Preorder the new Canon Gear

Jul 21, 2010
Canon says, "All products are currently scheduled to be available in Spring 2023." Technically, that means between 20-Mar and 21-Jun. Their suitability for travel means hopefully they start shipping in May at the latest.

I preordered the R8 early this morning, still waffling about keeping the preorder but it looks like I've got plenty of time to decide. I need to think about how much I'll miss IBIS for indoor architecture in places where a tripod is forbidden.

Upvote 0
something interesting, I went to order an R50 on my iphone, and it said it would ship by March 12th, but had trouble with the website so I switched to my computer to complete the order, on computer website there is no date listed. I think in their web code, they had dates but maybe they scrubbed it at the last minute so they wouldn't disappoint by promising too soon, and I caught the glitch.
This would be great news for me, as I have a trip to Taiwan set for April and would love to have R50 as a light travel cam.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon UK prices gone crazy. $1499 vs £1699
They haven't gone crazy, it's the same as usual - 13% or so mark up before tax is added in the UK. The EU price is equivalent to £1600, so Canon EU is ripping us off £100. Wait and get one on the grey market. For some reason, the R7 is actually cheaper in the UK than EU, a rare exception.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
They haven't gone crazy, it's the same as usual - 13% or so mark up before tax is added in the UK. The EU price is equivalent to £1600, so Canon EU is ripping us off £100. Wait and get one on the grey market. For some reason, the R7 is actually cheaper in the UK than EU, a rare exception.
I usually buy grey market as it can save hundreds when buying expensive cameras or lenses.

But I think that in an instance where the saving was only £100, I'd buy through an approved UK Canon retailer such as Park Cameras or WEX. It just makes it easier if you have any problems (e.g. dead on arrival), to tackle the company personally, rather than by email.

Upvote 0
I just saw the R8 on an Australian site and it costs $2,999.95! When I convert the USD to AUD it should be around $2,146.00 AUD, I understand there are added costs such as the GST, shipping etc but in my opinion that is just way too much of a price difference.
I haven't seen R8 pricing yet but R50 was:
AUD1300 R50 +18-45mm
AUD1700 R50 + RF 18-45mm & 55-210mm
AUD550 RF 24-50mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM
AUD600 RF-S 55-210mm F5.7-7.1 IS STM

For the first one, the shipping charge ends up being ~AUD50 ( exchange rate AUD1:USD0.7 and 10% GST) so pretty much in line with US pricing. We should also get 5 years warranty. Pre-orders normally get a goodie bundle thrown in. For my R5 it was a strap and battery and tiny SD card

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I usually buy grey market as it can save hundreds when buying expensive cameras or lenses.

But I think that in an instance where the saving was only £100, I'd buy through an approved UK Canon retailer such as Park Cameras or WEX. It just makes it easier if you have any problems (e.g. dead on arrival), to tackle the company personally, rather than by email.
WEX has just opened a store a few yards from where I work, and with the same return policy as they have on-line!

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014

It's just insane the price difference between grey market R5 vs approved retailer price: £2645 vs £4299! o_O

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I just saw the R8 on an Australian site and it costs $2,999.95! When I convert the USD to AUD it should be around $2,146.00 AUD, I understand there are added costs such as the GST, shipping etc but in my opinion that is just way too much of a price difference.
Hmm - you're sure that's not for a kit?

edit: AUD2799 at Digidirect (which is usually pretty competitive). AUD3199 in a kit with the RF24-50.

Upvote 0