lenses are looking nicer this generation even if the gold ring looks a bit naff. Exciting times ahead for wildlife photographers, we are entering a golden age where we can have 1200mm on a bare lens!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
These just look like EF lenses with adaptors bolted on. I was very much hoping the 400 and 600 were using a stopgap design and that the newer lenses would ether have some value add, or at least a better looking mount design. Of course performance comes first, but I can't help but think the Nikon super tele lenses are looking nicer this generation even if the gold ring looks a bit naff. Exciting times ahead for wildlife photographers, we are entering a golden age where we can have 1200mm on a bare lens!

The 800mm looks to have different proportions to the EF version, but could be the image distortion.

Upvote 0
That 800/5.6 looks to be a lot stubbier than the EF 800/5.6. DO, perhaps? Or a fake with a little PS help?
Canon said a couple of years back that they were open to adding DO elements in the L lenses. But the size savings on this lens look to be on the front side of the lens however, the rear side looks a little longer when compared to the RF600 4.0 and EF800 5.6 pics. That said, I do think there is a shrinkage going on in there. We'll know in a couple of days though.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I wonder if the rear metal element can be factory -removed, in order to convert RF into EF, since there are still many professional DSLR users.
Provided these are the real pictures of the lenses.
RF lenses use totally new & faster protocols to EF, so pretty much zero chance for that.

Also, if you can afford this lens you can probably afford a new R body to go with it.

Upvote 0