Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM and Canon Speedlite EL-5

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, NY, November 2, 2022 – Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, announced today the launch of the new EOS R6 Mark II camera body, Canon’s new hybrid full-frame camera, and the first EOS R series full-frame mirrorless to take the step into the second generation. In addition, Canon is also introducing the new RF135mm F1.8 L IS USM mid-telephoto portrait lens and Speedlite EL-5 flash unit.
Ideal for advanced amateurs and featuring user-friendly functions, the EOS R6 Mark II camera is a high-performance hybrid camera that’s designed to capture decisive moments in both photo and video formats. It will satisfy a wide range of needs including professional production...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Battery life/CIPA has improved >10% which is a good sign and matches A7iv.
Pre-buffer finally makes it on a Canon body!
flash sync @1/200s mechanical, 1/250s EFCS.
Mostly a video update and virtually no thermal limits or 30 minute clip length
And it has a Rate button :cool:
I'm thinking that it is like the 5Diii to 5Div.. nothing that jumps out of the spec sheet but improvements all round that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
135L is pretty much DOA here in Australia since it’s $3899 AUD and the 135GM is only $2300 AUD. Not to mention you got the option of the Samyang 135mm f/1.8 AF for around $1400 AUD.
The RF135L is certainly expensive here.

Weird that the R5 vs R6ii price differential is ~50% extra for the R5 in the US but the difference in Australia is only 20% premium!
(George's has it AUD5400 vs AUD4500). The R5 pricing is all over the place though from AUD5400 to AUD6400 at the moment.
Makes the R5 look like a bargain :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
Not sure why they didn't keep the power switch on the left and make the new switch on the right the photo/video toggle, to keep their design language consistent.

This is modest upgrade which addresses most of the issues of the R6 but since I shoot mainly photos I'll be hanging on to my R6 for now, and waiting for that stacked sensor...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
"Functions" based on firmware.
I am hoping that the R5 will get firmware 2.0 soon- November would fit their recent update cycle
Since quite a lot of functionality in the R7 and R6 II is based on FW I can only pray that they upgrade their top of the line products. I'd be even willing to pay like a hundo for said upgrades to my R5.

Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
This Camera is amazing. It’s really what the R5C firmware should have been.

Bump in mp and resolving
False color
Focus breathing correction
40 fps (won’t be using this)
Fast photo video switch
No crop
Raw output
New autofocus
Subject detection
No overheating
Auto webcam through usb
Updated joy stick
Updated Hot shoe
Better battery
Bracketing
Digital converter
Face only af
Pre record
Flicker reduction

Anyone complaining about this release is missing the point. It’s not about the specs specifically even though there are spec bumps, this camera is such an improvement with regards to usability.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Probably not worth the upgrade for an existing R6 user, but great if you don't own one already. People who brought an R6 within the last 3 months or so would likely be annoyed at this announcement.

I wonder if an R5 II will be coming soon? I think the second generation will be the one where the main issues such as random freezing will be fixed.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Just simply astounding that Fujifilm releases that X-H2s, while Canon and Sony simply lay goose eggs. $2499 is simply too damn much for aged image sensor technology. Not worth it. Simply not worth it. There's absolutely no firmware in this device worth the amount of money Canon is asking. Nothing that any firmware engineer couldnt do in a few hours, maybe a week at the most. Wait for 2023 folks. This isnt anything worth your hard earned moola unless you simply feeling like tossing $2499 × tax at this garbage.

• Haha
Upvote 0