Canon releases firmware updates for the EOS R5 and EOS R6

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As promised, Canon has released new firmware for both the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6. The firmware updates appear to improve autofocus in certain situations.
Canon EOS R5
Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancement:

Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Download firmware v1.5.2 for the Canon EOS R5
Canon EOS R6
Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancement:

Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
So I did what I did last time, upgraded/downgraded five times and just bam, it suddenly works again. I cannot understand how this is possible, but it goes from havoc to Ronnie O’Sullivan precision with a few attempts.
don't have context.. why did you upgrade/downgrade 5 times?

worked fine first time with me. I have latest now, but sadly no reason at moment to get some pics

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So I did what I did last time, upgraded/downgraded five times and just bam, it suddenly works again. I cannot understand how this is possible, but it goes from havoc to Ronnie O’Sullivan precision with a few attempts.
Glad it's sorted but just bare in mind, he's one of the best ever but Ronnie O'Sullivan can also be very unpredictable!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Do you install via a cable from your computer or do you transfer to a SD or CFexpress card via a card reader?

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I did a couple of very quick tests, and it does seem the tracking ability is now on par with 1.4.0. I'll be able to tell for sure over the next week or so.
I'd love to hear your experience. I downgraded mine to 1.4 and I'm cautious about upgrading at this point in the middle of senior portrait season....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
don't have context.. why did you upgrade/downgrade 5 times?

worked fine first time with me. I have latest now, but sadly no reason at moment to get some pics
The AF was chaos, the AF point jumps around and it tracks worse than the 1d3, before any of the fixes that didn’t do much. It won’t show the head or body square/rectangle, only a cluster of points.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Do you install via a cable from your computer or do you transfer to a SD or CFexpress card via a card reader?
I’ve tried both, but use mostly a card reader and I’ve tried both cards, makes no difference. And for both 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 I did the same exact routine 5(6) times and then suddenly my the tracking box comes down and sits very stable and accurate. It tries it very best at tracking whereas before it’s all over the place and nothing is in focus.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Card readers are variable in quality and performance. I consider it safer and more reliable to slot an SD card into my Mac, drag the FIR file to the card, eject the card properly, and then put the card in the camera. I also follow Canon's recommendation to remove the lens from the camera, and install a freshly charged battery before updating. I wonder if some of the problems people encounter are caused by using different methods to update firmware.

Incidentally, my R5 running on v1.5 clocked up another 5000 actuations last week in Peru, where it was subjected to extreme humidity, frequent showers and high temperatures. It froze once, requiring a reboot. I also had some inexplicably bright flickering in the EVF when half-pressing the shutter button after a few hours of heavy use, although this issue disappeared once the camera cooled down. I was shooting entirely stills, and had no overheat warnings.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Card readers are variable in quality and performance. I consider it safer and more reliable to slot an SD card into my Mac, drag the FIR file to the card, eject the card properly, and then put the card in the camera. I also follow Canon's recommendation to remove the lens from the camera, and install a freshly charged battery before updating. I wonder if some of the problems people encounter are caused by using different methods to update firmware.

Incidentally, my R5 running on v1.5 clocked up another 5000 actuations last week in Peru, where it was subjected to extreme humidity, frequent showers and high temperatures. It froze once, requiring a reboot. I also had some inexplicably bright flickering in the EVF when half-pressing the shutter button after a few hours of heavy use, although this issue disappeared once the camera cooled down. I was shooting entirely stills, and had no overheat warnings.
My MacBook Pro doesn’t have a built in card reader, and I have never had an external card reader let me down. The instructions with the firmware upgrade don’t tell you to remove the lens. I prefer to transfer by card rather than cable because cable connections occasionally let me down.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

My R5 has that bright flickering as well with the half shutter press when focusing on something that’s not brightly lit like indoors or shadows. I took to the Canon Center in Santa Ana and they couldn’t find any issues but it persists. I got the front desk person to witness the issue when I showed him, but when he took it to the tech in back the tech couldn’t replicate the issue. It doesn’t affect the captured image in anyway but it is annoying and distracting when composing a shot.

Upvote 0
My R5 has that bright flickering as well with the half shutter press when focusing on something that’s not brightly lit like indoors or shadows. I took to the Canon Center in Santa Ana and they couldn’t find any issues but it persists. I got the front desk person to witness the issue when I showed him, but when he took it to the tech in back the tech couldn’t replicate the issue. It doesn’t affect the captured image in anyway but it is annoying and distracting when composing a shot.
I also see the same flickering phenomenon in the lcd screen as well, not just the evf.
if anyone has a solution I’d love to know.

Upvote 0