Canon EOS R3 v 1.3.0 update released

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Similar thought when I saw the last update was in July when downloading the R3 update file. I was wondering if they would ever release another update at all.
I'm trying to think positive about this - the absence of updates could, just could, be a sign that a R5 Mkii will be released soon.

But don't hold your breath, it's mostly wishful thinking...

Upvote 0

yankiefrankie

CR Pro
Sep 10, 2020
I'm trying to think positive about this - the absence of updates could, just could, be a sign that a R5 Mkii will be released soon.

But don't hold your breath, it's mostly wishful thinking...
I recently purchased an R3 to replace my R5. I am finding that my kid's sports are mymost important subject, and the R3's 30fps is what I really need.

What I have found is that although the R3 sports tracking is awesome, I much prefer the implementation on the R5 with the single mode that tracks around the screen. The R3 tracks around the screen on all modes, and I find this really annoying when I want to use single point. To be honest, I don't understand why more people don't complain about it.

I realize many R5/R6 owners have been disappointed their cameras have not received the tracking updates from R3/R7/R10/R62, but these updates fundamentally change the way subject tracking operates. Canon is not going to do this, and they should not do this. This would potentially annoy customers that prefer the tracking implementation that came with the camera.

If users would prefer to have the new tracking, they should purchase one of the models that have this new tracking out of the box.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
What I have found is that although the R3 sports tracking is awesome, I much prefer the implementation on the R5 with the single mode that tracks around the screen. The R3 tracks around the screen on all modes, and I find this really annoying when I want to use single point. To be honest, I don't understand why more people don't complain about it.
At least on R6 mark II, according to the documentation, "Start/stop whole area AF tracking" function is by default assigned to the Set button.

If users would prefer to have the new tracking, they should purchase one of the models that have this new tracking out of the box.
I doubt I would want to pay for a non-existing R5 mark II in order to get that small but nice feature on my R5.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The R3 tracks around the screen on all modes, and I find this really annoying when I want to use single point. To be honest, I don't understand why more people don't complain about it.
Probably most people just toggle tracking off when they want it off. There are a wide variety of ways to do so given the customizability of the R3 – assign the toggle to one of several buttons, assign AF with subject tracking to AF-ON and eye-AF to the AE Lock, set up different custom (C#) modes and switch between them, etc.

I use the last one, with mode switching assigned to the M.Fn button, with single point and no shutter speed restrictions on C1 (static subjects), people eye AF with tracking and a modest minimum shutter speed on C2 (moving people), and animal eye AF with tracking and a fast minimum shutter on C3 (birds).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I much prefer the implementation on the R5 with the single mode that tracks around the screen. The R3 tracks around the screen on all modes, and I find this really annoying when I want to use single point.

I realize many R5/R6 owners have been disappointed their cameras have not received the tracking updates from R3/R7/R10/R62, but these updates fundamentally change the way subject tracking operates. Canon is not going to do this, and they should not do this.

Can't agree with your final sentence. I'd quite like to have the new tracking on my R5, although there are a few other firmware possibilities that I'd prefer to get attention first - such as being able to bracket exposures in electronic shutter, and choose between low/medium/fast bursts with electronic shutter. I don't expect Canon to release any more firmware for the R5 though - I'm pretty convinced that I'll have to wait for the R5 Mkii, which is likely a year away.

I'm not interested in the R3 (I don't want a vertical grip) or a R7 (I want full frame) and while the R6ii is appealing, I like the 45MP of my R5 and wouldn't really want to go back to a lower res sensor. I like the R5 a lot, but more firmware upgrades would be very welcome while I'm waiting for the R5 Mkii to appear.

Upvote 0
I recently purchased an R3 to replace my R5. I am finding that my kid's sports are my most important subject, and the R3's 30fps is what I really need.

I realize many R5/R6 owners have been disappointed their cameras have not received the tracking updates from R3/R7/R10/R62, but these updates fundamentally change the way subject tracking operates. Canon is not going to do this, and they should not do this. This would potentially annoy customers that prefer the tracking implementation that came with the camera.

Like the others have mentioned, you may need to test out the R3 a little more. When I rented one for a week, I was able to make it work just like the R5. On the point of buying a new body with Subject Tracking, personally I would be ok if they just corrected initial point selection on the R5/R6 to allow the various zones to work correctly as the initial point. When you use that cryptic second option in the initial point menu, the zones outside of the initial center point don't work correctly. That said, the Subject Tracking setting is undoubtedly the best way to do it, so I'd prefer they add it.

Upvote 0

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
I recently purchased an R3 to replace my R5. I am finding that my kid's sports are mymost important subject, and the R3's 30fps is what I really need.

My R3 only tracks around the screen when I let it. Not sure what your talking about that it does it on it's own. You must not have it setup correctly.

Upvote 0
After firmware update to 1.3.0 many issues come out. 4K 100fps recording overheats and shuts down after only one minute recording. There were no any issues with previous firmwares. Second issue, what I found after update, on screen autofocus button does not work correctly. After more than 5 times pressing turns on or off. No one of these issues does not appear till this update. Now looking how to downgrade firmware.

Upvote 0

Dreysi

Canon R3, Sony A7s
Jul 7, 2016
After firmware update to 1.3.0 many issues come out. 4K 100fps recording overheats and shuts down after only one minute recording. There were no any issues with previous firmwares. Second issue, what I found after update, on screen autofocus button does not work correctly. After more than 5 times pressing turns on or off. No one of these issues does not appear till this update. Now looking how to downgrade firmware.
Yikes thanks for reporting I might hold off on this one. It's not like Canon gave any good features like are on the *more* budget R6ii and R7...

Upvote 0

It's actually a little hard to figure out. It says to use the M-Fn2 button to toggle it off, I tried that and was frustrated too as it did not seem to be working. The wat to toggle it is press the autofocus selection button on the back upper right, While the AF selection menu is visible in the EVF press the M-Fn2 button on the lower front right of the camera. If you are looking through the EVF you should see the tracking with the label M-Fn2 toggle to off. To turn tracking back on just repeat the process. Easy to do if eye tracking is not working and you just want to use single point AF. The feature I like about the R3 is you can set the AF zone as big or small as you want, move that zone with the optical controller and then use the back button AF to engage tracking wherever that zone is. If you want it off, just use the AF select to turn and M-Fn2 to turn it off and you AF point no longer tracks. I generally leave mine as single point and turn tracking on and off depending on what I am shooting. Birds in flight I would use a larger AF area and turn on tracking. Landscapes, single point, tracking off.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Seeing none of the issues reported by this user with my R3.

Upvote 0