Simmod Lenses world first – A re-manufactured rear element for a Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Windsor, Ontario, 7 Feb 2023: Simmod Lens has just announced a world first in the field of vintage lenses – a remanufactured glass rear element, for the legendary Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L. True to the ethos of Ron Sim CSC, Simmod’s creator and owner, this is not a luxury for the select few, but

See full article...

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nice mod, but with the RF mount you can simply use an FD-RF mount converter and be done with it without any modification to that precious old glass?
Attaching such a lens on a modern ML is the smartest way of reviving it. With modern DSLRs, the focusing screen in the OVF isn't made for such a super fast lens. I know what I am talking about, I have both an EF 50mm and 85mm II f/1.2 lens. No chance if you try to focus such a lens wide open manually by peering through the OVF on a 5D3 or 4 DSLR - this is pure "lucky imaging".

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Attaching such a lens on a modern ML is the smartest way of reviving it. With modern DSLRs, the focusing screen in the OVF isn't made for such a super fast lens. I know what I am talking about, I have both an EF 50mm and 85mm II f/1.2 lens. No chance if you try to focus such a lens wide open manually by peering through the OVF on a 5D3 or 4 DSLR - this is pure "lucky imaging".
Good point. I had a Canon Eg-S Super Precision Matte Focusing Screen in a 5DMk2 and even with that it was a struggle to manually nail focus with anything faster than f/2.8. On the Mk3 just have to rely purely on AF confirmation but that rules out 'dumb' lenses without an Exif/AF chip. (I modded my Samyang 14mm (now sold) with such a chip for that reason). The EVF on the R5 is a DOF revelation!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0