The Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS and Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS will be available starting May 26, 2022

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It looks like Canon will begin shipping the Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM and Canon RF 1200mm f/8L IS USM on May 26, 2022 in limited quantities, which is likely fine because I imagine these will be purchased in limited quantities.
Canon RF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Key Features

Outstanding Image Quality, 800mm Super-telephoto Fixed Focal Length Lens
Expands the EOS R System
Impressively Light at 6.9 lbs., While Retaining High Levels of Image Quality
Minimum Focusing Distance of Approx. 8.53′
Optical Image Stabilization with up to 4.5 Stops of Shake Correction
Three IS Operation Modes
Super Spectra Coating (SSC) and Air Sphere Coating (ASC) Helps Minimize
Ghosting and Flare
Compatible with Canon RF1.4x and 2x Extenders
Customizable Electronic Focus Ring, with Manual Focus Capability during SERVO AF...

Continue reading...

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Will anyone who is not an agency (i.e. anyone spending their own money) buy these? There are a surprising number of hobbyists with the $12k 400 and 600mm lenses. But these are in a-whole-nother class of expensive.
-Brian
Then they share they image on IG, ROI Pure Win

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Will anyone who is not an agency (i.e. anyone spending their own money) buy these? There are a surprising number of hobbyists with the $12k 400 and 600mm lenses. But these are in a-whole-nother class of expensive.
Perhaps. I suspect if one can afford to spend $13K on a lens (which is what I paid for my 600/4 II back in 2012), there's not much difference between that and $17K or $20K. For me, at least, it's about getting something that offers a capability beyond what one has currently. The 600/4 III and RF 600/4 are not optically better than the 600/4 II; they are lighter, but I can hike and shoot handheld with the MkII version already. For these lenses, I can get to 840/5.6 and 1200/8 with the TCs behind my 600/4, so they don't really offer anything I don't have (except the ability to easily be extended further with TCs, but I can do that now with a modified EF-RF adapter and the EF and RF TCs I have).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
-Brian

If you're hobby is wildlife photography and you are at a point in your life you can afford it, yes there are many who would buy it. It is a hobby.

I would consider one but looking at the MTF charts it looks like the value isn't going to be there. If the 800mm results are not substantially better than a 600mm with an extender then it wouldn't be appealing to me. We will have to wait and see what they produce.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Incredible focal length of lens. I've the 600 F4 II. It's a great lens but its big and heavy. I have hand held it but its not good for you.
I usually use it on a solid tripod with a wimberly gimbal head which is another few KG's added to the load.
Getting a bag that fit it was difficult. Even if I could afford 800/1200 I wouldn't consider it due to the logistic effort of moving it around.
I often use a 2 extender with the 600mm. It can be quite tricking actually find something you see with 1200mm. One piece of grass or a tree can look very much like another at 1200mm. I think I'd find an 800 or 1200 a very inflexible lens.
There's alot to be said for a 100-500mm or a 200-600mm far more flexible and lighter.
Still there is a market for the ultimate. Maybe it will come with a free donkey to carry it on treks.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Incredible focal length of lens. I've the 600 F4 II. It's a great lens but its big and heavy. I have hand held it but its not good for you.
I usually use it on a solid tripod with a wimberly gimbal head which is another few KG's added to the load.
Getting a bag that fit it was difficult. Even if I could afford 800/1200 I wouldn't consider it due to the logistic effort of moving it around.
I often use a 2 extender with the 600mm. It can be quite tricking actually find something you see with 1200mm. One piece of grass or a tree can look very much like another at 1200mm. I think I'd find an 800 or 1200 a very inflexible lens.
There's alot to be said for a 100-500mm or a 200-600mm far more flexible and lighter.
Still there is a market for the ultimate. Maybe it will come with a free donkey to carry it on treks.
I went for a long hike (for me) today with the 100-500 and shot close ups of butterflies and dragonflies and then birds in flight with the same lens. It’s a great compromise for me for me for everyday shooting though a light wider prime would be good for me on more special occasions.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I will repeat: these prices are a signal of significant price inflation ahead for other lenses. They are priced for the future, and the 400 and 600 will catch up. You will look back on $12k big whites as "the good old days" if you don't buy now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

The 600 F4 version 3 is much lighter than your version 2.

Upvote 0