Canon officially discontinues the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of Canon’s most unique lenses, the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro has been officially discontinued. These little niche lenses helped set Canon’s lens lineup apart from other manufacturers. We’re hoping that we see lenses like this in the future for the RF mount. Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro The only native macro for

See full article...

I don't get it: this unique lens was the reason why I switched to Canon a long time ago! Why discontinue a lens (despite the certainly low volume) with no alternative available?
I think it is a bad decision driven by short-term marketing data and cost, not taking into account long-term brand value.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I don't get it: this unique lens was the reason why I switched to Canon a long time ago! Why discontinue a lens (despite the certainly low volume) with no alternative available?
I very much hope that they already have had a replacement scheduled, but couldn't get the timing right. Hypothetical example: a planned last production run early 2020, replacement announcement in 2024. Since 2020 was a dumpster fire, that production run wouldn't have happened and it could also have pushed the replacement even further out. That's the most positive interpretation I can come up with.

Whatever the reason, I want the replacement to be available and in stock when my MP-E breaks, especially during spring/summer when I use it almost daily.

Upvote 0
I very much hope that they already have had a replacement scheduled, but couldn't get the timing right. Hypothetical example: a planned last production run early 2020, replacement announcement in 2024. Since 2020 was a dumpster fire, that production run wouldn't have happened and it could also have pushed the replacement even further out. That's the most positive interpretation I can come up with.

Whatever the reason, I want the replacement to be available and in stock when my MP-E breaks, especially during spring/summer when I use it almost daily.
I suspect that the replacement will be available (assuming one is coming — it's obviously a pretty unique design) before the current supply runs out. The lens is not a major seller and the current supplies for new lenses and spare parts will probably last a few years.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree.
Uncommon lenses, no competitor had, was certainly a reason to enter the Canon biotope, rather than Nikon's or Sony's.
In my case, it was the availability of the widest Tilt/Shift on the market and of the 65 Macro.
In fact, I bought none of them , realizing I needed other lenses more urgently, also lacking money for such specific lenses.
But the existance of such lenses influenced my "pro-Canon" decision.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune

There are some good 3rd party options available(Venus Laowa, Mitakon) which will fill this niche, unfortunately Canon has been culling the lenses with no replacments for RF mount in sight in some cases it might be good decade long wait(look at lack of 180mm Macro option for any mirrorless mount).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There are some good 3rd party options available(Venus Laowa, Mitakon) which will fill this niche[...]
None of those go from 1x to 5x and none of those have electronic aperture control, which is, IMO, a must have at these magnifications. You're effectively at f/80 at 5x when you set apterture to f/11. Being able to focus wide open is, again IMO, a must.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
None of those go from 1x to 5x and none of those have electronic aperture control, which is, IMO, a must have at these magnifications. You're effectively at f/80 at 5x when you set apterture to f/11. Being able to focus wide open is, again IMO, a must.
Mitakon shoots from 1x to 5x(though it is a bit soft compared to either Venus or Canon), Venus needs to be complemented with their 2X ultra macro for whole range of Macro. I never found mag ratio beyond 2x practical for field use even with focus rails and used MPE indoors and I use high CRI flashlight(Convoy S2+ based on Nichia 219) to provide lighting for focusing due to which never had issue with electronic aperture. These days most of times I am using 100mm Venus outdoors with MPE restricted for indoor use with dead subjects.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I never found mag ratio beyond 2x practical for field use even with focus rails and used MPE indoors
Almost all of my use of the MP-E 65 is in the 3-5x range, outdoors and handheld (usually with the twin flash, either mounted on the lens or on a pair of Wimberly F-2 brackets).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Almost all of my use of the MP-E 65 is in the 3-5x range, outdoors and handheld (usually with the twin flash, either mounted on the lens or on a pair of Wimberly F-2 brackets).
One of butterfly photographer also uses his MPE in field in that Mag ratio range but he shoots butterfly eggs(led lights in twin light help with focusing). I shoot lizards and arachnids and they are notoriously difficult to photograph beyond 2x Mag ratio in field.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
One of butterfly photographer also uses his MPE in field in that Mag ratio range but he shoots butterfly eggs(led lights in twin light help with focusing). I shoot lizards and arachnids and they are notoriously difficult to photograph beyond 2x Mag ratio in field.
Butterflies are hard to photograph with an MP-E + twin light was well, but it can be very rewarding.
20151015 1320 NEDERLAND AMERSFOORT - CANON EOS M - MP-E65MM F-2.8 1-5X MACRO PHOTO AT 65 MM -...jpeg20151014 1318 NEDERLAND AMERSFOORT - CANON EOS M - MP-E65MM F-2.8 1-5X MACRO PHOTO AT 65 MM -...jpeg20200715 1426 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS RP - MP-E65mm f-2.8 1-5x Macro Photo at 65 mm ...jpeg
But most of my pictures taken with the MP-E are bees or spiders:
20200405 1534 Nederland Amersfoort - Canon EOS M6 Mark II - MP-E65mm f-2.8 1-5x Macro Photo a...jpeg20190524 1517 NEDERLAND AMERSFOORT - CANON EOS RP - MP-E65MM F-2.8 1-5X MACRO PHOTO AT 65 MM ...jpeg

I can control a lot of variables in my garden, but I would still hate stopped-down focussing, the EVF gets very laggy when having to boost light levels.

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Butterflies are hard to photograph with an MP-E + twin light was well, but it can be very rewarding.
View attachment 206341View attachment 206342View attachment 206343
But most of my pictures taken with the MP-E are bees or spiders:
View attachment 206345View attachment 206346

I can control a lot of variables in my garden, but I would still hate stopped-down focussing, the EVF gets very laggy when having to boost light levels.
Butterflies in general are difficult subjects to photograph, especially true if you are in western ghats(even 180/200mm Macro feel short) while in Himalayas you can easily photograph them with 60mm Macro.
unless Venus Laowa starts adding electronic aperture to new lenses its either stopped down focusing or using MPE knowing its going to be difficult to get it serviced in future. I hope we get 180mm, efs 60mm, efs 35mm and MPE 65 replacements soon.

Upvote 0

gruhl28

Canon 70D
Jul 26, 2013
You must have really steady hands and body. I find I sway too much to be able to keep a subject within the depth of field even at 1x. What is your keeper rate like?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You must have really steady hands and body. I find I sway too much to be able to keep a subject within the depth of field even at 1x. What is your keeper rate like?
Not great, but digital images are 'free'. I use my swaying to 'focus', and just press the shutter when I hit the focal plane I want.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0