Another announcement cycle is out of the way, so what’s next from Canon for the EOS R system?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
With the announcement of the Canon EOS R6 Mark II and Canon RF 135mm f/1.8L IS USM out of the way, we can look forward to what Canon has planned next for the EOS R lineup.
EOS R System
Canon EOS R100
The Canon EOS R100 seems to be the camera that is most likely to be announced next from Canon. It will take on the form factor of the EOS M lineup and sport an RF mount. If Canon is indeed moving on from EOS M, they will need to replace the form factor. The Canon EOS R10 doesn’t fill the void of a small ILC...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

Pierre Lagarde

Canon, Nikon and So on ...
Aug 4, 2020
France
www.deviantart.com
"It will take on the form factor of the EOS M lineup"

I'm curious about how they can put an R mount on the M100 body :D... It's physically impossible !
Only a camera sized like the EOS M6 Mark II (or an M50 pushing form factor with the EVF) can handle it. That's just physics. Or may be they will make the cameras more "squared" to reduce global size (with a printer in it... wait !) ...

That, plus the fact they have to offer lenses like the 22mm, 11-22mm and 32mm with same size and weight to make the concept of "small R" interesting, to my sense + open R mount to Sigma, in order to have a decent, affordable and usable 56mm f/1.4 on this mount.

There is more chance they won't be a valuable replacement of M concept if they stop making it...

On the other hand, we can live without it... especially if you already own EOS M6 Mark II and the lenses I've listed above : they will probably last enough years with a good care, before they need to and can be replaced with something else... and probably else than Canon or even standard camera gears then :D

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I wonder how or why canon manages to have no rumors leaking about future lenses at the moment. The road map which appeared two years ago on CR was very precise and had quite a big outlook, even though there were surprises.

New information for the next one or two years would be helpful, especially concerning F1.4 primes or the F2 (trinity) lenses.

I know canon handles things differently than Nikon, but often companies spread rumors intentionally to get the information out there without being held accountable to actually deliver a rumored lense. I hope for that to happen again.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
"It will take on the form factor of the EOS M lineup"

I'm curious about how they can put an R mount on the M100 body :D... It's physically impossible !
Only a camera sized like the EOS M6 Mark II (or an M50 pushing form factor with the EVF) can handle it. That's just physics. Or may be they will make the cameras more "squared" to reduce global size (with a printer in it... wait !) ...
"Form factor" has nothing to do with having the exact same dimensions. It means same general shape, ergonomics and approximate size. Here it means "has no viewfinder bump" plus likely only a very modest grip. The mount size will constrain the height of the body, sure, but even that can be worked around to some extent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Canon also needs to fill out the ‘big white’ lineup by addressing 300mm and 500mm. We’re hoping for an RF 300mm f/2.8L IS 1.4x, which would be a massive hit.
A 300/2.8 1.4x would receive huge critical acclaim, but I think a little longer and a stop slower would find a bigger market. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see a 400/4 1.4x or even better a 500/5 1.4x DO.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0