The Canon EOS R1 may not come until 2024

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
The next Olympics sounds like a reasonable timeframe, and Canon have scheduled grand releases of flagship bodies around those sort of events in the past. On past experience, a range of prototypes tend to be field-tested well in advance (like 12 months or more) of official announcements, and there seems to be no rumours of anything like that at the moment. So 2023 is increasingly unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Will their flagship sports camera really be a high megapixel one? That seems like a step back for be, as the pixels will become much smaller. As those files have to be transferred within minutes anyway, they will use a low megapixel version anyway.
I'm assuming the high-speed journalists shoot JPEG anyway, so the actual sensor resolution just needs to clear a minimum (e.g. 12MP). The other people buying the R1, let's call them dentists, lawyers and wildlifers, likely want more megapixels.

Canon does need the R1 to have something that will get people so say "Yes, I'll spend €2500 more and not get the R3." That can be lots of megapixels, global shutter, both or something else. I doubt double CFe or slightly more metal in the body will get enough people to prefer an R1 over an R3, seeing how the R3 has turned out.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Will their flagship sports camera really be a high megapixel one? That seems like a step back for be, as the pixels will become much smaller. As those files have to be transferred within minutes anyway, they will use a low megapixel version anyway.
I believe Canon changed their policy a bit. The flagship sports camera is the R3 and the R1 is going to be a do-it-all-and-beyond camera. Therefore, they'll need at least 50MP to compete with Nikon and Sony and considering it comes out in 2024 (a Sony A1 mk ii won't be far away by then) they to bump the resolution a bit.
i dont´believe the rumored specs... 80MP sounds like a an awful lot, even the high-res Sony still works with 61 MP. I'd guess, the R1 will have fewer MP than the high Res Canon (R5s? or R2?) so I'll wait till that camera hits the market for a guess.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I believe Canon changed their policy a bit. The flagship sports camera is the R3 [...]
Every time someone brings that up in an interview, the Canon employee gets very upset and will say the R3 is not the flagship. I don't think the rest of the world agrees with that, though :)

Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I assume that with a high-res sensor they could easily employ a binning mechanism to shoot images at 1/4th or 1/9th of the full resolution.
My PhaseOne IQ180 back has a similar mechanism (it can deliver 80 or 20mp images) and that thing is old :)
Many current flagship phones employ similar mechanisms in their main camera sensors (my Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra has a 108mp main camera but normally shoots 12mp images (1/9th)

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Hm...wild speculation incoming....

1. If the specs are correct, you'll be able to buy an R3 and an R5 and have money left over compared to the price of an R1.
2. As pointed out above, you'd probably have to use an m.2 drive instead of memory cards to match the data rates.
3. Is it possible that we could see an R5s be a 'mini' R1 - same 85mp sensor with much lower FPS and a feature set closer to the R5? If so, no R5S until after 2024. Might fit the 1DXIII/R6 and R3/R6II relationships.
4. I had hoped to have an R1 or 1 series body some day. But seems like it will be out of reach, as I bet they will push the price point on this one to $10k. I could half imagine saving up $6500 for a 1 series, and have been working on it for over 4 years so far. But 10k isn't going to happen. Maybe by the time the R1 hits, the R3 will drop in price, or there will be a stacked sensor R5II that will be more attainable.

Brian

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
The R1 not being release until 2024 makes complete sense to me. The Canon 1Dx Mk 3 was released on January 6, 2020 so I would anticipate a Q1 release of the R1 so photographers could have it in hand for the summer 2024 Olympics. WCS I spend more time using my R3.

In terms of specifications I really have no idea, but am guessing greater resolution than the R5 with the ability to pixel bin to capture lower resolution RAW files, cross-type AF, dual CFE type B slots, and metering linked to spot. Honestly, guess specs until Canon gives us a development announcement in late 2023 or early 2024?

Last edited:
Upvote 0