DXO has launched Nik Collection 5, the hugely popular plugins for Photoshop and Lightroom

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have always loved the Nik Collection, from it’s early days, through the dark Google years and now under the umbrella of DXO. Nik Collection 5 is really a big step forward for the suite and it’s available now.
If you don’t believe us, Nik Collection 5 is available to try out for 30 days.
Press Release
The latest version of the renowned suite of eight plug-ins for Adobe Photoshop® and Lightroom Classic® also features a brand new tool to reduce haze and 29 faithfully reproduced color film grains.
Powerful and diverse, the eight plug-ins of Nik Collection 5 also function as standalone apps and offer unlimited creative potential. More than 300 presets give instant results, while intuitive sliders and DxO’s exclusive U-Point technology for local adjustments bring endless creative opportunities and the ability to refine every detail.
Check out Nik Collection 5

Revamped...

Continue reading...

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
wow seems lame
They aren't for everyone, but Silver EFX is worth the price of admission for folks like me. I like to be able to press a button and get 90% there. I have found that Lightroom and Photoshop have become so bloated with their available tools, and while I like PhotoLAB and Capture One, they also suffer from the same thing. Nik Collection has always been a massive time saver for people that really don't enjoy the editing process.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
I've been using these from the start. I think the original is still available for free.
It really hasn't improved since - the original was ahead of its time.
I supported version 2/3 to keep the software alive.
Version 4 I also upgraded to but it really irritated me.
It was not worth it at all. They only upgraded two of the applications. I didn't even find those changes much of a benefit.
Version 5 now seems to be doing the same update to the remaining applications.
I'm out I'm getting tired of these purchased applications with the yearly new versions that are not really improving the product.
It ends up being as expensive as photoshop.
Luminar and Topaz spring to mind here.
I do recommend Nik - just wish they would actually improve it or bring out something that's actually new.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Am I understanding this correctly as the new version of Nik has PhotoLab?
Sorry, no. Actually, yes! But unfortunately, the Essential version that comes with Nik lacks the advanced noise reduction. For me, that’s one of the main reasons I use DxO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
I have got Nik version 3 but did not upgrade to 4 last year as the changes to allow chroma & Luminance adjustment in the U-point tech, while good, was incomplete. Now that they have added the earlier changes to the rest of key plug-ins, I might be tempted to go for version 5. PhotoLab 5 has also incorporated the same tech and it has been much better than the previous versions for my use case, so I was, and still am, pretty happy with it. By upgrading Nik to 5, the two can work more comparably together. WIll probably wait for a sale first though as I too get annoyed with incremental changes posing as upgrades. However, the U-point tech in this case, which offers a much more refined control, is just about worth the 'upgrade' (especially when the software is on the Black Friday sale).

Last edited:
Upvote 0