Industry News: Nikon plans to have 50+ Z-mount lenses by 2025

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon recently let it be known that they plan to release 32 RF mount lenses by 2026, which seems to be a very aggressive approach to the system. Not to be outdone, but Nikon has now come out and said that they plan to have 50+ Z mount lenses by 2025 in their latest investor relations release.
More than that, Nikon also plans to put more resources into their video features for content creators. Nikon’s place in this segment has always been thought of as weaker than offerings from Canon and Sony,  Whether that’s fair or not is up for debate.
Nikon’s current plan

Concentrate management resources in high value-added products and mirrorless cameras(Meet expectations of professionals and hobbyists and raise ASP 20%)
Bolster the Z mount system by expanding the lens lineup (50+ lenses and a 2+ lens attach rate)...

Continue reading...

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Totally tongue in cheek here, but at this point I could announce 50+ lenses for my camera system and ship just as many as Nikon seems to be able to ship. ;)

Seriously though this could be interesting. In a few years I could see adding a used Z9 and a couple of select lenses to go along side my Canon gear, particularly if Nikon fills some key gaps in glass and price point that Canon doesn't fill - and at prices more like the old Canon pricing. My big current fear is Canon is going boutique like Leica did, with ridiculous pricing providing high margins while driving volume down.

Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Totally tongue in cheek here, but at this point I could announce 50+ lenses for my camera system and ship just as many as Nikon seems to be able to ship. ;)

Seriously though this could be interesting. In a few years I could see adding a used Z9 and a couple of select lenses to go along side my Canon gear, particularly if Nikon fills some key gaps in glass and price point that Canon doesn't fill - and at prices more like the old Canon pricing. My big current fear is Canon is going boutique like Leica did, with ridiculous pricing providing high margins while driving volume down.

Brian
Yes me too! I can't imagine what an R1 will cost when we have Nikon and Sony now with flagships priced comparable to an R3.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

Brian
Unfortunately, for me at least, Leica seems to be very successful with this strategy. In the past, buying a Leica lens was not yet a choice between eating or photographing. I too hope Canon won't follow this example, but the risk is extremely limited, the two companies having totally different structures. (Boutique vs. automated industrial production).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Billybob

800mm f/11 because a cellphone isn't long enough!
May 22, 2016
Well, in the report Nikon states they want to "have 50 Z lenses available by 2026". Given Canon stated they're going to release about 8 lenses annually, Nikon and Canon will be almost even by 2026. The interesting question is: how will their line-up differ from each other.
Well, my biggest question in this regard is whether Canon will offer affordable (rather than "budget") variable-aperture DO lenses to match Nikon's offering of pf lenses?

I could get quite excited about a 600mm f/5 DO lens for $6000 or even $7000.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
I keep hoping Canon will offer lenses the other brands don't. The 28-70 f2L is a great lens and shows innovation. One could also argue that the smaller, lighter 70-200 2.8L is as well. I had hoped we would see more of these lenses with the RF mount. I think Canon could have done better than the current 100-500 and super telephoto lenses. Let's hope we see more of the former as Canon is capable.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I keep hoping Canon will offer lenses the other brands don't. The 28-70 f2L is a great lens and shows innovation. One could also argue that the smaller, lighter 70-200 2.8L is as well. I had hoped we would see more of these lenses with the RF mount. I think Canon could have done better than the current 100-500 and super telephoto lenses. Let's hope we see more of the former as Canon is capable.
The RF 70-200's, 100-500, and 28-70 are system sellers in my book. While the 100-500 is a bother with a TC, as a bare lens it gives Canon users something no one else has. The RF super-tele lenses on the other hand are really disappointing and I keep waiting on the first of their new design mirrorless lenses to show face.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, my biggest question in this regard is whether Canon will offer affordable (rather than "budget") variable-aperure DO lenses to match Nikon's offering of pf lenses?
I'd love to see Canon (or any other manufacturer) exploring superzoom lenses with variable aperture to make them affordable and attractive to a lot of people. The 600mm/ 800mm F11 were a great start, but how about a 300-700mm with a F6.3-11 aperture. (250-750mm or F5.6-F8... you get the picture)

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
The RF 70-200's, 100-500, and 28-70 are system sellers in my book. While the 100-500 is a bother with a TC, as a bare lens it gives Canon users something no one else has. The RF super-tele lenses on the other hand are really disappointing and I keep waiting on the first of their new design mirrorless lenses to show face.
When Sony and others have a faster 200-600 lens under 2000 with great optical quality and TC compatibility it didnt seem Canon was making a huge leap with the 100-500.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
When Sony and others have a faster 200-600 lens under 2000 with great optical quality and TC compatibility it didnt seem Canon was making a huge leap with the 100-500.
The Canon is a 5x zoom vs the 3x zoom of the sony. That is a massive difference in range. The Sony also starts at 200mm vs 100mm of the Canon which greatly reduces its usability in many situations. The Canon is also half a kilo lighter than the sony. Overall the 100-500 is a much more versatile lens.
Also remember that Sony also sells a 100-400mm for £2500.

Upvote 0