Canon Designs a 24-Inch Large-Format Printer for Anywhere

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
MELVILLE, N.Y., Jan. 4, 2023 — Today’s hybrid working professionals and creators increasingly require the ability to produce physical drawings, posters and other large graphical media from anywhere -even without leaving home. Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, unveils the game-changing imagePROGRAF TC-20 large format printer, designed to provide accessibility and affordability for

See full article...

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's not a "photo" printer. It's a 24" poster/CAD printer, which is why it can be so inexpensive and probably a wonderful printer for that purpose.

The Prograf Pro 1000 would be their "photo" printer in this (well, 17") price range.
I have their 44" 4100 version (with 2 roll handling) which is stunningly beautiful for big photo prints. It's the best thing I ever bought among all my photo equipment.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
It's not a "photo" printer. It's a 24" poster/CAD printer, which is why it can be so inexpensive and probably a wonderful printer for that purpose.

The Prograf Pro 1000 would be their "photo" printer in this (well, 17") price range.
I have their 44" 4100 version (with 2 roll handling) which is stunningly beautiful for big photo prints. It's the best thing I ever bought among all my photo equipment.
I have enjoyed the positive feedback from CanonRumors for many years now, and I'd like to "give something back" to those who might read this:

* For those considering a Prograf Pro 4100 (for example), I strongly suggest you get the optional 2nd roll feature (you'll love it)! I use one roll of 24" Canon Photo Pro Luster for brilliant semi-gloss prints to go under glass or photosheets, and the other roll of 44" Moab Entrada Rag Bright 190gsm fine art paper for beautiful matte photos (which is reflection-free when mounted without glass). And the Moab 5x7" Entradalope cards & envelopes make beautiful fine-art greeting cards with the identical paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That is some expensive ink. About a buck a milliliter. My 44" epson ink runs about half that per ml. Must be why the printer is so cheap. This sounds great for restaurants and offices that need occasional posters, but 4 color systems are kinda puny in terms of getting good color.
But Canon's never clog. You can go 2 years between printing and it's just as pristine as ever. I used to be a major Epson printer owner but you have to constantly print to keep them in order. For even my cheap Canon Pixma Pro 100, I've gone 3 months, 6 months between the prints without worry.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
But Canon's never clog. You can go 2 years between printing and it's just as pristine as ever. I used to be a major Epson printer owner but you have to constantly print to keep them in order. For even my cheap Canon Pixma Pro 100, I've gone 3 months, 6 months between the prints without worry.
Epsons are horrible that way. I live in a dry climate which apparently doesn't help. I'm glad to hear this about Canon. Right now I'm on an HP printer (not intended for photos) but it's good to know I could switch to Canon with no worries.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Epsons are horrible that way. I live in a dry climate which apparently doesn't help. I'm glad to hear this about Canon. Right now I'm on an HP printer (not intended for photos) but it's good to know I could switch to Canon with no worries.
I haven't noticed any clogging on my Prograf Pro 4100 and it has a lot of nozzles! But they do not recommend that you leave if off (or without printing) for long periods, and they suggested printing out a little nozzle check once a week if you're not going to use it. You could probably do it less often and be just fine. But I have someone do it if I'm on vacation. So that does take some ink, and someone's time.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I haven't noticed any clogging on my Prograf Pro 4100 and it has a lot of nozzles! But they do not recommend that you leave if off (or without printing) for long periods, and they suggested printing out a little nozzle check once a week if you're not going to use it. You could probably do it less often and be just fine. But I have someone do it if I'm on vacation. So that does take some ink, and someone's time.
One crappy aspect of the whole thing is if ONE nozzle is stubbornly clogged...it cleans all of them anyway, which consumes huge amounts of ink.

Upvote 0
But Canon's never clog.
Not sure about that.

I've had some issues with my Pro 1000 after not printing for several weeks.

It will go through a very long agitation sequence and then error out with a clog message on the screen, and instructions to turn it off and then on again.

It has done this twice in succession a couple of times.

Fortunately, so far, it has resumed working again.

I have also had to replace the print head. The printer spit out an error code and would not work again until I installed a new head. I don't know what triggered it.

I certainly wouldn't want to go months, much less years, between printing and expect it to work.

I now have a reminder to fire up the inkjet printers once a week and print something on glossy and matte papers (different black inks and gloss optimizer that also need to be used).

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Why don't you simply do a nozzle check? This must use all channels.
Correct! That's why I mentioned it above, as I was told to do that by the Canon service person once a week if the printer is not to be used for long periods. I do agree that this uses ("wastes" to some) ink, and why I suggested that one "might" be able to get away with doing this a bit less often if saving ink is of utmost importance. And Yes, ink is expensive, as is the printer itself. Same could be said about RF photography anyway. But the huge framed prints I have hung in my house are worth it (well, to me anyway).

Last edited:
Upvote 0