A Canon EOS R7 C is on the way, but not in 2022 [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We have been told that Canon will be bringing a Cinema EOS version of the Canon EOS R7. While this is pretty cool news, don’t expect the Canon EOS R7 C to be announced in 2022.
The Canon EOS R7 C will record 7K60P in Cinema RAW Light and will reportedly have the same codec options as other Cinema EOS cameras, including the Canon EOS R5 C.
We suspect that such a camera will be announced later in 2023.
There will be more to come on this camera and other upcoming Cinema EOS products tomorrow.

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I guess my first question is why? But I'm not a video guy.
That was my first reaction too. I guess it's because it can be produced and sold a lot cheaper than a FF model. Also lighter and more compact, which would be appreciated by vloggers. Panasonic produce apparently excellent video cameras in M43 mount, so a smaller sensor is clearly OK for most purposes. But like yourself, I'm not a video guy either, and I'm sure more explanations will follow...

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
That was my first reaction too. I guess it's because it can be produced and sold a lot cheaper than a FF model. Also lighter and more compact, which would be appreciated by vloggers. Panasonic produce apparently excellent video cameras in M43 mount, so a smaller sensor is clearly OK for most purposes. But like yourself, I'm not a video guy either, and I'm sure more explanations will follow...
It is not like the C70 is a full-frame camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
The lack of ALL-I in the R7 kind of killed it for me. If they do give it raw and the ability to jam time code it would be very hard to say no to. I would rather have down sampled 6K than 7K up converted to 8K. And give us a modern memory card slot.
Why is all-I an important feature for me? the quality is the same, just the editing is a bit faster (since the decoder does not have to reconstruct frames based on difference-images). But the editing nowadays is quite good on a good pc or mac. And the proxy workflow usualy works great.... IPB is also using less space.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
We love the C70's speedbooster at my job to turn the C70 into effectively a full frame perspective. We use it almost all the time with the C70, especially for environmental interviews and interior shots where we need the wide end a little more. The flexibility of having both a super 35 perspective with a regular adapter, and full frame with the speedbooster, is super, super useful depending on what we're doing.

This would be a pretty great plus for the R7C, too, to give flexibility.

Plenty of production companies once used the 7D and 7D Mark II for disposable cameras in action shots. Granted, the improvements to action cameras made those shots easier, but if you need a big sensor look, "cheap" 1.6x cameras are far more cost effective to risk destroying than an R5C or a C70.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Canon is scared of Fuji Xh2S

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The lack of ALL-I in the R7 kind of killed it for me. If they do give it raw and the ability to jam time code it would be very hard to say no to. I would rather have down sampled 6K than 7K up converted to 8K. And give us a modern memory card slot.
Down sampling it self takes A LOT of CPU, so why not just dump entire sensor output to CF Express card ( or any other media ). Better save some $€ on CPU

Hopefully
  • Batterygrip
  • external usb harddisk recording, like BM
  • Panasonic has built anamorphic lens support. Canon?

Upvote 0

freejay

CR Pro
Feb 3, 2015
Down sampling it self takes A LOT of CPU, so why not just dump entire sensor output to CF Express card ( or any other media ). Better save some $€ on CPU

Hopefully
  • Batterygrip
  • external usb harddisk recording, like BM
  • Panasonic has built anamorphic lens support. Canon?
As far as I know Canon's cinema cameras all have build in anamorphic lens support (e.g. the R5C has it).

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon is scared of Fuji Xh2S
Just personal observations: Here in the UK, I see lots of people using Canon cameras - probably 70%. I also see plenty of people using Sony devices - perhaps 15%. A few Nikons and Panasonics too - maybe 5% each. I see Fujifilm cameras on display in the stores, but rarely being used. Fujifilm make nice cameras, but I don't think Canon has much to worry about.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Slightly concerned that "C-versions" of cameras will holdup video-based advancements in the "normal" lines, but doubt Canon cares about any of that short term. Any major advancement in cooling capabilities would go pretty far with combining these lines in the future.

Do agree the RF APS-C lens lineup is a bit blah at the moment, but also think that somewhat trickles over to the entire RF "budget" lineup too. The F6.3, F7.1 & F8 lenses are just not great options with video. Great range with RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM, but most end up stopping down with variable aperture, so shooting at F6.3 max like this is not ideal. Cheapest RF native that really is useable for video is probably the $1300 RF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM.

Upvote 0